HELP PLEASE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

HELP PLEASE

Can someone PLEASE give me a detailed description of what an exhaust system is and what the components are from headers, manifolds,midpipes,muffler, etc., I just know words but I have no knowledge on what goes together, what every part is, what to buy..etc, etc.,
GodKreatedDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Top is your stock v6 exhaust. Bottom is what you're aiming for.
Detailed guides:
Understanding Mustang Exhaust Systems
How to Upgrade a 1999-2004 V6 Mustang's Exhaust

As to what you should buy, there's so many options. Do you want performance? Sound? etc. Along with cost of the actual exhaust system factor in costs to install it. Also look up exhaust clips on youtube to get an idea.
Miri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
First you start with the headers. They are not in the picture above. Headers connect directly to the head. Next are the cats. The first 4 kind of round things you see. Next is the mid pipe. That is where the v connects. On the v-8 the mid pipe is specifically a h pipe. Looks like a h so they made the name easy. The next big round thing is your muffler. This is where a lot of sound is created.

http://blog.modbargains.com/exhaust-system-101/

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i think my problem is knowing what goes with what.. i know an exhaust includes a manifold/header, midpipe(y for stock),type of exhaust(catback,*what are some some other?*), and then mufflers...i just dont know how stuff joins and connects..like i see catback exhaust that say bolts to factory y pipe, well if i want a true duel exhaust wont i need to put in an h or x pipe then and h or x pipe exhaust, or use a conversion kit? and then lets say I want a pypes catback exhaust, is it then possible to put in flow master mufflers to replace the pypes mufflers? i need to know how all this stuff joins and works together
GodKreatedDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodKreatedDude View Post
i think my problem is knowing what goes with what.. i know an exhaust includes a manifold/header, midpipe(y for stock),type of exhaust(catback,*what are some some other?*), and then mufflers...i just dont know how stuff joins and connects..like i see catback exhaust that say bolts to factory y pipe, well if i want a true duel exhaust wont i need to put in an h or x pipe then and h or x pipe exhaust, or use a conversion kit? and then lets say I want a pypes catback exhaust, is it then possible to put in flow master mufflers to replace the pypes mufflers? i need to know how all this stuff joins and works together
With exhaust, you can make any sort of configuration you want. It's a matter of welding and fitting everything into place. If you bolt up a converter back system (bolts directly to the stock y-pipe), you can swap in or out any mufflers you want. The exhaust shop/mechanic/whomever will simply cut and weld to fit whatever you're replacing.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang