Ugh... Another Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Ugh... Another Problem

So, 2000 v6 automatic. It has around 130k miles and I swear that it will never be completely fixed. Anyway, its having trouble starting up now. When its warm outside there is a horrible vibration when trying to start it and it sounds like its spinning really fast, but it does eventually start without having to turn the key a second time. When its cold there is almost no vibration, but you can hear it spinning slower and it sometimes requires a second turn of the key to start. It has progressively gotten worse over the past month or so. My opinion is a starter or alternator maybe. There is no check engine light, but occassionally the red batter light will flicker when trying to start the car. Since I have owned the car (about a year) the batter, coil pack, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, and a few other things have all been replaced. The car is pretty much stock... so any ideas? Haha
Oh, and once the car is started it runs just fine. It idles fine, and has never had any sort of hiccups while driving or anything. Its just the start-up. Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Interesting... I was going to say starter until you mentioned the red battery light.
The only thing that triggers that light to come on is the alternator not charging. so I would assume alternator... but I don't think that would cause the issue your having ...
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
My best guess would be starter but wait to get more credible opinions before diving in.
No engine/performance mods (yet). Mach 460 sound system, 2 12" alpine subwoofers in a custom box w/ 1800watt kenwood amplifier. Smoked halo headlights, smoked sequential taillights, black bullitt staggered rims, racing stripes, and plastidipped spoiler. Future exterior mods - Chin spoiler, black fuel door, and demon fender flares (plastidipped).
2000v6_Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Go get alternator checked for free at a shop or auto parts store. Then you will know for sure about that, and if it's bad replace that. If it isn't bad or that doesn't solve that I would replace the starter. Of course it could simply be a wiring problem where the connection isn't getting much power to the starter.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a similar situation with my GTO. Batt and starter tested perfectly, multiple times at Autozone on there tester. Ended up finding a bad ground wire that ran from the batt to block. Replaced it, and all was well again.
Good luck.
Troy
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Ill try to go by an auto store and get the alternator tested. Is there any way to test for a bad wire? Or is it just hit and miss? Sorry, im not incredibly mechanically inclined lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang