Catalytic converters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Catalytic converters

So I finally have the money to install an off-road x pipe to make my exhaust a true dual, but the kit gives me the choice of no cats or cats. I live in Arkansas so there are no emission tests, but I was wondering if there would be power loss if I had high flow cats instead of taking them off completely. Also, would I get stopped for it being too loud or anything dumb I'm not thinking about?
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
So I finally have the money to install an off-road x pipe to make my exhaust a true dual, but the kit gives me the choice of no cats or cats. I live in Arkansas so there are no emission tests, but I was wondering if there would be power loss if I had high flow cats instead of taking them off completely. Also, would I get stopped for it being too loud or anything dumb I'm not thinking about?
PRoss-

Good question. The difference in gains is an argument that's going to go back and forth. The majority (myself included) will say that going with an O/R setup is going to get you slightly more of a gain as opposed to running with high flow cats. The difference would be marginal but it's more of the system tricking your head as if it's louder you're going to feel as if you're going faster.

For what it's worth I would aim for an O/R setup but I would maybe recommend contacting local law enforcement to see what would constitute a noise violation! After all you can drive it quietly but it's going to definitely be tough!

Care to throw up a link of the system you're looking into?

-Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
If you had a v-8 it would be too loud. I ran with no cats for a few years. I have shorty cats now and the only difference I noticed was the sound. Pipes used to have a dyno chart showing there was minimum differences.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I dont think the V6 would be bad. I have a V8 and offroad H pipe with muffler deletes but kept resonators. I love the sound but it is loud on a cold start when I head to the gym at 530am! Here is a link, mainly cause i love to share it lol, like I said though this is a V8. should consider H pipe, sounds great. not sure why everyone is so into the X pipe.

2013 Mustang GT Exhaust Pypes Off Road H-pipe with Pype Bomb axle back BAMA Tuned - YouTube
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have the pypes O/R x-pipe
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...-or-xpipe.html
They're cutting my y pipe on my flowmaster exhaust and welding it all together.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I read that x pipes have better performance than an h pipe. Only reason I chose x.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I read that x pipes have better performance than an h pipe. Only reason I chose x.
This is true x pipes are known to be more free flowing and scavenge better. I love my offroad x (v8 ) setup but from what i heard the performance difference is not noticable.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
hd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I dont think the V6 would be bad. I have a V8 and offroad H pipe with muffler deletes but kept resonators. I love the sound but it is loud on a cold start when I head to the gym at 530am! Here is a link, mainly cause i love to share it lol, like I said though this is a V8. should consider H pipe, sounds great. not sure why everyone is so into the X pipe.

2013 Mustang GT Exhaust Pypes Off Road H-pipe with Pype Bomb axle back BAMA Tuned - YouTube
I'm with you...never been a huge fan of x-pipes. I prefer that deep, classic muscle car tone over the raspy, stock car tone from the x-pipe.

Quote:
I'm sure this is true to some point, but not enough to where a stock/ bolt ons v6 or even 2v v8 for that matter will notice. It really comes down to sound preference on a six. I think the v6's are raspy and high pitched enough without adding an o/r x pipe but some guys dig it.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'd just leave them off, it'd be cheaper than buying cats.
Just choose a set of mufflers to quiet it down, mufflers would also add backpressure if your car does need it...(wasn't backpressure proven to be a myth and it's exhaust velocity that really matters? big pipes for high rpm power, smaller pipes for low end?)
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang