engine and tranny swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
engine and tranny swap

So i have a pretty big issue. I just recently put 180,000 miles on my 1999 auto v6 mustang. I have had this car for almost 3 and a half years with no major issues other than exhaust leak. I love this car to death, I have invested a large amount of money into this car over the past years and I can not afford to just buy a new car. Just this past weekend i went home and my engine started knocking hard and after i looked at it I decided to leave it in the drive way. (I go to school about 2 hours from home) i knew that if i tried to drive it I would be on the side of the road within a few miles. it obviously needs an engine swap and I know that will cost me $1500-$2000. what if i bought a totaled 1999 v6 manual and had the shop swap the whole thing....tranny and engine. shouldnt they be able to get all the parts they need for the auto to manual swap out of the other car? also how much are we talking to have this done? i don't car to swap my old stuff into the totaled car when they're done they can junk it all for all i care
Stang_life3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Well there is a few things you have to think about. Whether the car is worth putting any more money into it. If the answers to the question is yes which I assume it is then. The next you must think about what are your goal for this car? Do you want to keep a v6 or do a v8 swap? And if you want to do that it would be more cost effective to just find a gt and part out your v6. If you want to keep it a v6 and daily drive it then your cheapest way of going at it is just throwing in a new motor and keeping it an automatic. Of your trying to save money doing a manual swap is not the to go. There are many more things you have to think about also with each option these are just some main ones I would think about. Good luck man
Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Well there is a few things you have to think about. Whether the car is worth putting any more money into it. If the answers to the question is yes which I assume it is then. The next you must think about what are your goal for this car? Do you want to keep a v6 or do a v8 swap? And if you want to do that it would be more cost effective to just find a gt and part out your v6. If you want to keep it a v6 and daily drive it then your cheapest way of going at it is just throwing in a new motor and keeping it an automatic. Of your trying to save money doing a manual swap is not the to go. There are many more things you have to think about also with each option these are just some main ones I would think about. Good luck man

Thanks looks like I'm going to go either gt motor or do another v6 and keep the auto trans
Stang_life3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
You could get a 97-08 F-150 4.2. You would get a low mileage engine for a reasonable price. A tune and 01-04 fly wheel would be needed. You would also have to cut the main bolts (cover with a bag) or get a 01-04 oil pan. You would gain some serious tq and save some money. Ebay 3.8s are $1650 and engine shops cost more (about$2200)+ all the little stuff like new radiator fluid, oil, ect.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang