Catalytic Converter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Catalytic Converter

Question my car has been giving me issues ever since i installed headers, new spark plugs, coil pack n spark cables, doesnt rev over 4k and it hesitates at 3,500 rpm on 3rd and 4th gear but it will reach 4k if i keep a steady slow pace but wont go pass that. i switch everything back to the original coil n cables and it still does it, can my cats be bad since the car has better flowing exhaust? I never had this issue before with my stock headers.
tinezz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A lot of things can cause hesitation, mine hesitated when I installed my CAI, one of the clamps slipped off just enough so I couldn't see it. hesitated, and the exhaust popped a lot.

Also stock is had exhaust manifolds, not headers.
I've read that cats can cause hesitation, if you don't have emissions test you could just knock the insides of the cats out, or cut them off.
My brothers truck had a bad cat, it burned the insides of the cats out eventually though lol.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
A lot of things can cause hesitation, mine hesitated when I installed my CAI, one of the clamps slipped off just enough so I couldn't see it. hesitated, and the exhaust popped a lot.

Also stock is had exhaust manifolds, not headers.
I've read that cats can cause hesitation, if you don't have emissions test you could just knock the insides of the cats out, or cut them off.
My brothers truck had a bad cat, it burned the insides of the cats out eventually though lol.

Lol nice! I feel the car wants to go but just doesnt and i also hear crackling coming from the cats i first thought the exhaust since i have in front of the axel but i can hear it underneath the front seats, i live in Nevada not sure if they require them for smog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Your check engine light would be on. It would say the o2 sensors are out. You must pay some with a professional diagnostic machine to tell you the o2s are not out and the cats need replaced.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
Your check engine light would be on. It would say the o2 sensors are out. You must pay some with a professional diagnostic machine to tell you the o2s are not out and the cats need replaced.

I took to autozone and it gave a code but it had different things that came up, but when i push the car to go the check engine light flashes but it doesnt say solid
Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
2nd check. Have some push the gas with your hand near the exhaust. If the exhaust gasses do not flow freely the cats are clogged. You will feel the flow restriction when the gas is pushed. EGR code?

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I thing i have notice is my mpg went to **** from 280 miles to 250 if i am lucky on a fuel tank
Old 05-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And it runs hotter than normal
Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I know this, check your spark plug firing order. Same thing happened to me including the flashing CEL. I have a 2000 and the firing order is different from a 01-04. Has to be spark plugs firing order, spark plug gaps, or blocked exhaust.
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post
I know this, check your spark plug firing order. Same thing happened to me including the flashing CEL. I have a 2000 and the firing order is different from a 01-04. Has to be spark plugs firing order, spark plug gaps, or blocked exhaust.

So i checked the spark plug gap and from 4-6 were at almost .060 and 1-3 were at .054 so now they are all gap the same but my driver side cat was cherry red which means my cat is clogged up
Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinezz82 View Post
So i checked the spark plug gap and from 4-6 were at almost .060 and 1-3 were at .054 so now they are all gap the same but my driver side cat was cherry red which means my cat is clogged up

Mine was too, almost like lava red. Found out it was the firing order. Just double check before spending more $$ on new cats.
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post
Mine was too, almost like lava red. Found out it was the firing order. Just double check before spending more $$ on new cats.

I've checked the firing order and i got it correct now, for my year it goes 123 passenger side and 564 on driver even checked on msd website and thats how it shows it
Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Want to say thanks guy for helping me with this issue but today my car started to run normal again lol going to work it wouldnt run over 20mph and all of a sudden the rpms jumped up and the car started to run normal again not sure what happen but the problem seems to be gone! Once again thanks guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang