More control over your automatic mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

More control over your automatic mustang

Not many know that automatics can have almost as much control as manual cars. Today i found that out because of sheer curiosity and just a random Idea. I was in 4th gear at 40mph, I turned the Over drive off so I was put into 3rd, then I downshifted into 2nd and I pressed the gas and boy was that a good feeling all this time And I thought i could never control all the gears. We automatic drivers can control and go through all 4 of our gears as we please! You can start in 1st, shift into 2, shift into D, then turn on overdrive to shift into 4th. Almost exactly like a manual! This is not particularly bad for the trans as long as you dont over rev and down/upshift ina. Reasonable, smart manner. Dont throw it into 2nd at 90mph, then you're screwed....lol. Just felt like sharing this with anyone that doesnt know, I mean I had my car for 1.5 years and I just discovered all the control we have!
mazen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
when I race, I leave it in first then slam in into drive.
Pulls harder off the line, I think it shifts out of 1st too soon.

If you want full control, You could swap in a older AOD or C4 non-electronic transmission and install a manual valve body.
It's what all the drag racers use at my track, doesn't matter if it's a 2-speed,3-speed, ford, chevy or dodge. It gives them more control over the transmission.
I think are transmission have safety switches or something in them.
Manual valve bodies shift a lot harder.
It's no longer an automatic with a manual valve body though, You HAVE to upshift and downshift through all the gears when accelerating and stopping. improper use could damage your tranny with a manual valvebody.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
when I race, I leave it in first then slam in into drive.
Pulls harder off the line, I think it shifts out of 1st too soon.

Thats when u gotta be careful. Skipping gears like that would wear out your trans more. But once in a while you'll be fine, since you're only doing it while raceing
mazen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

it's not skipping gears, when its drive it shifts by it's self.
So it shifts into 2nd and then 3rd.
I just don't like how it shifts out of 1st to quickly.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I only shift like that from D to OD.never down shift until I come to a complete stop, and 4.10 gears make it feel more alive!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
racks2relax is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang