Caliper replacement!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Caliper replacement!!

We'll the title kinda give you a clue of what I'm going to be talking about, in my last post (which was a long time ago) I posted a weird noise in me front left wheel ad took this long for me to actually have time to look at it because I was got from the states! We'll the reason for this is I was wondering how do I change calipers? And by that i mean the whole caliper it self I got new calipers an new brake pads, also I was told I need brake fluid! So I went to the dealer and got the calipers and now I have been searching on how to replace calipers and can't really find anything for a 2003 V6 mustang 3.8L. Are they all the same on ea car or different? And how hard is it to replace them by your self at a scale from 1-10 is it worth doing by myself with a friend or not?

Ben Chepikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
It's a pretty straightforward job. Did it come with new calipers brackets or just the calipers? Basically all you have to do is disconnect the two slide pin gilts and the banjo bolt holding the brake line on. Be careful though because that brake line is gonna leak brake fluid everywhere if you don't find a way to pinch it off or plug it. Then install your new calipers in reverse order and bleed the crap out of the brake system, make sure to buy a decent amount of brake fluid just to be safe. If you're trying to flush the system then get a proper vacuum bleeder or do the two man system (which will take forever). If you just want to get the air out of the lines and aren't as worried about flushing the system out then you can make a simple catch bottle, like the one in the picture, that will do the job. Just make sure the end of the tube is always submerged in brake fluid so that it doesn't suck up any air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402767634047.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	159238  

Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Mississippi
caliper mustang ford - Bing Videos
It's explained above. But I am going to explain it as if you know nothing about brakes. Watch the full video. The brake system is almost exactly the same.

Remove the bolt that goes to the plastic like hose. Be careful there is a washer on the end of the bolt you do not want to loose. Follow the video and take off the next 2 bolts. Pull the caliper back and you are done.

Put the new caliper on. Screw the 3 bolts on. Have someone press the brake petal 5 times to the floor slow. Now unscrew the bleeder screw. Communicate with the driver. Quickly the brake petal will hit the floor and you will need to retighten the bleeder screw quickly. Repeat several times till the brake feels like original resistance. Fill brake fluid when necessary.

The bleeder screw kinda looks like a small funnel with a hole on one end and a nut on the other.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
We'll I have changed both of the calipers with takes with a flush and new brake fluid!!! My are is finally in good shape and ride perfect! Thank you all for your help, i learned a little from everyone!
Ben Chepikov is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang