Low gas mileage, gas leak and smell - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Region: New York
Low gas mileage, gas leak and smell

Hey all..

I have a 2000 Mustang v6..

I have a secondary air injection pump CEL but I doubt that is affecting my gas as the only purpose of that is to heat up the catalytic converter.

Now when I fill my tank up to full, I saw it leaking from what looked like the top of the tank. Havent filled it up full since..

There is a strong raw gas smell coming from the rear of the car and my gas mileage is horrible.

Ive read that it might be the gas filler neck or gromet.

If so, how would I go about replacing this?

Thanks

Evan
evan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Open up the gas door.....notice the three bolts....disconnect the 3 bolts....now push the metal out of the hole. The gas filler neck is just a rubber hose and held on at the bottom by a metal clamp. The clamp usually comes loose or breaks. Now repair.......push back in the hole and bolt up.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 PM   #3

Region: New York
thanks for the info.. One question.. would the bad filler neck gasket lead me to have bad mileage though? I understand that the gas would leak out if filled up too high at the station, but what about when Im driving when its under 1/2 a tank. Potholes and bumps making the gas leak from that area or could it be that gas might be flooding into cylinders?
evan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Gas evaporates and the fuel injection system is based off pressure. I would fix the first problem and see how things act. The 05+ Mustangs have a gas cap sensor. Keeping everything sealed tight is very important.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang