Advise needed. Should I buy it? Different year used 8.8 + gears/posi? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Region: Connecticut
Lightbulb Advise needed. Should I buy it? Different year used 8.8 + gears/posi?

Alright, so I originally had plans to do exhaust but I'm not sure if this is an offer too good to pass up. I was planning to do gears in the future so this might work out. Note: I have a 2004 v6 mustang 5 spd

Searching the ole' craigslists and saw two ads.

Ad #1: 97 GT stock 8.8 rear end w/ 2.73 gears $150

Ad #2: recently 2002 GT Rebuilt Ford mustang 8.8 rear rebuilt with Carbon Clutch packs and have a set of 373 gears $125 obo posi $100 obo gears

Questions to answer:

1. The gears from the 2002 GT *would not* fit the 97 rear end correct?

2. The posi (limited slip differential right?) *would* fit the 97 GT 8.8 though, unlike the gears correct?

3. Do I even need to install a posi, does the 97 GT have one?

4. What kind of install would be required/what might a shop charge to install the posi and lets say 4.10 gears if I bought them? Thats $150 rear end + 125 posi + 140 gears + ??? for labor. (I'll try to install the rear end myself, just need the gears and posi put in)

Thanks in advance! (It'd help if each question was answered in the space between each question! )

zachsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Mississippi
1. yes 86-04 pumpkins will interchange
2./3. 97 has posi
4. around $1000 for 4.10 installed
the 3.73 pumpkin will be much cheaper installed. How much? Good question. Get a quote from someone you trust because working on a rear end is a mech. version of surgery. I will take a engine apart and put it back together. I will not touch a rear end.
Trust me, people love to correct me but I am still 97% accurate.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Region: Colorado
It cost like 800 to completely rebuild my old 2v. Get option 2
TomFromMySpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: California
Get the 02's the 97 8.8 is not as wide. The 3.73's will be plenty so just use those.

The rear-end swap is surprisingly really easy, it's just kinda heavy. It bolts right up.
I put an 01 8.8 on my 95, I think it's like half an inch difference between the 94-98 and 99-04 8.8's. I really think it made a difference in the stance of my stang though with the wider rear-end.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang