1996 v6 3.8 overheating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
1996 v6 3.8 overheating

Hello! I'm new to this forum. I signed up because my sister bought a mustang that is overheating. I'm trying to find some clues add to what is going wrong with it.

Here is the storey, the other day when getting off the freeway she noted the car had significantly less power and shortly there after the check engine light began to blink in her face.

She pulled over and started to notice white smoke after turning off the engine.

She got it towed home and I took a look at it after work. I found coolant on every possible place of the engine, and the rubber portion of the heater house assembly was blown apart.

So I went to the local auto parts store and got quoted a price of 120$ for the assembly. I decided to grab one for 5 bucks at a junkyard instead.

Anyway, after installing it and filling the radiator with water, it overheats when driving.

Now I'm definitely not a mechanic, I did what any person would do logically. Now I'm nor so sure what the problem is.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some pointers on what to check next.

Thanks!
Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Make sure that the cooling fan is coming on.
If that is working, I'd replace the thermostat. It's inexpensive and easy to replace. The thermostat is located in the housing on top of the engine where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine.
Also, "burp" the cooling system, after you fill it with coolant, by squeezing the upper radiator hose while the radiator cap is off, to remove the air from the system.
And, only use distilled water mixed 50/50 with coolant as the minerals in tap water can sometimes, very quickly, corrode the aluminum in the cooling system.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
^ /thread

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t351203/

OfficialMakkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Stray took the words right outta my mouth. Often times when you overheat, it'll break your thermostat and cause it to not open and close properly, making your car overheat again
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

b urp the system
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 AM   #6

Region: Washington
Assuming that you have a little mechanical knowledge. I went through the same things with my 3.8. I eventually found coolant leaking from the front of the block from what I thought was a crack. There is a water jacket part, made out of aluminum that bolts to the front of the block The gaskets leak and the aluminum can warp. To understand what I am talking about, it would help to look at a schematic of the engine. I paid about a grand to get a new water jacket, water pump, bottom hose, and serpentine belt. No leaks now.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #7

I changed the thermostat and the heater house assembly that blew up. I'll load it up with coolant tomorrow and burp it, hopefully that will be the end of it. It's my sisters car, so putting more money into it is our of the question hahaha. Thanks for the ideas so far guys!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

I double posted and meant to post the other one last night. so I'll use this one to say is all fixed. Does anyone know if it's possible to post pictures with the Forum Runner application?

Anyway, New thermostat, some coolant, burped. Problem solved. I thought the thermostat would be a bigger job, because I'm not really a mechanic. But i noticed the old one did not have any sealant on the gasket, and had obviously been changed before because the bolts weren't the same. It looked pretty nasty in there though. .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang