M112 V6: Fact vs Fiction - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #106
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Re: M112 V6: Fact vs Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post

Now, since I have nothing more intelligent to say...

:pancake:

want to say something intellegent, quit trying to compare a 4.2 to a 4.6 when as you stated yourself, they are only .4L difference, try to stick with the 3.8 VS 4.6 argument and i will be truly impressed.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #107
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
2) im saying the programs are not very good at measuring power because it lets you use unrealistic combinations, and if you dont have enough piston/valve clearance,i doubt you make any power with valves pushed through your pistons.
Any tool is only as good as the tool using it. To say a software package is not very good because it lets the user do some stupid things if they try really hard is pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
3)sorry to break it to you but PV=nRT has NOTHING to do with this discussion, not even related, yes physics and some chemistry can be used to guess power but that would take entirely too much math because you have to go as far as figuring the exact octane of the fuel you just bought.
pv=nrt has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with I was talking about. You talk like you know what the equation is about, but I'm really starting to doubt it. Anyone can do a quick google search and tell me it's the ideal gas law. But you obviously do not have the ability to apply the equation to simple real-life situations.

Rob said that since the V6 is running a higher PSI that the blower must be working harder. I disagreed and used pv=nrt to show why. BECAUSE... assuming the blower is moving the same amount of air (n), the same type of air (r), and at the same temperature (t)... but into a SMALLER space (v), then the pressure (p) will increase. The blower does not have to move ANY more air for the pressure to increase. Simply moving it into a smaller volume will cause the PSI to go up.

Now... do you want to tell me how it has nothing to do with what I was talking about some more? I'd love to continue to explain what you missed in those 16 credit hours..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS
this is directly contradicting the statements that you are arguing for, originally it was better for it to be more restrictive because it makes more boost. and the comparisoon was originally about a stock 3.8, with no other mods.
No, because I have never said anything about a stock V6. I have told you repeatedly that I am not, and will not, talk about a stock V6 in this thread because that is not what this thread is about. You and others are the ones stuck on the stock V6. This thread is about modified V6s. Hell, by nature any V6 Mustang with an Eaton is not a stock V6. So what you keep trying to talk about is IMPOSSIBLE.

Quote:
this is the most rediculous thing that has been posted in this thread yet...you are saying the v8 has to be broken for the v6 to make more power? i now realize that you are unfamiliar with the argument. it is about a 99-04 v6 and a 03-04 cobra, the cobras do not have distributers, and they have 4 cams that are blower friendly.
No, I'm not saying it has to be broken. I said myself that they are "extreme" examples. And my bad on the distributor... You are missing the point though. I guess that's a common theme here.

Quote:
also, the argument was about a stock v6 and you keep bringing up mods, im not saying a v6 CANNOT make more power than a v8 which i have clarified several times, you need to calm down and go read the explanation of the argument. stop already with all the cams/heads/crank mods, it is about a stock 3.8 and a stock 4.6 both with just an eaton...NO HEADS,CAMS,OR CRANK, if you bore and stroke the 3.8 to a 4.2 and port the **** out of it, then you are only agreeing with waht im arguing because it is no longer stock, now try to find another loophole but you have accomplished nothing, just 3 paragraphs of information that is irrellevant to this argument as was your physics comment that you cannot back up with numbers"but somebody can"
Then what ARE you saying? This thread is about modified V6s, not stock... which I have clarified several times. With ported heads, and bigger valves, and aftermarket valve springs, and cams, and cranks, and pistons, and rods, and tunes, and exhaust, and intakes, and etc., etc., etc...

Now let's make it real fun... I think some modified V6s with an Eaton could make more power than SOME modified Cobras.

I said it.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #108
Road Trip!

im saying the software packages that i have seen are just plain rediculous and most of them are innacurate to the point that your better off using the calculator.

i mis-understood your use of the equation because you misunderstood what rob was saying, he says the blower is working harder because it is generating much more heat than a cobra which is running an intercooler, i know rob understnds that the eaton on a 3.8 will make more boost at lower rpm than on a cobra, we have already established that, doesent mean its making more power because the blower IS working harder due to the backpressure created from the restrictive heads.on the same note, if you change the 3.8 to a 4.2, the boost will not increase that much therefore contradicting the psi increase by putting the air into a smaller space because its not that much smaller than the 4.6.all of this was explained to me in the previous thread that was locked.but was explained using a 3.8

as far as you taking a shot at my education, im an inspection administrator at a hydrogen plant, we use pressures and temperatures to make gasses from other compounds using equations and techniques you dont have a clue about, just so i know, what education and expierience do you have with that equation other than using it to run calculations on your fox?

you may not have said anything about a stock 3.8 but that is because you decided to jump into an argument midstream and pop off at the mouth like you have been knowing whats been going on from the beginning, did you read the first post in this thread?? go do it, it is talking about "stock v6" eaton power.. if i remember correctly it says nothing about a 4.2L...and i know some modded v6s can make more power than some modded cobras, again this is a totally ignorant statement,

if my modded cobra has a stock long block, headers, a pulley and gears, and the v6 has the same mods aslo having a race block bored and stroked to a 4.6 with extrude honed race heads, a massive blower cam, 100 shot of nitrous with an upper and lower pulley on a ported blower, it takes no genius to figure out which one is making more power. i will not even argue over that, but the original arguement was about a eaton on a 3.8 vs. an eaton on a 4.6 that was started a long time before you put your opinion in.
so that statement is entirely to vague to mean anything to me and im not willing to argue it because of how vague it is. in fact i will post the original statement under this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #109
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRoush View Post
(I hope I'm not stepping on toes with this thread.)

I just wanted to get some facts out there about the use of the Eaton M112 on the split port V6 motors.

History:
The M112 off the 03/04 Cobras is a pretty straight forward install on the V6. Back in like 02/03 I was working on making a custom lower intake that would use a water to air IC and mount the M90 on top of it. I wanted a roots set up for my car since it lacked in low/mid range power. I could care less about making power at 4500 rpm or more. When the company I was working with pretty much just walked out on me (and my money), I decided to make something using the M112. I wanted it to meet several goals. 1 - It needed to maintain all the pollution controls (I lived in Texas at the time). 2- I didn't want to use a custom fuel rail, so it had to work with the stock one. 3- I wanted the install to be so easy any novice could do it in a day or two. (Especially with 90% of the V6 owenrs being new to Mustangs.) 4- It had to be cheap.

I came up with the boxed upper idea, had it made and tested it out on my car. I went that route b/c it didn't need a custom fuel rail, didn't mess with the EGR, and didn't need custom plumbing of the coolant line in the lower. Obvisouly, it made it very tall. After having it on about 5 cars and running well, I got with Super Six to mass produce the upper. They are doing so, but it's a taller version. Also, they didn't want to mess with a kit. Nathan (MySteed) and I got together with it, and I'm making the boxed uppers, sending them to him, and he is selling a full kit for it. All you supply are the boost gauge and dyno tune. It will work on any similar spilt port V6 (Windstar 3.8L, F150 4.2L etc...) And yes, there is one installed on a Windstar already. It's a SC'd handicap set up vehicle.

Facts:
Biggest thing to point out is that it will not fit under a stock hood. There have been many issues with this idea. Mine is under a 2 1/2" Y2K Cobra R cowl. The Super Six Motorsports version doesn't fit under a 3" cowl. There are things like cowl design and company that play a role in it. Also, condition of the car itself, if you have worn out motor mounts, a shift in the K member or anything like that, it could impact how it fits. I know mine is close enough to the hood that when I lean on it, I can flex the hood enough to hit the blower pulley.
The M112 is very large when compared to the size displacement of the V6 motor. It will be more than enough supercharger for 99% of the V6 guys out therereally? even being only .4L smaller?. However, with that in mind, any Cobra blower upgrade (KB, Whipple etc...) will work with this set up if you are aiming for more than 600 hp.
Intercooling comes up alot. Neither myself or Nathan are running intercooled set ups. Neither of us have seen major heat soak issues like so many people warn about. Both of us have seen a lot of street use, and never had issues with idling temps in traffic or anything of that nature.

Power:
On a stock bottom end - we suggest staying under 350 hp for starters. There have been cars as high as 450 rwhp with stock bottom ends, but why push luck? The best pulley combo we've seen to start with is the stock blower pulley and use of a 42% Underdrive crank pulley. That will give a stock motor about 300 rwhp. Most of the people installing it are starting with lower boost levels, getting a feel for it, then swapping around pullies to make more power. As far as we know, the only built bottom end this set up is being used on it mine. Others are still using stock bottom ends. interesting!!!!

Gains on a stock motor set up range up to roughly 16 rwhp per psi of boost from a stock blower. Modified split port Mustangs can see mid 20 rwhp per psi of boost. As long as the motor is openned up enough to move the air, and you have a large enough fuel system to supply the gas, you can make more than enough power for the street.

With a built low compression motor, fully ported blower, 2.76" blower pulley, 10% over drive crank pulley(custom made) I was set to push close to 20 psi into my motor. As posted in the other thread, I was seeing 24 rwhp per psi in the lower RPM range, which dropped off to 22 rwhp per psi in the upper RPM range. My N/A 4.2L dyno'd at 247/256 at the wheels prior to blower install.
Using 18 psi as a rough peak boost number and using the lower 22 rwhp per psi to be safe - that puts my car at roughly in the neighborhood of 640ish when it stretched the ARP head studs on the drivers side. Even using the lower gain numbers, it's still upper 500s. Granted there will be nay sayers - and I'm fine with that. I'm not out trying to set records or anything. I just like playing with my car to see what new stuff I can come up with.

That motor will soon be going into another car, a better "blower friendly" cam, tuned again and back to see what it will do. The plan is a Whipple upgrade soon there after.... pending the sale of the Roush.
didnt see a whole lot about a 4.2 in that post...ive already stated a stock bottomend is not a 4.2 when talking about a mustang.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #110
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

heyyyy i just said that! god damn redundancy int his damn thread
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #111
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Rob said that since the V6 is running a higher PSI that the blower must be working harder. I disagreed and used pv=nrt to show why. BECAUSE... assuming the blower is moving the same amount of air (n), the same type of air (r), and at the same temperature (t)... but into a SMALLER space (v), then the pressure (p) will increase. The blower does not have to move ANY more air for the pressure to increase. Simply moving it into a smaller volume will cause the PSI to go up.

Boost is a measure of restriction. The more restriction you have, the more boost you will build. Restriction = must work harder. 4 psi more restriction will cause the other motor to work harder to force that air into the tiny space.

But, we all know reality doesn't matter with you because you will debate just for the sake of debating.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #112
Road Trip!

or about something that isnt being debated about.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #113
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

It really scares me when mikey is making the most sense This thread was humrous in the beginning .But has grown into a extremely asinine, utterly foolish mix of fact and fiction !!!! SimplyOrangeTPS,PureVenom got my vote for getting the facts straight and trying to enlighten the retarded.Great job gentlemen .But you can't cure STUPID

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #114
Road Trip!

i was scared as well...lol
Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #115
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

ya'll watch out, mikey is coming with da facts...
Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #116
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
ya'll watch out, mikey is coming with da facts...
Y'all are pertnear full grown up !!!! must be hanging out with Rob has had a good effect on ya

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #117
Road Trip!

yup, he teaches logically
Old 08-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #118
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
yup, he teaches logically

*insert really funny katie comment her for rob to ream mikey*
Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #119
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
*insert really funny katie comment her for rob to ream mikey*
It was that obvious of a setup huh?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #120
Road Trip!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #121
Road Trip!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #122
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

this thread was full of win and i wasnt even involved!

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #123
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Boost is a measure of restriction. The more restriction you have, the more boost you will build. Restriction = must work harder. 4 psi more restriction will cause the other motor to work harder to force that air into the tiny space.

But, we all know reality doesn't matter with you because you will debate just for the sake of debating.
No, boost is a measure of pressure. The more air you condense into a space, the more pressure, aka boost, you will build. Restriction and pressure are two related, but different concepts.

I debate for the sake of education, not for the sake of debating. Although it is fun... Ok... so maybe I do just do it for the sake of debating. Is that a problem?

Scary stuff.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #124
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
im saying the software packages that i have seen are just plain rediculous and most of them are innacurate to the point that your better off using the calculator.
I would disagree, but to each his own. I think they can be useful tools for understanding how different parameters may effect performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange
as far as you taking a shot at my education, im an inspection administrator at a hydrogen plant, we use pressures and temperatures to make gasses from other compounds using equations and techniques you dont have a clue about, just so i know, what education and expierience do you have with that equation other than using it to run calculations on your fox?
Had you not attempted to flaunt it, I would have had no reason to take a shot at it. I only had one Physics class in college (4 hours), but I did have an A. I also took Physics in high school. I haven't used the equation since college. I do still remember it well though.

As far as "running calculations" on my fox, I've never had to. My SOP meter tells me its making enough power to make me happy, and that's all I'm really concerned about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange
you may not have said anything about a stock 3.8 but that is because you decided to jump into an argument midstream and pop off at the mouth like you have been knowing whats been going on from the beginning, did you read the first post in this thread?? go do it, it is talking about "stock v6" eaton power.. if i remember correctly it says nothing about a 4.2L...and i know some modded v6s can make more power than some modded cobras, again this is a totally ignorant statement,

if my modded cobra has a stock long block, headers, a pulley and gears, and the v6 has the same mods aslo having a race block bored and stroked to a 4.6 with extrude honed race heads, a massive blower cam, 100 shot of nitrous with an upper and lower pulley on a ported blower, it takes no genius to figure out which one is making more power. i will not even argue over that, but the original arguement was about a eaton on a 3.8 vs. an eaton on a 4.6 that was started a long time before you put your opinion in.
so that statement is entirely to vague to mean anything to me and im not willing to argue it because of how vague it is. in fact i will post the original statement under this post
I didn't jump into an argument... I started posting in a thread. No, I didn't read all the other threads. I only read this one.

As for the last statement I made, of course it was vague and meaningless. I guess I should have put one of these after it...

For the record, a stock V6 Mustang with an Eaton strapped to it will make WAY more power than a stock Terminator. I guess I need another one of those here...

If that's how this all got started, then I apologize. I just assumed that would be common knowledge and it couldn't possibly be what all these damn posts all over the ****in' board have been about.

Scary stuff.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #125
Road Trip!

it is what the posts are about, we are trying to get an answer of how a more restrictive motor with less cubic inch can make more power than the one with more cubic inch and better flow, im completely aware that anything can be fast with money, we have a local guy running 9s with a honda hatch...id be dumb to argue that point.we were debating stock for stock from the start...but i too like to debate so i dont hold it against you.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Did some quick research to put together a short facts list to help this along I am listing specs for one year only, and coupes only:

2003 V6 5spd
N/A WEIGHT: 3,069 lb.
N/A HP: 157.5 RWHP
N/A POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB: 0.051
WEIGHT WITH EATON: 3,169 lb
HP WITH BOLT ON EATON ONLY: 286 RWHP
SUPERCHARGED POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB:0.090
HP DIFFERENCE STOCK VS EATON:128.5

SOURCE: Ford Motor Company - Press Release - 1999 Ford Mustang

2003 COBRA 5spd
N/A WEIGHT: 3,465 lb
N/A HP: 284 RWHP
N/A POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB: 0.081
WEIGHT(Supercharger): 3,665 lb.
SUPERCHARGED HP: 370 RWHP
SUPERCHARGED POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB: 0.101
HP DIFFERENCE STOCK VS EATON: 86 RWHP

SOURCE: 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Engine, Chassis, Dimensions, Price & Performance - First Drive & Road Test Review - Motor Trend

Obviously there are some holes to fill in that cannot be filled in without proven dyno numbers. Any assistance would be appreciated as I dont have the finances, time, or skill at this time to attain such numbers. The things I have listed above are the items in which I figured would play the biggest roll in a V6's attempt at a Cobra in the 1/4 and to compare the power gains on the V6 with an EATON supercharger vs the COBRA's power gains from N/A to supercharged with the EATON.

STOCK VS. STOCK
CURRENT POWER DIFFERENCE: 200hp
CURRENT WEIGHT DIFFERENCE: 596lbs. Just shy of 600lbs.

I hope this helps.

ALL POWER/WEIGHT NUMBERS ARE ROUNDED TO NEAREST .001

*SimplyOrange has been tweaking the numbers in this post*
Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

a 99-04 v6 mustang with manual transmission will dyno between 150-165hp/180-195tq stock. 193hp@5500rpms (01+), 225tq@3750rpms~ stock

A 03/04 cobra mustang will dyno between 345-395/345-385 stock. 425hp@6000rpms/405tq@3000rpms~

at least thats what ive seen over the years~ just stock numbers though.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #128
Road Trip!

that is an awesome idea..the factory numbers are probably a little off so if anybody gets real dyno numbers, we will replace them but they are probably close enough for this argument. the only bad thing is, thats flywheel hp,all of the holes will probably be filled with rwhp numbers so we will have to replace the flywheel numbers as we can
Old 08-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #129
Legacy Member
Legacy

All About Superchargers

Quote:
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Nice to see some hard numbers showing up. Lets see how far we can run with them now and settle the argument once and for all. I for one dont want to speculate and would much rather see both dyno and track numbers. Ill take these as fact.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #131
Road Trip!

i editied it using the numbers from spector which are pretty much dead on, i took the low and high from his numbers and took an average, i have seen a bone stock cobra dyno 380 in our hot humid weather, but i dont have a stock v6 in the same condition so i just took the average for fairness,
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #132
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion1 View Post
Nice to see some hard numbers showing up. Lets see how far we can run with them now and settle the argument once and for all. I for one dont want to speculate and would much rather see both dyno and track numbers. Ill take these as fact.
agreed... if there isnt a stock 04 cobra number posted without the eaton, i should have some off of my car soon.

EDIT: i found a few online with that number and no tune,spector are those number with a dyno tune or stock before tune, if the cobra is stock, we need to use dyno tuned numbers as the v6 with an eaton will be dyno tuned.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #133
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
TPS
go to car domain and serch for tomzac, he made 286 whp and 303 wtq @~7psi and 16* of timing on his stock 3.8L

stock 4.2L motors make more obviously but you don't want those right?
im using this for the eaton v6 numbers until somebody posts some better numbers with proof.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #134
Road Trip!

2003 V6 5spd
N/A WEIGHT: 3,069 lb.
N/A HP: 157.5 RWHP (untuned)
N/A POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB: 0.051
WEIGHT WITH EATON: 3,169 lb used the difference in weight between the two cobras and divided by 2 to compensate for the heat exchanger and intercooler
HP WITH BOLT ON EATON ONLY: 286 RWHP
SUPERCHARGED POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB:0.090
HP DIFFERENCE STOCK VS EATON:128.5 actually an impressive increase i think

2003 COBRA 5spd
N/A WEIGHT: 3,465 lb
N/A HP: 284 RWHP (untuned)
N/A POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB: 0.081
WEIGHT(Supercharger): 3,665 lb.
SUPERCHARGED HP: 370 RWHP (untuned)
SUPERCHARGED POWER/WEIGHT RATIO at HP per LB: 0.101
HP DIFFERENCE STOCK VS EATON: 86 RWHP

ok, here is what i came up with using a 03 mach1 for the N/A cobra subject, this was as accurate i could get it, i would really like some true dyno number for them stock and i need a dyno tuned hp number for a cobra, i know its closer to 380 or higher. the N/A cobra numbers are very accurate, he dynoed his car on 2 different dynos and made within 2 hp of these numbers.and he has yet to tune the car.

if anybody has better information, i will update it.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #135
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
No, boost is a measure of pressure. The more air you condense into a space, the more pressure, aka boost, you will build. Restriction and pressure are two related, but different concepts.

I debate for the sake of education, not for the sake of debating. Although it is fun... Ok... so maybe I do just do it for the sake of debating. Is that a problem?
Boost is a measure of restriction...because the less restriction you have the less boost you have. Port/polish the heads, boost goes down. Add a better flowing cam...boost goes down. Put long tubes on, boost goes down.

The boost goes down because the volumetric efficiency of the motor is increasing....therefore less restriction. The less restriction, the less boost.

Now, work in reverse and add more restriction like less space...and you are increasing the restriction which in turn increases the boost.

It really isn't rocket science.

And since you like fancy formulas to back your discussion, well, here are several for you.

Effectiveness of Engine VE Changes with a Positive-Displacement Supercharger - ModularFords.com
Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Wow this has gotten rolling a bit quicker than I expected. Maybe now I can get my rear end questions answered . Im jk of course lol.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #137
Road Trip!

+1 for rob, there are the "other variables" i was talking about. i just didnt know the exact equations to figure all of that.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #138
Legacy Member
Legacy

You guys are making my head hurt

Quote:
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #139
Road Trip!

lol, go smoke a doobie, itll go away.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #140
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Boost is a measure of restriction...because the less restriction you have the less boost you have. Port/polish the heads, boost goes down. Add a better flowing cam...boost goes down. Put long tubes on, boost goes down.

The boost goes down because the volumetric efficiency of the motor is increasing....therefore less restriction. The less restriction, the less boost.

Now, work in reverse and add more restriction like less space...and you are increasing the restriction which in turn increases the boost.

It really isn't rocket science.

And since you like fancy formulas to back your discussion, well, here are several for you.

Effectiveness of Engine VE Changes with a Positive-Displacement Supercharger - ModularFords.com
Oh God... that looks like some of that crazy "math" stuff...

And you're right, it isn't rocket science. It's not entirely straight forward either. I'm still not sure you totally understand what I am saying the difference between the two is.

Boost is not restriction, or a measure of restriction. Boost is a measure of pressure. As the air is compressed, it exerts a force (pressure) on its container. This force is known as "boost". It is usually described in either terms of pounds per square inch of pressure, bars or pascals.

14.64 PSI = 1 Bar = 101,000 pascals (101 kPa) = Atmospheric Pressure

The simplest way to understand this is to assume that 20 PSI of air is stored in a square container (a box). This means that the molecules in the air will be exerting 20 pounds of pressure on every square inch of the container. The container itself is the "restriction".

Now, if you put 80 PSI into the box, it's still the same box. The "restriction" has not changed. The pressure ("boost" in supercharger/turbo terms) has. The force exerted by the air is in no shape, form or fashion a "restriction".

I believe you also misunderstand how changes in volumetric efficiency change boost levels. To be fair, your source did not give a good description of the "whys". So here goes nothing...

Volumetric efficiency simply refers to how effective an engine is at moving air. The higher the volumetric efficiency, the more air an engine will take in through the intake valves on the intake stroke (assuming a four stroke) and expel through the exhaust valves on the exhaust stroke. The amount of air that is present in the combustion chamber is not determined solely cubic inches. It is determined by the capabilities of the intake valves (and everything up to them... heads, intake, etc.) to take in air. AND... the capability of the exhaust valves (and everything after them... headers, mid-pipe, mufflers) to expel air.

The exhaust is important due to something called exhaust scavenging. The exhaust flow out of the exhaust valves creates a negative pressure that sucks residual exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber. Doing so allows air to be more quickly brought into the combustion chamber during overlap (the time when both the intake and exhaust valves are open at TDC).

So the reason boost decreases as VE increases is not entirely due to "less restriction". It is due to the fact that more air is being moved through the engine, while the blower is still moving the same amount of air. This results in less pressure left in the intake tract because there is less air in, relatively, the same space. Of course, each time you port something, etc... There is a "little" more room for the air to occupy. But this is not the main factor decreasing boost. It is not because the air has more room... or less "restriction". It is because there is less air outside waiting to go in through the intake valves, hanging around, and exerting pressure.

Scary stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang