Car buffing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Car buffing

This might be a really bad post but I honestly cant find a lot about it on the internet.

What kinds of places buff cars and whats a good price i should look for when I get my car buffed? Ive never had it buffed before so I have no idea
mazen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazen123 View Post
This might be a really bad post but I honestly cant find a lot about it on the internet.

What kinds of places buff cars and whats a good price i should look for when I get my car buffed? Ive never had it buffed before so I have no idea
Just look for local detailers on Yelp or the yellow pages. As for price, it really depends on how bad your paint is, what all you want them to do, etc. It can get pretty pricey if you get top-end service. In my area a full wash inside/out, polishing across the whole car and a layer of wax will run you ~$500-600. Keep in mind that's a guy that comes to you and typically works on Exotics and Imports though.

I just bought all of the stuff and do it myself, a neat skill to have and saves you money.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Just look for local detailers on Yelp or the yellow pages. As for price, it really depends on how bad your paint is, what all you want them to do, etc. It can get pretty pricey if you get top-end service. In my area a full wash inside/out, polishing across the whole car and a layer of wax will run you ~$500-600. Keep in mind that's a guy that comes to you and typically works on Exotics and Imports though.

I just bought all of the stuff and do it myself, a neat skill to have and saves you money.

I detail my car all the time right down to the engine, but I just don't have a buffing machine or the expertise to properly use it safely. I heard buffing really makes a crazy difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazen123 View Post
I detail my car all the time right down to the engine, but I just don't have a buffing machine or the expertise to properly use it safely. I heard buffing really makes a crazy difference.
It does, the pic below is mine after a fresh polishing session.

As for the safety and technique, it's really not too hard at all and there's tons of resources. A good starter machine like a Griot's Garage DA will run you about $150, and then $75 more for your pads, cloths and products.

A DA (dual action polisher) is much safer for a rookie because it oscillates and rotates at the same time along with having a safety clutch. What this means is it doesn't try to burn through your paint and if you press too hard it stops rotating and it just oscillates slowly and harmlessly. So unless you start smacking the car with the machine, it's almost impossible to hurt anything.

The technique is what really makes the difference. ammonyc.com or search Junkman on Youtube and both of them have a LOT of videos that will help you get started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0164.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	161770  
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
It does, the pic below is mine after a fresh polishing session.

As for the safety and technique, it's really not too hard at all and there's tons of resources. A good starter machine like a Griot's Garage DA will run you about $150, and then $75 more for your pads, cloths and products.

A DA (dual action polisher) is much safer for a rookie because it oscillates and rotates at the same time along with having a safety clutch. What this means is it doesn't try to burn through your paint and if you press too hard it stops rotating and it just oscillates slowly and harmlessly. So unless you start smacking the car with the machine, it's almost impossible to hurt anything.

The technique is what really makes the difference. ammonyc.com or search Junkman on Youtube and both of them have a LOT of videos that will help you get started.

Ok I will keep this all in mind. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
When I worked at a car wash it varied from 29-$49. Depending if the wax was on sale. If you do not have a full service car wash in your area dealerships do detail work but expect to pay more. You do not want a hand wax and some paint need high speed orbitals. High speed orbitals do amazing work to paint but are not recommended to use on thin paint. They can cost a few hundred dollars to do this specific job. If you pay for this job be sure to inspect because paint can be burnt. Car washes have insurance so be sure to inspect. Your paint can be burnt and do not expect the car wash to be up front and say we messed up your car. There are different types of wax: cutters, polishers, and so on. Wax can get complicated if you are not a pro. Pay a professional for best results.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang