Driving in winter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Driving in winter?

Hey guys, well I got mustang at the very end of last winter, and literally got stuck in my own drive way. First time ever owning a RWD vehical, didnt think it would be that bad, since my ****ty cavalier drove in snow like a boss. Any advice on how to get this thing running in snow? Or is it too dangerous. I love this car and hate picture me having to garage it for the whole winter and having to find a car for winter when im broke.

P.s im from michigan, and michigan winters ****ing suck, so if your from michigan would really love your input!!!

2000 v6

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Get a set of snow tires and put some extra weight in your trunk to help and if your car has traction control do your self a favor and turn it off in the snow otherwise it will go crazy and you won't be able to move very easily

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
honestly winter driving in the mustang isn't a problem man, good winter tires is the key! yes, put weight in the trunk like a shovel, couple containers of kitty litter or sand bags. Don't just put weight in your trunk, put useable weight! if you get stuck you have the ability to get out.

pick up these as well and you will be just fine. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stalwart-C...ingMethod=p13n
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Stupid question probably but is it okay to drive with winter tires with no snow. Like put them on before it starts snowing

Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks for a winter tire. They are amazing.

Winter tires (as long as they are studded) are fine to drive when there is no snow.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Yeah of course its fine but you should still wait till the snow comes to put them on just for the sake of not wearing down your tread
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome Thanks for the input guys!

Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The blizzaks are going to be the best snow tire but they are pricey another good one is the Firestone snow tire I can't remember the name right now but it's a studdable tire and I think it the second best snow behind the blizzaks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #9

Winter tires

Mobley, you may be in luck. I have a move to Florida pending, so my winter tire/rim/ballast combo will be no longer be needed. I have an ad on the Muskegon Craigslist for everything. They are Goodyear Nordic winter tires, my 40th anniversary rims, and four 70 pound bags of tube sand. I drove from Grand Haven to Grand Rapids every day, and enjoyed passing FWD cars, SUV's, and pickup trucks in all conditions. The tires performed incredibly, and having been raised on RWD cars it was a good throwback for me as well. All tires have between 11 and 12/32's of tread on them, rims are in great condition as well. PM me, or contact me through Craigslist if there's any interest on your part. You will get increased tire wear above 40 degrees due to the softer compound of the tires, so most manufacturers recommend not using them above 40. You COULD use them above 40, they would really grip the pavement, but that's not really what they're used for. Peace, John 94-04 Mustang winter survival package, Tires, rims, & tube sand
John_04_Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I use two tubes of tube sand from Lowes. Then I shut off traction control. I have all season Bridgestone"s that have slightly wider tread. Buy a folding shovel and some sand in a bucket just in case. I had put the sand closer to the rear seats, But I think in the middle of the trunk floor is better for me. Some say place them right over the axle. That traction control is no good for snow. The wheel will not move properly. I know I tested it and some others on other forums say so too. Some say it just for the rain. I did pretty good last year driving in the snow here in Connecticut. I had one person say "You're not going anywhere with those 17 inch tires" I did. HAHAHAHA And yes to the Blizzak tires. I have heard nothing but good things.
SueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Install a tlock will help

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
Install a tlock will help

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Thank you for posting that.
SueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #13

Region: Illinois
I feel your concern. I live in Chicago and driving my 01' six in the snow was anything but ideal. not to mention it had worn down all season bridge stones on her. I'd just watch your *** end going around corners she'll swing out more than you expect on occasion
trublue sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang