SCT yay or nay - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
SCT yay or nay

some people on here have said to stay away from SCT or Bama for tuning but they suggested Steeda and another brand I cant remember but both of them have SCT tuner. soooo whats up. I want to know a good place to go with.

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with Bama tunes or SCT.

There's basically three levels of tuning for our cars:

1. Pre-loaded handheld tuner, also known as a canned tune - these tunes are generic, pretty conservative tunes that you simply load into your car and go. Most people dislike canned tunes because they're generic, but the biggest reason for this is because every car reacts to fuel/air/spark adjustments differently, so a safer tune will compensate for the variance from one engine to another. SCT, Diablosport, and a few others offer pre-loaded, off the shelf tuners. If you want a more specific tune for your car look into numero 2.

2. Custom handheld tunes - SCT/Bama tunes, Diablosport, VMP Tuning Brenspeed, etc offer custom tunes for your car. You basically fill out the information slip with your car's mods, tire size, gear ratio, anything alteration from stock. The tuning outfit will then take these mods into consideration when writing a "custom" tune. I say "custom" because what I've found is that most tuners have a set of parameters they follow for certain mods. If you have a catback exhaust and a CAI they plug in that parameter. 4.10 gears and they adjust a parameter for that mod etc. etc. It's semi pre-loaded as the parameters are somewhat pre-determined based off collective results from testing. I have a custom SCT handheld from Bama tunes and it's decent for what it is. The shift points (auto) are more aggressive, slightly more throttle response, and the exhaust note is a touch deeper, more so at idle. The interface is more approachable compared to my Diablosport Predator and the ability to datalog is nice as well. However if you want the most bang for your buck tune, and your mods are appropriate, seek a dyno tune.

3. Dyno tunes are the most aggressive, suitable methods of tuning as it's damn near 100% geared (no pun) towards your car. Common consensus is that it's not worth the added cost of dyno tuning if you have a stock or near stock (bolt ons) v6. I'd tend to agree with them, unless you really want to get a baseline for your car and tune since you're there.

Once you dive internally, H/C/I, FI or the silly gas then a dyno tune is the best option. As I said before, each car responds differently to modifications and a good dyno tune will capture that, and put your car in a good position to perform optimally. Keep in mind once you start modifying your car the risk factor increases exponentially, so don't think that dyno tuning is the end all solution to prevent the worst from happening. Failures do happen, welcome to the world of mechanical things.

So in the end I'd say with your mods I'd consider a custom set of tunes on a handheld tuner. It will net you some gains and won't break the bank. Some vendors such as American Muscle/Bama tunes offer free tunes for life. Keep in mind Bama isn't the only outfit out there, VMP Tuning Brenspeed and some others offer decent tuning as well.

Hope this helps and again this is just my opinion on tuning from what I've experienced and have seen. YMMV...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Hope this helps and again this is just my opinion on tuning from what I've experienced and have seen. YMMV...
Great explanation!

SCT is the best on the market. You will find more people who love them vs hate them.
Bam just has aggressive tunes. It is not a bad thing. They try to squeeze every hp. out of a tune.
Remember some of there high hp./tq. gains is because they tune 93 octane. For example: You open up an AM book and it says, V8 Airaid intake + tuner=+ 34hp/55tq. This gain is with 93. Don't get me wrong they have great 87 octane tunes.

A tuner is one of the mods. I recommend for the v6 Mustang. The best tune is a hybrid tune. You do not have to tell some one who want to race you. Hold on I need to go to a gas station get higher octane gas and up load a tune. Then your tune only responds at higher rpms.
Bama+ hybrid tune= success

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Do they offer the hybrid tune for the 99-04 v6's now?

When I called and asked last spring they told me the hybrid and new race tune were only available for the 05+ v6's.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6stang View Post
some people on here have said to stay away from SCT or Bama for tuning but they suggested Steeda and another brand I cant remember but both of them have SCT tuner. soooo whats up. I want to know a good place to go with.
OP

Good question and Sonic hit the nail on the head here with how we have our tunes built. We're going to ask what type of driving you're doing as well as the mods you've already had installed to create something that's specific to you, and your V6.

I would definitely recommend the Bama S4/X4 Tuner as it's the easiest to use and really woke up my mustangs. My butt dyno was off the chart and it really woke the car up. One of the greatest things about our tuner is that once you purchase it you're automatically enrolled for Free Tunes For Life which means that if you're to install a part down the road that needs a revision you either call or have the order placed online and we get a new tune emailed over to you.

Regarding the Hybrid Tune I'm going to try to clear the air on this but it was initially coined on the forums as some customers wanted the drivability of one tune, with say the throttle response of another. So the reason it being called Hybrid caught on was the fact that we had customers wanting to customize their tune even further to the point where Hybrid just stuck to it!

I hope this helps but please let me know if you're to have any questions and I'm here to help out any way I can!

-Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I heard MPT is super good, that's the one im getting for mine
Old 06-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
My email/dataloging tune outperformed my dyno tune >_>

Picked up 3mph and cut off a tenth at the track with improved mileage and drivability.

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang