2000 Ford Mustang V6 p0174 Code - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
Region: Arizona
Exclamation 2000 Ford Mustang V6 p0174 Code

Hello guys,

I'm a first time poster, hoping someone can direct me to the (most likely) source of issue. My car info: 2000 V6 Ford Mustang convert, 172,000 miles, no major issues, regularly serviced (by myself, most of the time).

Anyhow, recently, the engine has started making a noise resembling an exhaust/air leak, coming from the area of driver side exhaust manifold/exhaust set-up, prior to the catalytic converter. So it's coming distinctly from the front/engine compartment, on the driver side. There was no loss of any performance when it started, and there is no loss now, about two weeks later, although it has gotten louder. Yesterday, it started throwing the P0174 code.

Now I know it's not the MAF/O2 sensors, I've replaced the oxygen sensor and always clean the MAF at regular intervals, just did it about 2 months ago. Also, fuel pump was replaced about 12 months ago and fuel filter about 3 months ago, so it's probably not a fuel system issue either.

I've run some Torque diagnostic data, hoping anyone can assist me with possibly identifying the issue, before I either fix it myself or take it to the mechanic.

Here it is, but let me know if there are any diagnostic test that I can run on Torque (android) that may be of additional info.

Freeze frame information:
Fuel Status = 0 byte
Engine Load = 38.039 %
Engine Coolant Temperature = 95 °C
Fuel Trim Bank 1 Short Term = 2.344 %
Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term = -0.781 %
Fuel Trim Bank 2 Short Term = 6.25 %
Fuel Trim Bank 2 Long Term = 23.438 %
Engine RPM = 2,143 rpm
Speed (OBD) = 68.351 mph

Okay, hoping someone can assist me, or if they know of a similar thread, can point me in the right direction. My thinking is the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets should be replaced, possibly all gaskets, including head.

Let me know your thoughts gentlemen and thank you, your expertise is much appreciated!

dsubzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Mississippi
Cut a hose several feet in length. Stick the hose in your ear while the car is cranked. Now pin point the noise. Use the hose like a stethoscope.
When was the last time you had the fuel injectors professionally cleaned? 172,000 miles is much wear on fuel injectors.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang