Not enough power? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Not enough power?

Hey guys,
So, I just recently got my hands on a 1999 V6, which I love a lot. However, the person that had it before me didn't keep up with maintenance too well, and I've had to do a little bit of work with it. I replaced the rear wheel bearings, a tie rod end, changed oil, so on. Ever since I got the car, I've been treating it very gently, or at least I could be sure that it was in solid enough condition to have fun with.
Well, yesterday I decided that while I was out driving, it had finally come together enough to have a bit of fun. So as I take it onto the highway, I put the gas to the floor.
Now, I've had a 95' V6 in the past (that died; RIP), and with no performance mods, it could still get up and go if I wanted it to at 145hp, if not even a little less. That being said, the 99 V6 made around 190hp, which is quite a bit more. So it should put on a much better show, right? Well, I stand on the gas going onto the high way AND
eh.
The engine rev'd very nicely, the exhaust made a beautiful little note, and eh. It just didn't have the kick that I know this car should have. And I know I know, it's just a V6. But still, it was kinda lame.

Anyway, my question is how can I make this older car drive like it did when it drove off the lot? No, I don't want a CAI (although I plan on getting one in the future), I don't want new exhaust, and I don't want thirteen turbos on a new V12 engine. I just want to find a way to shake off the dust and make my car quick like it was new, is all. Any kind of treatments out there that I can tune up my car like that?
Thanks!
Jaytraeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407333876.409780.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	162975
This is the car, btw.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytraeg View Post
Attachment 162975
This is the car, btw.

If u haven't gotten these things already, I at least start with a tune up and American muscle sells a nice coilpack that should improve a lil better than how it drives now, off course gears and a tune but those things are expensive and u don't wanna go that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #4

Hello jay
I also just picked up a 99 mustang 3.8 what I have done so far to give it a little more power start with a tune up change air intake and throttle body also get a computer tuner or chip that's 25 to 30 increases just from doing that. I also just installed a short throw shifter also start with that stuff. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407388622.677195.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	991.2 KB
ID:	163039

jakesll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Well, first off welcome back to the 94-04 family.

I've got a 2000 v6, and I'm not sure what minor differences there are between the two, but I've had mine for 7 years, and it sat in a barn for the first 3 of those.

First, I'd seafoam the **** out of it. Everywhere you can out seafoam, do it. (You a find seafoam at autozone, and a tutorial for how to use on YouTube)
In case you don't know what seafoam is (it seems most don't) it's a hardcore de-greaser that cleans the living piss out of the inside of your engine and fuel lines, as well as other places. Plus you get some badass exhaust smoke for a bit!

Next, oil change, tune up, replace the coil pack (which I still haven't done haha) and absolutely slap on a CAI. My cold air intake was $60 on eBay and my car's performance and sound definitely got better. Not much, like gears or exhaust, but for the price you can't beat it. Anyway, here's my Decepticon.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407420104.990720.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	163051

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407420630.922862.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	163052
(Tires have since been cleaned, a lot of gravel in my area)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407420662.822859.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	163053Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407420693.955826.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	163054Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407420717.873230.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	163055

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t351203/

OfficialMakkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome cars, guys. And thanks so much for the tips! Regarding seafoam, how do you use it in the vacuum lines in these cars? I tried to put it into the air intake, but it just dripped out.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Awesome cars, guys. And thanks so much for the tips! Regarding seafoam, how do you use it in the vacuum lines in these cars? I tried to put it into the air intake, but it just dripped out.

Don't so too much too fast.. You can ruin your motor like that. Be careful with it. Some swear by it, some hate it. Personally I think it's ok when used conservatively. I've seen threads of roasted engines due to it.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Gears and a tune are everything. Nothing else you can do that would get the same benefits as those 2 mods
mazen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Don't so too much too fast.. You can ruin your motor like that. Be careful with it. Some swear by it, some hate it. Personally I think it's ok when used conservatively. I've seen threads of roasted engines due to it.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!
I've done it before on my old Grand Am, so I know how to do it, but in my other car the vacuum sucked the seafoam in. In the mustang, I put it into my air intake and it just dripped back out of the intake. The engine stayed on and running, but the seafoam just didn't go it. Is there a trick to doing it?

And I was thinking about a new set if gears, but I've also heard that that would put an extra strain on the engine. If it was my track car I wouldn't mind, but I don't know if I'd want to do that to my every day. Does it put strain on the engine?

Also, I noticed that my gas pedal seems like its lower to the floor than it should be. Like, I can lift the pedal up. How do I adjust my throttle cable to get my full range of rev?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I adjusted my throttle cable yesterday and HOLY HELL does that wake up a car. I don't know why I didn't check this on all of my cars. It's so simple but gives you so much better throttle response!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hey how did you adjust the throttle cable? I think that would help me out a lot

Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If it's a high mileage motor and has never been sea foamed don't do it. It will destroy your catalytic converters.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I am also curious as to how to adjust the throttle cable?

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
IWstangboy03v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Haha well I'd rather rip up my cats than have an unhealthy engine, you know?

And as far as throttle cable adjustment goes, this is the short and sweet version of how to do it:
A little warming for those looking to do it:
DON'T OVER TIGHTEN. If you tighten your cable too much, it will increase your idle revs and decrease mpg and wear on your engine faster! Past that, have fun boys.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And as far as throttle cable adjustment goes, this is the short and sweet version of how to do it:
DON'T OVER TIGHTEN. If you tighten your cable too much, it will increase your idle revs and decrease mpg and wear on your engine faster! Past that, have fun boys.

How many zip ties did you use?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Put a tune,gears, cold air intake, and exhaust on the car. Should transform it to a completely different car
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

It won't simply "rip up your cats", it will clog them with carbon particles and also coat the pre o2 sensors before the cat In soot, I have heard many exhaust related sea foam horror stories.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well, as far as zip ties goes, I used about 7, because my pedal was really rather loose. But you kind of have to base it on your cable tightness, so it could be more or less.
Regarding the cats being ruined, here's the way that I see it. I'm planning on putting in a new exhaust system sometime in the near future, so I could care less about my cats. I don't, however, plan on doing an engine transplant at any point with this car. And I'd like to keep it that way. Catch my drift? In any manner, I understand what you're saying, and thank you for the heads up. It's just not my biggest worry, you know?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, as far as zip ties goes, I used about 7, because my pedal was really rather loose. But you kind of have to base it on your cable tightness, so it could be more or less.
Regarding the cats being ruined, here's the way that I see it. I'm planning on putting in a new exhaust system sometime in the near future, so I could care less about my cats. I don't, however, plan on doing an engine transplant at any point with this car. And I'd like to keep it that way. Catch my drift? In any manner, I understand what you're saying, and thank you for the heads up. It's just not my biggest worry, you know?

Did u leave any slack in the gas pedal at all? I left a bit just to be safe
Old 08-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My cable seemed pretty stretched on my 2000. Went home and did this and used about 5 standard sized zip ties. I left about a zip tie worth of slack just to be safe. Car definitely gets up MUCH quicker. Acceleration+!!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Might do a little video showing the "after" of this mod

Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Oooh yeah! Definitely leave a bit of slack on the pedal. That way during the winter, it will have room to shrink when it gets cold.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #23

Region: Pennsylvania
How do you tighten the throttle cable on the 1999 v6

Mstngnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Check out the link, man. It's kind of the cheating way, but it worked great for me.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #25

Region: Pennsylvania
Okay thanks that's how I did I used a pen cut it to the size and put zip ties around it and use it as a spacer

Mstngnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gears make a big difference, I have a 1995 4.2 mustang, singleport heads, cai and a straight pipe. It ran mid to high 16's with 2.73 gears in a open diff 7.5 rear.

I swapped in a stock 2001 GT rear with 3.27's. I went down a whole second in the quarter mile.
I have to pay for time slips only picked up one. Ran a 15.6, I think I could of gone a bit faster. Atleast squeezing into the 15.5's.
I usually ran 16.70's with the old 7.5 with 2.73's.
I don't know if its the added traction or different gears, probably both.

8.8 rear is easy swap, $200-$300 for a whole rear-end it'll bolt up to the same holes. No mods needed.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
Gears make a big difference, I have a 1995 4.2 mustang, singleport heads, cai and a straight pipe. It ran mid to high 16's with 2.73 gears in a open diff 7.5 rear.

I swapped in a stock 2001 GT rear with 3.27's. I went down a whole second in the quarter mile.
I have to pay for time slips only picked up one. Ran a 15.6, I think I could of gone a bit faster. Atleast squeezing into the 15.5's.
I usually ran 16.70's with the old 7.5 with 2.73's.
I don't know if its the added traction or different gears, probably both.

8.8 rear is easy swap, $200-$300 for a whole rear-end it'll bolt up to the same holes. No mods needed.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I wish I knew enough to do the 8.8 swap. I don't know where to get them, or even what they look like. I'm mechanically retarded.

———————————————
MakkyZ
2000 v6, Decepticon themed.
Plastidipper. Customizer. Modder.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMakkyZ View Post
I wish I knew enough to do the 8.8 swap. I don't know where to get them, or even what they look like. I'm mechanically retarded.

———————————————
MakkyZ

You dont need to do an 8.8 swap, unless u plan on blowing your car your 7.5 with added gears and a t lok is better. Its about 80 pounds lighter I believe so you would be better off saving weight and adding gears/ t lok to your 7.5. But if you wanna run with slicks and higher hp safely, an 8.8 is needed to insure you don't snap your rear end. However, 7.5s can handle about 300hp.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ooooh crap. :/ that sucks.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not enough power?

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408914641.442773.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	772.1 KB
ID:	164254

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408914662.821957.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	997.2 KB
ID:	164255

A bit off topic but makky amazon sells these in red also... Some say it's ricey but I love how they glow at night head turner for sure though "Like it or Love it" is my motto lol

Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
Attachment 164254

Attachment 164255

A bit off topic but makky amazon sells these in red also... Some say it's ricey but I love how they glow at night head turner for sure though "Like it or Love it" is my motto lol

Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition

I've actually got those "watched" on eBay, but I've never seen more than that. I was hesitant to buy because it's from a dealer in china and they usually send me junk. Haha

———————————————
MakkyZ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang