2000 Mustang V6 3.8l engine shakes while idle and driving. CEL on. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Region: California
2000 Mustang V6 3.8l engine shakes while idle and driving. CEL on.

Finally bought my first Mustang )) 2000 3.8l with 143,000 miles. I'm also new to this forum so I will try and be as descriptive as possible. I bought it from a friend who had her dad take care of all the mechanical stuff so she doesn't know much about the services done but car has been regularly serviced. Car was shaking on a scale of 1-10, 10 being very violent, I would say it was a 6. Previous owner had SAE straight 30 motor oil (I have no clue why) I did an oil change and switch it to 10w30 (kept it conventional not synthetic) and the shake did reduce to about a 4.5 at start up. I go to work at 330am in the morning so its a bit chilly. I live in the LA county in CA. When I start her up she shakes until she warms up after 30secs to a min. RPMS are between 1000 to 15000 once she stops shaking it shoots below 1000 that's when the shaking stops. While driving you can definitely feel lack of power especially during acceleration. If I accelerate slowly there is no shaking but just so you can understand what I mean by accelerate slowly I mean I'm that annoying person in the front at a green light that people pass. If I step on the gas with normal pressure and accelerate the car shakes/trembles. Very noisy its hard to have a convo with my passenger next to me. The noise isn't knocking, clicking, or any bad noises that will make you worry. Just the engine shaking causing stuff to move on the dash or in my cup holder etc. I've tried to monitor my RPMs to see when the shaking starts and stops but there's no exact point it just shakes when I step on the acceleration. Once the car kicks in to either 3rd or 4th gear (40mph) the shaking stops and the car runs smooth like its suppose to even when I accelerate at this point. Once I pass 50mph the shaking begins again. The motor mounts have been replaced, I've done a transmission tune up (just because for my own peace of mind) and I will be changing the spark plugs and cables this weekend. The CEL codes are P0125, P0411,and P0401. I had a mechanic tell me its an internal engine problem with a bent rod blah blah blah which I say is bull crap! Just another mechanic trying to take advantage of a female car owner -___- I'm no mechanic but I watch videos, read forums, and work on my own car. I am mechanically savvy. The only modd I have is a cold air intake. This car just needs some TLC and I would love nothing more than to put this beauty back into shape with my own hands any suggestions. I looked up the codes but I'm not to sure where to begin :/

xMustang_2000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
You may want to look into changing you coil pack , I don't know if that is your problem or not but my car ran like crap and I went through plugs and wires and an egr valve before I replaced the coil pack. It runs fine now 😎

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

IWstangboy03v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania
You also may want to check the harmonic balancer!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Visca Barça
Blakhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Florida
check your ignition coil and see if that works. srs. Happened to me too.
"Joey" 2004 v6: SR CAI, MPT Tuned, 4.10 gears
Miri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin
A little bit ago, I had a Grand Am that was doing the exact same thing as your car. Mine had a misfiring cylinder due to a clogged fuel injector. Try looking up a how-to on running Seafoam through your vacuums. Worst thing that that would do is clean your engine.
Jaytraeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

2000 mustang