Letting off gas on interstate and holdback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Letting off gas on interstate and holdback

Hi,
I have been told this is normal for my car to do this. But it kind of bugs me.
I have a 2002 automatic V6 and when I am on the interstate or parkway I let off the gas for example at 50 and up. She feels like it starts to hold back. Not free rolling down a hill. I'm wondering if there isn't a sensor shot. I haven't done a transmission flush yet. I'm thinking that has no use to fix it.
Thanks for your time.
SueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Mine does this too, very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Iryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryan7 View Post
Mine does this too, very annoying.

Thanks Iryan very much. I had accepted for a while that it was normal, But then one night I said maybe it isn't. So I put it into neutral sometimes to avoid that holding back. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Could be a brake issue. Pads dragging

SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I just changed all calipers and pads in my car and it still does it. I gave up on hoping it was a brake issue 😂😭

Old 10-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Checked my brakes also. I was sure the brakes were dragging. Lol Nope. Thanks both of you for replying.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Mine does the same thing

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobley View Post
Mine does the same thing

Thanks Mobley, I guess it's a common thing.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
But honestly I dont remember my car always doing it, actually jist recently noticed it but only had the car a couple months, 00 v6 automatic

Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobley View Post
But honestly I dont remember my car always doing it, actually jist recently noticed it but only had the car a couple months, 00 v6 automatic

Wow that's strange. I'm wondering if there is a common thing that wears down after so many miles. Then by the time we buy the car after the first owner,etc. it shows up. Too bad I couldn't find a first owner and see what they say.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueK View Post
Wow that's strange. I'm wondering if there is a common thing that wears down after so many miles. Then by the time we buy the car after the first owner,etc. it shows up. Too bad I couldn't find a first owner and see what they say.

Regardless of what it is, it sure would be nice to fix. None of my other cars do it.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryan7 View Post
Regardless of what it is, it sure would be nice to fix. None of my other cars do it.

Ya I know. It's not smooth. Plus it most likely mess's up the gas mileage.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
If it did not do it I would worry.

The transmission is doing what it is supposed to be doing. It is not supposed to free- wheel when you let off the gas. It stays in gear and starts slowing you down. if you let off long enough it will drop down a gear and slow you down even more. It's not much different then if you had a manual and let off the gas without pushing the clutch in.
Coasting in neutral is not really good for your transmission. The fluid that keeps things inside all lubed up and cool is shut down and is not very good for everything inside of it.

SueK say's
Quote:
Ya I know. It's not smooth. Plus it most likely mess's up the gas mileage.
Common sense will tell you that when you let off the throttle the engine will not use any extra gas.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The transmission is doing what it is supposed to be doing. It is not supposed to free- wheel when you let off the gas. It stays in gear and starts slowing you down. if you let off long enough it will drop down a gear and slow you down even more. It's not much different then if you had a manual and let off the gas without pushing the clutch in.
Coasting in neutral is not really good for your transmission. The fluid that keeps things inside all lubed up and cool is shut down and is not very good for everything inside of it.

SueK say's

Common sense will tell you that when you let off the throttle the engine will not use any extra gas.
Ronnie

Letting off won't use extra gas, but accelerating back to speed will. Also, this is more than staying in gear. My car will de-accelerate going down a steep hill unless I'm giving it gas. I've never seen any car do this, manual or automatic.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Apparently your car is one of a kind

I have only had about 200 cars in my lifetime and they all acted the same.
Let off the gas and they slow down.
Step on the gas and they speed up.

Put it on cruise control and they do what your car is doing and you don't have to do a darn thing.

There must really be something wrong with your car. If I were you I would take it to a mechanic and get it repaired.

I'm not trying to be a smart as but I'm just trying to explain that there is probably nothing wrong with your car. They all do exactly what your describing.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueK View Post
Hi,
I have been told this is normal for my car to do this. But it kind of bugs me.
I have a 2002 automatic V6 and when I am on the interstate or parkway I let off the gas for example at 50 and up. She feels like it starts to hold back. Not free rolling down a hill. I'm wondering if there isn't a sensor shot. I haven't done a transmission flush yet. I'm thinking that has no use to fix it.
Thanks for your time.
Ronnie is right. It's common sense. Unless you have cruise control on, it will slow down. Let off gas=slowing down.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

SueK say's

Ronnie
Thanks about the neutral thing. Yes I agree common sense says if you're not stepping on the gas then you're not using as much gas. But in my head I'm thinking it feels like a downshift and that must take a little gas to accomplish that. I guess it's not like that, It's just in the same gear and keeping you there. It reminds me of being in 2nd gear all the time.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have only had about 200 cars in my lifetime and they all acted the same.

Let off the gas and they slow down.

Step on the gas and they speed up.

Put it on cruise control and they do what your car is doing and you don't have to do a darn thing.

There must really be something wrong with your car. If I were you I would take it to a mechanic and get it repaired.

I'm not trying to be a smart as but I'm just trying to explain that there is probably nothing wrong with your car. They all do exactly what your describing.

Ronnie

I agree, it shouldn't be like that. But that's what I'm trying to say, something is wrong with mine and I have no idea what it is. And yeah, I plan on having it looked at when I can.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
...Coasting in neutral is not really good for your transmission. The fluid that keeps things inside all lubed up and cool is shut down and is not very good for everything inside of it...
While true for a car coasting, being pushed or towed in neutral with the engine off, the turning driveshaft will cause parts to operate without forced lubrication. As long as the engine is running however, the torque converter is turning the transmission pump which keeps the fluid circulating. HTH.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Ronnie is right. It's common sense. Unless you have cruise control on, it will slow down. Let off gas=slowing down.
We've had 10 cars (Including my kids cars) in the past 35 years and not one did that. Of course some were old school cars and I repeat what I've always said " My daughter's and husband's cars have that nice roll down the hill thing. If all cars have done that with me I wouldn't be posting at all. I'm pretty much in tune with the cars I drive. If that's the way the car is so be it. Lol
There's a parkway where it has a slight downward hill and I used to to just roll with other cars I had. The way this car seems is it makes you press on the gas to continue rolling. Then you press on the gas and it has a slight jump. Oh frig it. Thanks everyone, I did some reading AGAIN and some say some brands of cars do that and some don't.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
DFCO. It is supposed to do that. It saves fuel, by shutting down the injectors. I didn't know this was an unknown thing...

Some vehicles do not do this because they essentially free wheel, like the prius, and only slow by aerodynamics/friction.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang