Aerodynamics 101 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Aerodynamics 101

Most people know this, but I thought it was a interesting subject and applied some of my extra time and just curious if anyone is interested?
Having a car designed with airflow in mind means it has less difficulty accelerating and can achieve better fuel economy numbers because the engine doesn't have to work nearly as hard to push the car through the wall of air.
Some high performance cars even have parts that move air smoothly across the underside of the car. Many also include a spoiler to keep the air from lifting the car's wheels and making it unstable at high speeds. One of the weakness of our Mustang is the rear end is not heavy enough and the right rear wing is recommended.
As a car accelerates, its velocity and drag increase, eventually to the point where its drag becomes equal to weight in which case no further acceleration can occur. This means that as the car travels faster and faster, more and more air pushes against it, limiting how much more it can accelerate and restricting it to a certain speed.
Mythbusters did a experiment comparing a reverse body Porshe vs the factory design. Some people stated it was basically put on backwards. Did the engineer mess up or did the original Porshe get better gas mileage?
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...AB401E64E95334
Porsh mythbusters - Bing Videos

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: California
I don't think you have to worry about going fast enough in a mustang that you need to change aerodynamics
CoyoteEatsBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
>"bing.com"

Nope

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t351203/

OfficialMakkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hint: It's more efficient to drive with the windows down at slow speeds as opposed to faster speeds because there's less aerodynamic drag when you're driving slower. At 40 m.p.h. the windows should go up and the air conditioner turned on to help improve gas mileage.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 03-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Soooo... Should I get a better spoiler then? Like, big *** GT Wing?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's actually a legitimate question, what spoilers would you recommend?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMakkyZ View Post
Soooo... Should I get a better spoiler then? Like, big *** GT Wing?
The factory spoiler should be fine. The Gt would control wind better. Just do not get a Cobra spoiler, unless it is a Cobra R. The down force from the Roush and Cobra r wing is amazing. But they are big.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
The factory spoiler should be fine. The Gt would control wind better. Just do not get a Cobra spoiler, unless it is a Cobra R. The down force from the Roush and Cobra r wing is amazing. But they are big.

Yeah, I'm not trying to rice it up or anything, but I'm just not a big fan of the stock spoiler on it. I want something that stands out a little more.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMakkyZ View Post
Yeah, I'm not trying to rice it up or anything, but I'm just not a big fan of the stock spoiler on it. I want something that stands out a little more.
A lot of people on here have done Gt conversions. I think it's hood, side scoops, and a spoiler. If you just want to do the spoiler, it would still look cool. I just can not personally guarantee the rear scoop will be significant. In theory, it should work. The acceleration of an object is its weight minus drag divided by its mass. Weight is an object's mass times the force of gravity acting on it.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The Tricky Aerodynamics of the 2015 Mustang - MustangForums.com

Old 03-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The basic spoiler is ideal. It creates clean flow separation at the trunk. Do not get a spoiler that has space between it and the body of the car- as a general rule. One thing to keep in mind, do you use high speeds enough to justify the constant increase in drag?

Velocity is a speed AND direction. And the air con at speeds varies a lot now, with improvements in technology. Our systems now actually don't constantly run, rather they pulse cold air and stop, pulse, then stop. I wouldn't notice unless I was monitoring the electrical system when I was using the AC the first year. I would always run AC, then use the fan, so on, but was reviewing readouts and there wasn't a constant load- rather it was intermittent, and usually held around a 10-15% loss during the pulses.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I did some further research and found out our car was designed off looks vs the best possible aerodynamic design. The rear of the Mustang actually generates a small amount of lift and at lower speed the wing proves its self useless. The aerodynamic drag of a car is expressed as a coefficient of drag or Cd figure. The Mustang has a
Cd of .36.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The 10-12 have different values for the 6, GT, and GT500. .38, .36, and unknown, respectively. I haven't seen numbers on the 13/14s, yet. And Cd is only part of it, the biggest thing is Cda.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang