Going with a bigger motor? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: New Hampshire
Going with a bigger motor?

Hey everyone im throwing this out there cause the idea popped into my head recently and I wanted to throw it by you all.

I love my car, but am thinking I would like the more horse power and to do some other stuff to it. So here is my thought

I plan on this winter finding a garage to store it in and doing some work this winter. This work includes a nice paint job and some engine work. I have debated going with the 4.2 swap and building for a small turbo but at that point (and money) the full V8 swap is looking better and better every day. So I have a list of questions to those who know a little more about full swaps than me and it goes as follows.

So the motor ive been eyeing up is the 4.6 v8 motor that is your traditional gt of that year ran. But of course donor cars for those years are not easy to come by. But the Crown vics ran the same motor. So if I bought a crown vic for like 600-1000 and used it as a donor car and removed the motor, wiring, rear end, and anything else would I be able to swap it?

Next comes tranny, obviously I cant run the tranny from the vic in my car as mine is a 5 speed. So should I buy a new tranny, or should I just have mine built for maybe like 350 hp and then I can have room to play?

Last computer. Not my strongest area. So, Vic computer, or do I need to buy one from a stang that was a 5 speed?

I hope this is in the right section and if anyone can give me some info on it that would be great as if this is the case I will have to start hunting for a donor, a garage, and get my hands on some new tools.

99 mustang "rose" v6 with a 5speed
"Guaranteed first due since 2013"
NhFireSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
You'll need a new transmission, 3.8/4.2's use the old smallblock ford boltpattern.
The trans from the Vic might work, just need to get the right shifter for it.

You could swap in a older small block ford(289,302 or 351)
you would need motor mounts and a k-member from a 79-95 v8 mustang.
You could then just build up your trans, or buy a new one.
You could just go carb to simplify things, wouldn't need to setup electronics, quicker to tune on the spot. They even sell kits for modular 4.6/5.4 to go carb for fuel and have a computer for the coils.
I think it would be neat to swap in a carb'd 5.4 or maybe a newer 5.8(read these were modified 5.4's) in to a fox body, it'd be a pretty easy swap.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang