99-00 ASP pulley install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #1

99-00 ASP pulley install

I am getting a ASP underdrive pulley soon, and was looking at the install. I saw the one on the How-to section but that is for up to 98 cars, being a '00 with the harmonic balancer on the pulley is it any harder?

And can I not use my friends pulley puller since he has a 97?

JoeR
'98 Cobra Rims, 245/45 Dunlops, Mach1 Chin Spoiler, GT Takeoff Swaybar, Eibach Pro Kit, 20% Tint, eBay Cold Air intake, Kenwood 4022 Headunit, Tri-ax shifter, True Dual Exhuast w/ Spintech Pro Streets
JoeR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
no not really. i think the puller will still work. most chain auto stores like o reilly's or autozone have them for rent if that one doesn't work for some reason. get a 96"-96.6" belt... i heard that a 96.8" belt led to some problems for the user name HORSE here. i'm sure he'll say something soon in this thread. (this is all assuming you are just getting a 25% UD crank pulley... i don't know what length other pulley sizes use and whatnot) good luck.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #3

So your positive about using the same puller right? Essientially the install is the same as the How-to one right? Any tips tricks for gettin that pulley off or on?
'98 Cobra Rims, 245/45 Dunlops, Mach1 Chin Spoiler, GT Takeoff Swaybar, Eibach Pro Kit, 20% Tint, eBay Cold Air intake, Kenwood 4022 Headunit, Tri-ax shifter, True Dual Exhuast w/ Spintech Pro Streets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2003, 11:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
no, i'm not, but you can definitely find one to rent at a chain store like i said. what belt you getting? get a GATES belt if possible. they are expensive but it'll be the only belt you'll need for the life of your car most likey. you know how to undo the tensioner pulley to get the belt off, right?

good luck.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
i did mine in like 20 min, you need a pulley puller, and tools to get leverge on it or an impact gun... and a tq wrench. you use the puller to pop off the balancer and pulley its a tight fit due to teh pulley is fused with the balancer... but it will work just takes a tad manuvering. once you take the belt off and heck undo the battery just to let it reset while you are doing the install pop the balancer off and make sure you made a note of how the belt is run....

after you get the balancer off put teh new one one and ease it down slowly making sure its on right, if you have a balanced one (with notch in it) you MUST put the new balaner on exactly as the old one came off.... thats a major must. then after the balancer is back on put the pulley on and use a drop of thread lock on it, also run soem greese around the balancer part to help it slide on, what we used was some blue stuff.

tq down to 125ftlbs put belt on hook battery up and drive, after 100 ~ miles check the tq on the pulley bolt.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
if you have a balanced one (with notch in it) you MUST put the new balaner on exactly as the old one came off.... thats a major must.

Thanks! lol good thing u mentioned that LITTLE detail
I shoul get to it next week hopefully tuesday when I have autotech class.

JoeR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang