Extra sensor on head - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
Extra sensor on head

We're installing an '01 split port into a '94 that had a blown engine. We bought the harness separately on ebay. All of the connectors mated to a sensor or injector perfectly with the exception of a sensor on the back of the DS head. There is no connector in the engine harness for this sensor (appears to be a temp sensor).

Question for the '01 to '04 owners: Can you tell us where the connector goes, i.e. is it in the engine harness? the transmission harness? other? We may have received the wrong harness, or we may just need to buy a different part.

Thanks in advance!
crabby patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

No help from the "01 to '04 owners?

I decided to go ahead and buy a transmission harness as we're also swapping in an '01 4R70W and will need it anyway. I'm pretty sure the connector for the temp sensor is in the transmission harness.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
There is a IRMC sensor that the 01-03 have that connects at the back of the intake. Don't worry about it. The butterfly valves open up at certain rpms. They are control by a motor and electronic wires. Yougain no tq. or hp. by buying the different intake and installing them.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

The sensor I'm refering to is a temp sensor in the back of the DS head, not the IMRC. I'm using the '01 engine and harness and the IMRC is connected.

If the IMRC made no difference, then Ford wouldn't have gone through the trouble to make it functional in '01. But thanks for the response anyway.

My problem now is how to handle the fuel system. The easiest way could be to keep the return style fuel system by modifying the fuel rail. But then I would have to take the upper initake off and procure a new fuel rail as I destroyed the original one removing the blown engine.

Otherwise I will have to replace the fuel pump and add the wiring for it. But I plan to use an '02 PCM to control the 4R70W trans, so it may be just as easy to simply add the '01 fuel pump and wiring.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

All I said it does not add hp. or tq. It controls air flow. It's not like getting a new mod. It's not impressive for a engineers to add something that barely effects the system. It was like changing to a 3.9 in 04 and adding 3 hp. Ford was it really worth it?

I suggested a Windstar fuel rail on another sight and he bought it. But he has not said it worked. I am 90% sure it will work. It has the return style fuel rail. It also has the fuel pressure sensor on a vacuum line instead of electric. The wire is on the front drivers side near the head. I am not sure if it has the same fuel line connections.Someone use to make a special fuel rail required for the swap.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's the 99-03 windstar fuel rails that you need if you want to keep the return style fuel rail.
You could also use a 99-03 windstar intake, I've heard that it flows a little more than the 94-98 windstars.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
It's not impressive for a engineers to add something that barely effects the system. It was like changing to a 3.9 in 04 and adding 3 hp. Ford was it really worth it?
Haha, well I certainly can't argue with that! I know Ford does some pretty whacky stuff constantly changing configurations.

Anyway, since I need to keep the correct PCM for the 4R70W, which means swapping harnesses as well as engine and trans, I might as well keep the IMRC functional.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
It's the 99-03 windstar fuel rails that you need if you want to keep the return style fuel rail.
You could also use a 99-03 windstar intake, I've heard that it flows a little more than the 94-98 windstars.
Excellent! Thanks for the info, now I know what I'm looking for the next time I go junkyard hunting.

My big problem now is coveting a low mileage 4.2 before I've even swapped in a perfectly good running 3.8, hehehe.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Imrc isn't needed, it just add's more work that won't even make a difference.
4.2's should be just as easy to find. They used them from 97-2008 and I think its the 1999 and up that are easiest to swap.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
Imrc isn't needed, it just add's more work that won't even make a difference.
4.2's should be just as easy to find. They used them from 97-2008 and I think its the 1999 and up that are easiest to swap.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Well since I'm installing a complete engine that already has the IMRC, and I'm also installing a 4r70w trans, I will have to swap the wiring harnesses and PCM anyway, so I don't see how it's any extra work. I know there are a host of folks who say the IMRC doesn't do anything, but I just can't see how it wouldn't improve torque at low rpm. Anyway, there's really no reason to disable them, so they're staying.

I've had no trouble finding a really good 4.2, but I just don't have time to make this into a bigger project than it already is. Maybe in a couple of years I'll add a MM K-member and upgrade to a 4.2.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Do you know when you swap transmissions you will also have to swap in a new instrument cluster. I am not sure what all wiring is necessary to change clusters so your rpms and speed work. It is as simple as transmission wiring and a new computer. It has to be a 2001 or newer comp for the IRMCs to work. Here is your 411 about the plug.

There are 3 different types of lower intakes you could use; these would be the 97+ F150 lower, the 99-00 lower, and the 01-04 lower. Each has its ups and downs, but I would recommend going with a 99-00 lower. Here are the differences:
The F150 and 01-04 lowers have IMRC's in the lower intake which will need to be removed, and the holes JB welded shut since the 94-98 ECU's don't have the ability to control these. The 99-00 lowers don't have these, and therefor you will have no modding to do.
The 94-98 lowers have 2 water temp sensors that go into the lower intake. The F150 lower also has 2 locations for these sensors on the lower, no problem there. The 99-04 lowers only have one water temp sensor and will need to be modified to work. You can do this by drilling/tapping a hole for another sensor in the lower before it's put on. There is a good spot for doing this and I will try to get pics later. Any machine shop could do this, and others have had it done for $5-10.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang