02 v6 Cold air intake loud popping sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
02 v6 Cold air intake loud popping sound

Just installed a new SR performance cold air intake and revved it in the driveway and no issues, smooth idle- but then took it out for a ride and was a bit sluggish at first, then that cleared and it started popping loudly twice coming from what sounded like the filter itself when I started layin on the gas a bit so I took my foot off the pedal and it stopped- some people were saying it's possibly running lean but I'm not sure how unless it's a vaccuum leak in the intake because one of the holes had to be plugged up since it doesn't hav a IAT sensor to plug into it on the 2002 v6. Anyone else having this issue or had it and fixed it? They said it doesn't require a tune when just switching to this intake and the rest of the car is completely stock
TxHxE MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Try cleaning the MAF or replugging it.
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHxE MadHatter View Post
Just installed a new SR performance cold air intake and revved it in the driveway and no issues, smooth idle- but then took it out for a ride and was a bit sluggish at first, then that cleared and it started popping loudly twice coming from what sounded like the filter itself when I started layin on the gas a bit so I took my foot off the pedal and it stopped- some people were saying it's possibly running lean but I'm not sure how unless it's a vaccuum leak in the intake because one of the holes had to be plugged up since it doesn't hav a IAT sensor to plug into it on the 2002 v6. Anyone else having this issue or had it and fixed it? They said it doesn't require a tune when just switching to this intake and the rest of the car is completely stock
TxHxE MadHatter,

The SR Performance CAI certainly does not require a tune, so you shouldn't have any lean issues or popping out the intake. It sounds to me like you definitely have an air leak in the intake. Double check all the connections and clamps. Even tighten down the clamps a little more if possible. Lastly, make sure the IAT sensor port is plugged effectively. If it might be leaking and you're unsure, take some soapy water and put it around the plug. You'll see small bubbles if there's an air leak there.

Give this a shot and let us know how you make out. I'm confident your issue lies there!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'll definitely try that once this rain finally stops- 2 days straight and supposed to continue through tomorrow!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Not to get extremely off topic, but what part of jersey do you live in? Lol I'm over in pemberton.
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm farther north by like an hour- hour and a half in the Bridgewater area lol and on topic I took the front part of the intake apart again (from the MAF to the filter) reconnected it all, re tightened EVERYTHING, whole intake from throttlebody to filter- made sure the stopper was in securely- took it out for a test drive and it feels amazing now, car feels alive now instead of sluggish and I don't feel like I'm gonna break it when I floor it anymore lol retightening all the clamps and everything fixed my issue so far, so hopefully tomorrow it still rides the same way but if not I'll update this thread tomorrow
Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHxE MadHatter View Post
I'm farther north by like an hour- hour and a half in the Bridgewater area lol and on topic I took the front part of the intake apart again (from the MAF to the filter) reconnected it all, re tightened EVERYTHING, whole intake from throttlebody to filter- made sure the stopper was in securely- took it out for a test drive and it feels amazing now, car feels alive now instead of sluggish and I don't feel like I'm gonna break it when I floor it anymore lol retightening all the clamps and everything fixed my issue so far, so hopefully tomorrow it still rides the same way but if not I'll update this thread tomorrow
That's fantastic man! Sounds like you definitely had a small air leak there. CAI's can be a pain in the *** sometimes if they're just a hair too lose. You'll get an air leak and never even realize it.

BTW- I'd disconnect your battery for 20-30mins to clear all of the KAM memory. Your PCM has picked up a lot of faulty data from the air leak and you're better off with a fresh start. You don't have to do this, as the PCM will eventually learn over time. Although, it's an easy way to speed up the process.

Hit me up if you have any other questions or concerns!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake