Hello all! New to the forum! Misfire/rough idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Hello all! New to the forum! Misfire/rough idle

Like I said in the title, its a 2000 auto with 129k on the clock.

I have been doing some searching around to find something similar on these forums but havent really found anything like my case

EDIT: I did some editing and re wording because when I first typed this post, I was in a rush lol and I thought I probably came off as a bit of an ***.

Some background info that may help: a few years ago, I had gone over a speed bump and it broke my exhaust off the driver side. The PO had installed an aftermarket duel exhaust system all the way. Two completely separate exhaust. Since, I have had the exhaust re-welded, after that the car was pretty damn quiet but has since become more louder up front.

I have recently changed the oil in the car because it was way past due. I have held off on getting things fixed with this car because I had had to fix things on my other car.

So my question is this, I have a "ticking" noise under acceleration that is making me think that Could this possibly be the reason for my misfire? Or do you guys think maybe the weld is starting to break again?

I'm curious if the above could also cause a rough idle that I am having. But then again, I feel that maybe it needs seafoamed and an egr delete.

My CEL isnt on though and I have read on here that it would most definitely throw a code. The only time i have ever had it come on was about 3. but it was for an evap system leak. Even when the exhaust broke off which makes me wonder why it never did come on.

I had a tune up done about two years ago. But I havent changed the plugs and wires since.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sketchificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
with a ticking and misfire, I'd look for a burnt plug wire, then a cracked exhaust manifold...any codes?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You reckon? They are getting to be older by now. And no, like I said the cel has never came on in the years ive owned it but for an evap system leak.

Ive aldo auto crossed the car ;P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I guess with no CEL, just hafta check..?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think I should check by letting it run and disconnecting the wires one by one from the coil pack?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

that would help narrow it down....
Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well i have yet to do any checking on things. Ive been doing a bunch of research about rough idles/misfires and the like. From what ive been reading, people have been swapping in new plugs and wires as well as o2 sensors. Also cleaning the MAF and IAC with no avail.

Im beginning to believe that my issue may be due to a bad battery/alternator?

When my rad fans kick on, my idle will drop down to about 650 and my dash lights dim, then they will rise back up a bit. this is in neutral or park. now if i were at a red light in drive, the idle drops normally to about 650(maybe a little higher) and the fans kicking on would make it drop a little further.

My battery was tested last year in january reading 11 something volts. Clearly i am due for a new battery and am curious as to if this seems to be about spot on to my issue. Its the same battery that was in the car when i bought it back in 2009 i believe?

Any input on this situation is helpful. Im trying to figure out if im on the right path. I guess i can go to an advanced auto parts and have them test my alternator?

Also, i dont have a voltmeter but cant i get a reading from the odometer by pressing and holding the reset button before starting the car?

Edit: I neglected to mention that the car has detonation occur when driving in the last gear (overdrive) and i give it gas. giving it more gas making the transmission downshift stops the pinging.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
you could have several issues: (Check plugs, wires, and Coil pack) (Fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel injectors) and a common one that alot of people overlook but deffinatley is a big factor is clogged Cats. But go with the cheapest fixes first, unless they dont pass the visual inspection. I would inspect your cats, plugs, wires, and coil pack first.
Polished heads, stock lower, 3.8 bottom end, Mac Pro Dumps, Mac O/R H-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xf3 (93 Ortizperformance tune), 03-04 Cobra tb, Lightning MAF, BBK CAI, Stage 2 water/meth kit, 310 LPH Fuel Pump, 39lbs blue top injectors, Mach 1 8.8 w/ 3.55's, steeda springs 1.5", Bilstien shocks/struts,Steeda Caster Camber Plates, M112 blower w/ 3.1 Pulley
h1ck55ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you both for replying. I dont have as much knowledge as I would like on mustang engines. I have done all my work on my 1990 miata. Definitely a lot easier haha.

But the fuel pump was just replaced and everything related to the pump was checked besides injectors and well I guess fuel filter.

I will get to checking these.

How would I go about checking the coil pack? Take it to a shop?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

to check the coil pack you will need to check the resistance(ohms) on each. so get a meter, and if you type it in on youtube there are some examples to show you how.
Polished heads, stock lower, 3.8 bottom end, Mac Pro Dumps, Mac O/R H-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xf3 (93 Ortizperformance tune), 03-04 Cobra tb, Lightning MAF, BBK CAI, Stage 2 water/meth kit, 310 LPH Fuel Pump, 39lbs blue top injectors, Mach 1 8.8 w/ 3.55's, steeda springs 1.5", Bilstien shocks/struts,Steeda Caster Camber Plates, M112 blower w/ 3.1 Pulley
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I vote exhaust manifold leak. My old car had it too. Seems common on our new edges

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I vote exhaust manifold leak. My old car had it too. Seems common on our new edges
the ticking i would say yes, but missfire i wouldnt blame it on that, but its common on the new edges cause the a/c drain is right above the manifold on the passnger side and always drips right on top of it causing it to crack. but thats as easy as a visual inspection to see if its cracked.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
[ QUOTE=h1ck55ter;1973118]the ticking i would say yes, but missfire i wouldnt blame it on that, but its common on the new edges cause the a/c drain is right above the manifold on the passnger side and always drips right on top of it causing it to crack. but thats as easy as a visual inspection to see if its cracked.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir I agree.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well hello again everybody. I've been busy with work so I haven't got to testing the coil pack and what not.

But here's something, I decided to fill up a half tank of shell's V-power(my gas tank filler tube is rusted and leaking. Which leads me to another question, can I get a one piece filler tube OEM and install it without dropping the tank?)

But anyway, I did a few WOT runs and the ticking has either quited or gone away. Much much quieter than before. Possible clogged injector? I checked for cracked manifolds and the welds all look good. Even pass side bellow the a/c drip.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchificus View Post
Well hello again everybody. I've been busy with work so I haven't got to testing the coil pack and what not.

But here's something, I decided to fill up a half tank of shell's V-power(my gas tank filler tube is rusted and leaking. Which leads me to another question, can I get a one piece filler tube OEM and install it without dropping the tank?)

But anyway, I did a few WOT runs and the ticking has either quited or gone away. Much much quieter than before. Possible clogged injector? I checked for cracked manifolds and the welds all look good. Even pass side bellow the a/c drip.

i forgot to mention that bad gas could just be a problem too.lol tend to forget about it. If it is just fill up a few more times to clear it out. try to avoid filling up when a tanker is filling up the station its self, cause it tends to stir up sediments and any water that is down below.

The filler neck...depends if you have the two piece neck or the one piece, if its the two piece you can. You will have to go in from the trunk and work its way out. but getting it back in will be the hardest part, the reason why you are leaking gas is because of the rubber groument that seals the tank to the filler neck. way easier to drop the tank cause the filler neck goes pretty deep into the tank. And these grouments are a B.

questions for you....
1. have you changed your plugs yet? gapped correctly?(two years on plugs can be a big red flag) even if it dosnt throw a misfire code dosnt mean that its not misfiring.
2.changed wires?
3.have you put any additives in the fuel?
4.how old are your cats? (might be clogged)
5.when your driving you stomp on the gas in any gear, what dose it do?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ck55ter View Post
i forgot to mention that bad gas could just be a problem too.lol tend to forget about it. If it is just fill up a few more times to clear it out. try to avoid filling up when a tanker is filling up the station its self, cause it tends to stir up sediments and any water that is down below.

The filler neck...depends if you have the two piece neck or the one piece, if its the two piece you can. You will have to go in from the trunk and work its way out. but getting it back in will be the hardest part, the reason why you are leaking gas is because of the rubber groument that seals the tank to the filler neck. way easier to drop the tank cause the filler neck goes pretty deep into the tank. And these grouments are a B.

questions for you....
1. have you changed your plugs yet? gapped correctly?(two years on plugs can be a big red flag) even if it dosnt throw a misfire code dosnt mean that its not misfiring.
2.changed wires?
3.have you put any additives in the fuel?
4.how old are your cats? (might be clogged)
5.when your driving you stomp on the gas in any gear, what dose it do?
Yeah I know what you mean about bad gas and I'm wondering if the rusted filler tube has possibly partially clogged my fuel filter.

I believe its a one piece though; haven't really looked. I've just looked through the wheel well lol. But I have seen how they are a B in a YouTube video.

Now for #1-2 plugs and wires will need to be replaced soon for sure. I'm just curious if it can be done without removing anything. (The only car I've worked on in depth was a miata so I'm a bit of a noob on the mustangs)

#3 I have put Lucas fuel system cleaner in with as much gas as I could before it started leaking during fuel up

#4 I have no idea how old the Cats are. They could be newer when the PO put in the divorced dual exhaust. Wouldn't bad cats throw a code in on of the O2 sensors? (I will log some data on my obd2 scanner and see if anything stands out)

#5 it being an automatic, when I stomp on the gas as of last night or yesterday(since I put in the V-power) it'll downshift right away and take off. The engine doesn't hesitate, just sounds healthy. I did have a slight ping until this premium has fully cycled in. Now upon heavy acceleration it sounds good.

Unfortunately I just threw 500+$ at it for tires lol

Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Bumpiddy bump bump

Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

plugs and wires are easy, just do them first.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang