V6 Exhaust Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
V6 Exhaust Question

I have a 2003 V6 that currently has the MAC dual exhaust conversion from AM along with BBK shorty headers. I was wanting to get rid of the Y pipe and have pipe welded in to make it a true dual exhaust system. I was wondering if a factory H pipe from a GT would fit if it was welded in by an exhaust shop? Also, if so, what years of a GT would fit on my 03? Also, anyone who has done this, how much of a difference in tone of exhaust and loudness did you get?
MRYANWEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you brought them the whole H-pipe, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to weld it up to your existing exhaust.
Any 1994-2004 should fit, same bodies(changed the outside styling on the 99-04's)
I ripped the exhaust off of a 2001 GT with flowmaster mufflers, waiting until I have enough to get Longtube headers so I can get it all done at the same time.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYANWEBB View Post
I have a 2003 V6 that currently has the MAC dual exhaust conversion from AM along with BBK shorty headers. I was wanting to get rid of the Y pipe and have pipe welded in to make it a true dual exhaust system. I was wondering if a factory H pipe from a GT would fit if it was welded in by an exhaust shop? Also, if so, what years of a GT would fit on my 03? Also, anyone who has done this, how much of a difference in tone of exhaust and loudness did you get?
You can buy a jegs brand for your car. I had one on my 98 v6 and it fit great. Had a stock 98gt cat back connected to it.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Check with the exhaust shop that you're working with, but it may be cheaper for them to make you a custom Xpipe to mate with the header and catback you already have. Cutting/welding the stock 99-04 GT Hpipe could actually cost more money and fit not as nicely. That of course depends on the shops competence in the their work, but it's worth asking IMO.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
^^^Very good point.

Sometimes a shop can fab up piping much easier. I'd be willing to be that a stock GT h-pipe or even an aftermarket one will not simply drop in between your manifolds and existing catback. They would most likely have to cut to fit and bend which will cost more.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check with my exhaust guy. He's very fairly priced and does great work, so I'm gonna see what we will go with. My guess is an x pipe will be what we decide on. Anyone have any in put on what my v6 will sound like with duals, shorty headers, and an x pipe? I don't want too much of a raspy/ricey sound
MRYANWEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I'll check with my exhaust guy. He's very fairly priced and does great work, so I'm gonna see what we will go with. My guess is an x pipe will be what we decide on. Anyone have any in put on what my v6 will sound like with duals, shorty headers, and an x pipe? I don't want too much of a raspy/ricey sound
I had the jegs 2.25" h-pipe with thrush welded mufflers and it didn't sound to bad. Actually got a few it sounds good comments. I feel you'll be happier with the h-pipe.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I had the jegs 2.25" h-pipe with thrush welded mufflers and it didn't sound to bad. Actually got a few it sounds good comments. I feel you'll be happier with the h-pipe.
+1 I agree, 99% of the time the h-pipes sound better on the sixes. The x-pipes, even the catted ones make the exhaust note too raspy. The v8's can get away with some rasp, the v6's end up sounding too much like a tapped out import.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #9

Any exhaust shop should be able to help you out.

2013 Grabber Blue Mustang, GT 350 louvers, Pypes Pypebomb Axleback Exhaust, 5% Tint, Barton Shift Bracket, Smoked Headlights & Sidemarkers
Despair227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
H-pipe or divorced duals, the x-pipe will sound too raspy.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You can do it at home with simple tools.
I bought the pace setter H pipe from AM for $125 with gt's SLP from Craigslist for $250, and installed it at home in few hours!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust