Intake Whistle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Intake Whistle

I want a loud intake. I want people to hear my intake when I rev up. What would give me that loud sound?

Would a eBay CAI do it?
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

one question.

why?

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
one question.

why?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
i want a turbo sound when i rev up! (o wait, I will have to see the stang and geta F350 Powerstroke!!!!!!! )
Old 12-09-2003, 11:01 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Please keep in mind, that when you're reving like that, you dont hear a damn thing from the CAI!!!! The CAI only whistles at certian RPM's. the sucking sound you'll hear any time you stomp on the gas, but thats it.

Example... My car can be heard when the engine us under load between 1800 RPM's through about 2400 RPM's with a constant acelleration. When I floor it, I can't hear it at all.

If you want the sound constantly, get a Supercharger... cuz thats the only way you're going to hear whistling all the time.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

drill holes in the cai. that will create more of a vacuum and more air will escape so you should hear more whistling.

then again, youll get a CEL cause youll be losing metered air or gaining metered air. depending on if youre in a suction or vacuum phase
Old 12-09-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
drill holes in the cai. that will create more of a vacuum and more air will escape so you should hear more whistling.

then again, youll get a CEL cause youll be losing metered air or gaining metered air. depending on if youre in a suction or vacuum phase
It's a good thing you mentioned that second line... I was about to lay the smack down

Actually, if you're drilling holes AFTER your MAF, you'll probably run a risk of screwing up your A/F ratio so much that it would probably stall your engine. Been there, done that.

I have no idea if putting holes in your CAI will cause more or less whistling... I've never heard anyone doing it in the first place.

You want a whistle? Mount a whistle inside your tubing... that will work too
Old 12-09-2003, 10:59 PM   #8
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom
My friend with his 98 Gt told me how. When you attach the filter to the pipe, make it so that there is a little gap to get the sound. He said his whistle from 1st to 2nd.

Why? I don't know. It's a regional thing. One of the dude's I know has a Probe that sounds like someone whistling right into your ear.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
My guess is that's a blow off valve. So um, either get a turbo or a really loud speaker under your hood and just play a CD of the Fast and the Furious sound effects.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:40 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
My friend with his 98 Gt told me how. When you attach the filter to the pipe, make it so that there is a little gap to get the sound. He said his whistle from 1st to 2nd.

Why? I don't know. It's a regional thing. One of the dude's I know has a Probe that sounds like someone whistling right into your ear.
Regional thing? I guess I can understand that. I drive with one hand at noon, and another one on my shifter... just like every other crazy mo-fo driver in So-Cal.

Anyway, comparing a GT to a V6 induction is a little different due to the differences in CFM's... the V8 will pull more air through the filter at different velocities. The whistle on the V8 may very well be the fact that the engine just needs more air.

A theory as to the whistles... is the depth of the filter is secured on the tube. Play around with the depth, before you start leaving holes in the system. Leaving the filter a little bit off... no matter how hard you secure it on the rest of the tube, WILL fall off eventually from vibration... I know.... mine did once I'm lucky I didn't run it over .

I'd be willing to try to help ya out... trying to make a louder CAI... We would just first, need to figure out why it whistles in the first place.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a BBK cai, and the whistiling is kinda annoying.

at idle u can bearly hear it.

But when u drive u can here it esp when u stomp on the pedal.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
I drive with one hand at noon, and another one on my shifter... just like every other crazy mo-fo driver in So-Cal.
And if you're driving an automatic you have the left elbow on the window ledge (window rolled down) and your hand on your A pillar, right? Caly fornication baby! When I lived there everyone did that... everyone MUST have one arm out the window.

I drive like you though (left at noon and right on the shifter).

Quote:
I know.... mine did once I'm lucky I didn't run it over .
I'm sorry, but I find this funny. Mine hopefully won't ever fall off either. If it comes loose though it's so big it probably can't fit in the hole to get all the way to the road.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:03 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
My MAC whistled like a banshee when I had my stock TB on but when I went to a 5.0 60 mm TB the whistle went away and thank God. now when I stomp on the throttle I get a heavy sucking of air sound for a couple of seconds.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

ooooh! i cant wait till install my BBK throttle body then!, i just wanna wait till i have heads and ect and i can actually gain from it.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:43 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang
And if you're driving an automatic you have the left elbow on the window ledge (window rolled down) and your hand on your A pillar, right? Caly fornication baby! When I lived there everyone did that... everyone MUST have one arm out the window.
Sometimes But usually when I'm in an automatic, it's only for a short time... no real time to get comforable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang
Quote:
I know.... mine did once I'm lucky I didn't run it over .
I'm sorry, but I find this funny. Mine hopefully won't ever fall off either. If it comes loose though it's so big it probably can't fit in the hole to get all the way to the road.
Hey, I wouldnt be able to have the "CAI Guy" title if I didnt screw up a lot more, and learn a lot more from those screw ups :thumbsup:

I heard this click, swhoooosh, thud, then I look out my review mirror.... to see my brand new Holley Air Filter flipping and rolling through the air behind me . I pulled over, ran back for it, just in time for a Pickup to slow down, look at what I was going to grab, and chuckle a little bit I laugh at it now, but I felt like a total goofball when it happened.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
It isn't just a cali thing. Every vehicle I drive with shift in center I have hand at noon and right hand on shifter, even my auto. When I'm in a column shift I have on hand resting on it and the other at noon. Works out pretty good. You're not alone. I will admit that when I am messing around in the summer I have my arm just like you say, but It's more to hold me in place when I'm doin donuts. But I do that in 5 speeds too, just keeps you in place.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:14 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
i drive with my left hand at 8 (o'clock) and my right hand on the shifter (but its a auto) or pushin buttons on my palm pilot (its next to my fire radio) till i get my computer.. Driver window is ALWAYS down, air/heat on when the temp needs it..
Old 12-10-2003, 06:33 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
My MAC whistled like a banshee when I had my stock TB on but when I went to a 5.0 60 mm TB the whistle went away and thank God. now when I stomp on the throttle I get a heavy sucking of air sound for a couple of seconds.
yeah, i had the BBK 56mm TB and there was no whistling on it. was great til i went back to stock but kept the cai. now it whistles like a b*tch
Old 12-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom

this reminds me of one thing..

WOOO WOOOOOO

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 12-13-2003, 01:38 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
if you want a whistle you gotta get the cheap *** pep boys filters. thats what i got for my bird and it whistled all the way to 2800rpm. then i moved up to a nice big k&n and it makes no morw whistle. it just makes a big WHOOSH as it sucks in air when i stomp it. thats what i like to hear.

on a further note, it is a cali thing. i have an auto, and i drive leaning towards the center of the car, right hand comfortably wrapped around my shifter, left hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel. it just makes you look like either a true badass or complete poser. i try to hope im seen as a badass, but with no front bumper and messed up drivers fender, i prolly look the latter.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

This "Cali" thing seems more like a "try to look cool/tough/badass when you really not" kinda thing.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 12-13-2003, 05:58 PM   #22
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
haha, im agreeing with ya there stangin w00t, go iowa and kansas! lol

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang