Power Steering Fluid Leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Power Steering Fluid Leak

As the title says, my power steering fluid is leaking. It wasn't bad at first but later i noticed its leaking a lot more. The pump isn't leaking, so I'm thinking its the steering rack. Is there a way to tell if i need a completely new rack? Is there something cheaper I could try to get rid of the leak? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
JimmyMosqueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I had a small leak of my own. How bad is the leak? When you fill the reservoir, how many days does it take to get empty?

My leak was small as I said, i used lucas stop leak power steering fluid. Its like syrup and extremely thick. It really reduced my leak, but not completely. I will be taking my car to the mechanics soon to see how to completely stop the leak. Leaks occur from the hoses or the pump itself.
mazen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazen123 View Post
I had a small leak of my own. How bad is the leak? When you fill the reservoir, how many days does it take to get empty?

My leak was small as I said, i used lucas stop leak power steering fluid. Its like syrup and extremely thick. It really reduced my leak, but not completely. I will be taking my car to the mechanics soon to see how to completely stop the leak. Leaks occur from the hoses or the pump itself.
It takes about two weeks before i get completely annoyed of the whining noise. So there is no way at all the fluid could be leaking from the steering rack itself? (What my step father told me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So you're saying you lose all fluid in 2 weeks? You're about where I am. I suggest before you change any expensive parts, try the "lucas power steering stop leak fluid" and so how well that helps you
Old 05-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazen123 View Post
So you're saying you lose all fluid in 2 weeks? You're about where I am. I suggest before you change any expensive parts, try the "lucas power steering stop leak fluid" and so how well that helps you
I've tried Lucas and it seems as if it didn't do a single thing.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh then your power steering leak is much more serious than mine. Have it inspected by professionals, they will pin point it for ya. Unless u can jack it up and look around for the source of leakage
Old 05-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #7

I would have it checked ASAP. But if you want to try and figure it out yourself, you might want to check the boots on your rack and pinion or check your hoses some dirt has to be sticking around there. I experienced a similar leak but just controlled it with Lucas when I finally had it fixed I failed to realize that the power steering fluid had gotten on my lower ball joints and ate up the rubber on them, it dried them out and made them brittle. Next thing I'm having to tow my car to the shop cause the balljoint broke.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang