2000 3.8 to 2003 3.8 drivetrain swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
2000 3.8 to 2003 3.8 drivetrain swap

I have swapped my daughters 2000 3.8 out for a 2003 3.8 with 100,000 less miles. This swap is engine and auto trans. The wiring harnesses were the same but I can't seem to get the car to run right. I want to diesel when you accelerate in gear and in park under a quick acceleration. After running for 5 to 10 minutes it won't start again and acts like it's flooded, until it sets for a few hours and then it will start again with the same results. I checked the new motor out while it was in a car and running with no problems. Do I need to change to the 2003 computer or is there something obvious that I'm missing. There is a strange smell to the exhaust after running a few minutes. Could it be partially clogged converters? My daughter just bought the car with a bad trans. so it had only been driven around the house to get into the garage not on the road. I did not hear the dieseling in the old motor and the only thing I used from the 2000 was the exhaust and computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
tsams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Take a pic of the back of the old lower intake and post it here. Most 2000 did not come with IRMCs.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

Region: Ohio
The guy I got the new motor from has my old one and he's an hour and a half away. I may see him this weekend to get the 2003 computer and the CCRM since the cooling fan isn't coming on also. If i go there I'll get a pic. of that area. Thanks for the reply. Started it last night to move it and it started right up but after running for maybe 2 to 3 minutes shutting it off and trying to restart ,it turns over and wont start and acts like it's flooded?
tsams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
The irmcs are valves in the intake that stay closed.In 2001 they introdroduced the IMRC in the intake. There are little butterflies inside the intake and a module on the back of the intake to open and close the butterflies. At certain rpms they open up. These symptoms point to this culprit. Most 2000s do not have the wiring for irmcs. I know they were introduced in 2001. I am not sure if late 2000s have irmcs. You would have to pull the old intake and install it on the new motor or use clamps to keep the irmcs constantly open. If you look on the back of your old lower intake and see bare metal, you found the problem. I think it says 9j559 on the pic. It will look like black plastic and metal. The part near the back of the lower intake in the pic.

If you change comps the car will not start because PATS will not communicate properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irmc.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	162168  

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang