2004 Mustang v6 cam project - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to ANS
2004 Mustang v6 cam project

I just got all of my goodies in from my sponsor

Will start the build this upcoming Tuesday. Will post pics of process.
ANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Are them 351 rocker arms? You will need other parts to make them compatible for a v-6. The 351 rocker arms are Comp Cam part number MR-819. You will also need hardened push rods.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
Are them 351 rocker arms? You will need other parts to make them compatible for a v-6. The 351 rocker arms are Comp Cam part number MR-819. You will also need hardened push rods.
Lifters: 851-12
Valve springs: 26918-12
Pushrods: 7635-12
Rocker Arms: 1619-12
Cam: 268HR-112

I have all the other small things like retainers, gaskets etc

Am I missing anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANS View Post
Lifters: 851-12
Valve springs: 26918-12
Pushrods: 7635-12
Rocker Arms: 1619-12
Cam: 268HR-112

I have all the other small things like retainers, gaskets etc

Am I missing anything?
Sounds like a good set up. Every thing you need is there. Probably a stupid reminder, make sure you use new head bolts.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like a good set up. Every thing you need is there. Probably a stupid reminder, make sure you use new head bolts.

I saw you can do the springs, and valve seals without taking the heads off. My car has 110,000 miles but I thought the head gaskets would be fine given they are mls. Would it be better for me to take the heads off?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I saw you can do the springs, and valve seals without taking the heads off. My car has 110,000 miles but I thought the head gaskets would be fine given they are mls. Would it be better for me to take the heads off?
It's easier to take the heads off. Just take the spark plug out and I think 100 psi. I do not remember the exact pressure. People say it is a lot harder because the different spring compressor requires your full strength.
Who is tuning your car?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's easier to take the heads off. Just take the spark plug out and I think 100 psi. I do not remember the exact pressure. People say it is a lot harder because the different spring compressor requires your full strength.
Who is tuning your car?
Gotcha, I am going to have see when I get to that point. If I were not to take the heads off for some reason, would the stock head gaskets still be fine (car has never over heat) since they are mls? I spoke with Don at American Muscle and he said I could do a couple log computers through the sct tuner + laptop and send them to him and then he could make a tune. I would do this to get the car driveable, and then take it to Fastlane in Houston, TX.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha, I am going to have see when I get to that point. If I were not to take the heads off for some reason, would the stock head gaskets still be fine (car has never over heat) since they are mls? I spoke with Don at American Muscle and he said I could do a couple log computers through the sct tuner + laptop and send them to him and then he could make a tune. I would do this to get the car driveable, and then take it to Fastlane in Houston, TX.
How are you going to get to the lifters? Because they are below the heads. If you had a 98 or older I would recommend changing the head gaskets.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How are you going to get to the lifters? Because they are below the heads.
I thought there is enough room to remove them once I take the pushrods out.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought there is enough room to remove them once I take the pushrods out.
I did not think about it. After you take the cam and balancer out you should have plenty of room. Don't forget about taking the cam spacer off the factory cam and putting it on the new cam. Someone for got on another sight. The car would not run and they had to strip it all down again. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders everything should be smooth sailing.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did not think about it. After you take the cam and balancer out you should have plenty of room. Don't forget about taking the cam spacer off the factory cam and putting it on the new cam. Someone for got on another sight. The car would not run and they had to strip it all down again. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders everything should be smooth sailing.
Thank you for the advice. I hope I have a good head on my shoulders, I guess I will find out when I crank the car. I been slowly building the car up overtime. I compete in sound shows (IASCA) and wanted to give it some more grunt. I saw you have in your signature 1.7 roller rockers. Does this mean you have a cam as well? If so were happy with the power gains?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I hope I have a good head on my shoulders, I guess I will find out when I crank the car. I been slowly building the car up overtime. I compete in sound shows (IASCA) and wanted to give it some more grunt. I saw you have in your signature 1.7 roller rockers. Does this mean you have a cam as well? If so were happy with the power gains?
I just have the 1.7 rocker arms. They are worth 8 hp. The 1.8s are worth 20 hp. but are more often a cam substitute because they are not compatible with most cams. I had a 218/226 cam with all the bells and whistles but, I just sold everything except the 4.2 parts.
What kind of set up are you running for pro competition sound. IASCA is the best.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just have the 1.7 rocker arms. They are worth 8 hp. The 1.8s are worth 20 hp. but are more often a cam substitute because they are not compatible with most cams. I had a 218/226 cam with all the bells and whistles but, I just sold everything except the 4.2 parts.
What kind of set up are you running for pro competition sound. IASCA is the best.
In the mustang (First competition will be this summer):

Pioneer DEH-80PRS Active Headunit (All crossover points being taken care of here)
Illusion Audio Carbon series tweeters
H-Audio custom made midbass drivers (H-Audio is now Melodic Acoustics)
Dayton Audio subwoofer
Mosconi gladen one 240.2
Mosconi gladen one 120.4
I also did the big 3 upgrade wire kit in the engine bay.
I am tuning the car with the minidsp usb mic and using room eq wizard v5 (great software)

My old car which won first place in 2009 in the rookie class at daytona beach:

Eclipse 5030 headunit (I miss eclipse)
Focal krx2 component set (running with passive crossovers)
JL Audio 12" w6
Steg k2.02
Steg 4 channel (forgot model)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In the mustang (First competition will be this summer):

Pioneer DEH-80PRS Active Headunit (All crossover points being taken care of here)
Illusion Audio Carbon series tweeters
H-Audio custom made midbass drivers (H-Audio is now Melodic Acoustics)
Dayton Audio subwoofer
Mosconi gladen one 240.2
Mosconi gladen one 120.4
I also did the big 3 upgrade wire kit in the engine bay.
I am tuning the car with the minidsp usb mic and using room eq wizard v5 (great software)

My old car which won first place in 2009 in the rookie class at daytona beach:

Eclipse 5030 headunit (I miss eclipse)
Focal krx2 component set (running with passive crossovers)
JL Audio 12" w6
Steg k2.02
Steg 4 channel (forgot model)
To be honest I do not recognize most of your set up. Must be a west coast thing. But I have been out of sound systems for a while.

Congratulations on the win.
I owned a few Orion cheater (red) amps and woofers. They got bought out and went down hill. The reds were rated 25x4 and pushed 800 @ 1/2 ohm. I am afraid to start back up because the Gulf Coast has big noise violations laws and I have no self control. People need to hear it, see it, feel it.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To be honest I do not recognize most of your set up. Must be a west coast thing. But I have been out of sound systems for a while.

Congratulations on the win.
I owned a few Orion cheater (red) amps and woofers. They got bought out and went down hill. The reds were rated 25x4 and pushed 800 @ 1/2 ohm. I am afraid to start back up because the Gulf Coast has big noise violations laws and I have no self control. People need to hear it, see it, feel it.
Actually most of the brands are foreign (Best stuff is now made in Italy, and Germany), imported through a company known as Orca Design. I remember those Orion amplifiers, they are still worth a lot money today. Awesome amplifiers. I own a couple of the older precision power art amplifiers. Sad to see so many good U.S. based companies go under. And I completely understand regarding the sound laws, I have been ticketed several times lol.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually most of the brands are foreign (Best stuff is now made in Italy, and Germany), imported through a company known as Orca Design. I remember those Orion amplifiers, they are still worth a lot money today. Awesome amplifiers. I own a couple of the older precision power art amplifiers. Sad to see so many good U.S. based companies go under. And I completely understand regarding the sound laws, I have been ticketed several times lol.
I owned 2 of the PPI art series (white). They were great, the black ones did not have nice art.

Is that a Screaming Demon coil pack?

Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I owned 2 of the PPI art series (white). They were great, the black ones did not have nice art.

Is that a Screaming Demon coil pack?
No, just a motorcraft, figured I might as well swap my old one with a new one since I had it laying around. I have hear mixed things about the screaming demon coil pack.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I want a sponcer lol
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, just a motorcraft, figured I might as well swap my old one with a new one since I had it laying around. I have hear mixed things about the screaming demon coil pack.
I feel the same way. People on here rate it high, but on other sights they say do not expect much. I called my tuner and he never called me back. I figured he would have the best answer about a $100 mod.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I just got all of my goodies in from my sponsor

Will start the build this upcoming Tuesday. Will post pics of process.

How'd you get a sponsor?
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #21
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummert_96v6 View Post
How'd you get a sponsor?
I have a couple sponsors for competing in IASCA sound competitions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
2004 mustang

« Help | M112 »