Need advice! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Need advice!

So I went to Maaco today to get a quote on my 99 mustang. I've got some pretty bad rusting and bad paint chips alone the bottom of the drivers door and wheel wells, same on passenger side. But my car is pretty high in kms...I was quoted for 1400$ to repair the rust spots and repaint it, should I go ahead and do it or just touch it up the best I can for the time being? I'm scared I'll put that money into it and the engine will crap out or something..need some serious advice my fellow mustang enthusiasts!!
jessica99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
What's the details on the car? How many miles? Is it running good?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
What's the details on the car? How many miles? Is it running good?

Yeah it's running pretty good. Few minor problems but nothing crazy. It's got 226,000 kms on it. Not sure what that is in miles. My biggest problem right now is probably that the radio doesn't work (which I'm replacing this week) and then the rust spots..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
God
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
if you can't find anyone to do it for cheaper, and if you don't want to do it yourself in fear of messing something up then i say pay the $1400 if you love you're car that much. If you were gonna trade it in for a new car within a year or so then i'd say leave it but if you see yourself keeping it for a long time then do it.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
if you can't find anyone to do it for cheaper, and if you don't want to do it yourself in fear of messing something up then i say pay the $1400 if you love you're car that much. If you were gonna trade it in for a new car within a year or so then i'd say leave it but if you see yourself keeping it for a long time then do it.

I definitely plan on keeping this car. That's why I wanna make it last and do the best I can for it. My only fear is because It's high in mileage I don't wanna spend that money and something go wrong
Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica99 View Post
I definitely plan on keeping this car. That's why I wanna make it last and do the best I can for it. My only fear is because It's high in mileage I don't wanna spend that money and something go wrong
Rebuild the motor

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
God
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica99 View Post
It's a Chance to take honestly. If it's running fine now then i say do it, but its all up to you.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I am in the same situation... love my car... needs some loving tho..
no rust or dents but rock chips and scratches... got a quote from a paint shop for 1800 cash.
Is it worth putting the 1800 into the car to make the body in great shape and look good.. I would think so...
I have owned many vehicles.. seems like every couple years I have bought a new car or truck for 3-4k and just bagged it till I needed a new ride..
I don't think someone without a car payment every month should worry about sinking a few dollars into there car when needed.

That being said.. yeah your car has high kms...
if you have the money.. get the paint done...
now your body is nice.. and if the motor does start going on you...
well you will have a nice car so you wont mind throwing a few dollars under the hood. but if the car is all rusty and looks like junk and something starts going on the engine.. you will probably look at the car and say f that
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
I am in the same situation... love my car... needs some loving tho..
no rust or dents but rock chips and scratches... got a quote from a paint shop for 1800 cash.
Is it worth putting the 1800 into the car to make the body in great shape and look good.. I would think so...
I have owned many vehicles.. seems like every couple years I have bought a new car or truck for 3-4k and just bagged it till I needed a new ride..
I don't think someone without a car payment every month should worry about sinking a few dollars into there car when needed.

That being said.. yeah your car has high kms...
if you have the money.. get the paint done...
now your body is nice.. and if the motor does start going on you...
well you will have a nice car so you wont mind throwing a few dollars under the hood. but if the car is all rusty and looks like junk and something starts going on the engine.. you will probably look at the car and say f that

That is extremely true and very well said!! Thanks a lot!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I think that was really well said too. My car still looks pretty good overall but had some under-hood issues here or there. It was honestly pretty frustrating and I was like "after this dies, no more American cars". Then I took it to a friend who I found out runs a shop and it turns out the stealership was messing things up. My wife recently got my car detailed and it looks really really good again and Im happy with the car. Im still going to plan to eventually get something else (eyeing up the 2015 stang at some point next year), but since Im happy with how the car is looking again, I know I wont mind spending here or there to keep her running.
vadersaysno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Qs
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang