New to the site - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #1

Region: Florida
New to the site

Hi everyone I'm cfighterace and I'm knew to this site. I actually don't own a mustang right know. I hope to own one eventually after I get out of college. I have always wnated to own a mustang sine I was 14. My dream Mustang is a Shelby Mustang GT 500. However for right know I will start of slow. Anyway my first mustang will probably be a v6 mustang. I originally wanted a GT but with insurance and the intial cost of actually buying the car will be too much, after all I still have to pay off my student loans. So I figured instead buy the six and then modify it. I figure once the modifications our done it will probably cost the same as a GT however the cost will be spread out over time, and in the end as far as the insurance companies are concerned it is still a six. So any way I figured that between now and whenever I buy mustang is a good time for me to get on paper how I want my mustang modified. To give you guys and idea as my base I am looking at either an 05-06 Mustang, maybe an 07 if I can get a good price. My first modifications will probably be a supercharger, and then headers and exhaust. If anyone has any advice on where I should look for parts or any advice in general I would really appreciate it. Anyway I'm glad to be here.
cfighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: New to the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfighterace View Post
Hi everyone I'm cfighterace and I'm knew to this site. I actually don't own a mustang right know. I hope to own one eventually after I get out of college. I have always wnated to own a mustang sine I was 14. My dream Mustang is a Shelby Mustang GT 500. However for right know I will start of slow. Anyway my first mustang will probably be a v6 mustang. I originally wanted a GT but with insurance and the intial cost of actually buying the car will be too much, after all I still have to pay off my student loans. So I figured instead buy the six and then modify it. I figure once the modifications our done it will probably cost the same as a GT however the cost will be spread out over time, and in the end as far as the insurance companies are concerned it is still a six. So any way I figured that between now and whenever I buy mustang is a good time for me to get on paper how I want my mustang modified. To give you guys and idea as my base I am looking at either an 05-06 Mustang, maybe an 07 if I can get a good price. My first modifications will probably be a supercharger, and then headers and exhaust. If anyone has any advice on where I should look for parts or any advice in general I would really appreciate it. Anyway I'm glad to be here.
welcome to the forum. if youre serious about doing the supercharger as your first mod, just save for a gt. that alone is gonna cover the spread between a gt and v6. plus your out of college so i dont think insurance will be as rough. i have a 6 and im not one of the people against them, but in the long run you will be happier. most people, like myself, start with the bolt-ons. if you do get a 6, make sure to get a 5-speed as the autos are slooow. i have an 02 auto and with gears and a tune, im beating the hell out of my friend's 06 auto with full exhaust. i just dont see why people are making a huge deal about them.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Bah gt boo..

Get the s/c and > the gt's
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #4

yeah tigerfan I realize that with the supercharger bolt ons its going to cost me the same as a gt, however I'm considering insurance as well. Im still under 25 and I'm a male so I already got two things working against me there. I figure no matter how much horsepower this pony is pumpin out in the end its still, and even if I spend a good penny on the supercharger I'm sure that the saving in insurance will more than make for it. After all I still have another year of college and I still have loans to pay off.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah tigerfan I realize that with the supercharger bolt ons its going to cost me the same as a gt, however I'm considering insurance as well. Im still under 25 and I'm a male so I already got two things working against me there. I figure no matter how much horsepower this pony is pumpin out in the end its still, and even if I spend a good penny on the supercharger I'm sure that the saving in insurance will more than make for it. After all I still have another year of college and I still have loans to pay off.
well the supercharger is gonna put a whole lot more stress on the engine as well. plus whatever warranty youd have would be completely shot. i dont think it will be cheaper at the end of it. if i was you, id start with the bolt-ons. some gears, a tune, and a pulley, and youd be shocked how much the car gets woken up. that might even be enough for you. dont forget about that 7.5 rear end with the supercharger.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #6

Yeah I figured the supercharger was goin to put some strain on the engine but I have heard of some people putting chargers on their sixes and not having any problems with it. As far as warranties go I have heard that it depends on who puts the supercharger on. I think Roush and Steeda makes one and they are affiliATES of Ford so if they put it on I hear you get warranty through them or through Ford for the engine. I have considered bolt ons though in adittion to the supercharger. I know the sixes are based at around 210 and hoping to add either 130 -150. Yeah its ambitious but I have seen guys do it.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I figured the supercharger was goin to put some strain on the engine but I have heard of some people putting chargers on their sixes and not having any problems with it. As far as warranties go I have heard that it depends on who puts the supercharger on. I think Roush and Steeda makes one and they are affiliATES of Ford so if they put it on I hear you get warranty through them or through Ford for the engine. I have considered bolt ons though in adittion to the supercharger. I know the sixes are based at around 210 and hoping to add either 130 -150. Yeah its ambitious but I have seen guys do it.
how much are you looking to spend on that supercharger? are you gonna install it? and do you plan on upgrading the rear end? youll also need a good tune, injectors, and fuel pump. even then, you will only be AS FAST as a STOCK gt. its up to you. i bought my 6 with the intention of having cheap insurance and starting with the bolt-ons, but i was only 16. i would look into how much all of that is gonna cost and weigh your options first. its up to you in the long run, but i dont know anyone who would honestly pick a v6 over a v8 mustang. you can find an 05 gt cheap and with a few bolt-ons, my friend is running low 13's. and he cant even shift!!! now tell me how much it will cost to do that with a v6 and not have to worry about breaking anything. its up to you. but i cant honestly say im happy with my 6.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #8

Yeah I'm not wrench turner by any, however I tried to use common sense as well as do my research. I have come to the conclusion that if you do one thing to a car you have to take other factors into consideration. I have watched instalations with superchargers and I have also read about them in magazines. I know alot of mechanics if your beef up a car, one of the vital points to pay attention to is the rearend along with the transmission. Man if the transmission goes you are for lack of a better word ****ed. You gotta understand my parents are helping throughout school and most likely they are going to be helping purchase. My dad knows I like the GT and so does he but he told me he would like me to look into six for the insurance costs. I mean if we happen to find a late model GT for a price that will leave room for spending on the insurance I'm sure we will definately look into it. Also I mean by the time in the position to buy one I'll be about 23 to 24 and close to that big insurance reduction that we all cherish so that will be a plus. However the other thing to is the whole gas thing. I mean gas is startin to go down a little but who is to say where it will be in a few years. If I'm paying 6 dollars a gallon as much as I wana GT I don't think Im going to be too happy about paying that kind of a tab so a six in that case would be a better way to go. However if I start adding bolt ons to it its probablly end burning the same amount of gas so I lose out either way.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome!!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

welcome
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

welcome
Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I'm not wrench turner by any, however I tried to use common sense as well as do my research. I have come to the conclusion that if you do one thing to a car you have to take other factors into consideration. I have watched instalations with superchargers and I have also read about them in magazines. I know alot of mechanics if your beef up a car, one of the vital points to pay attention to is the rearend along with the transmission. Man if the transmission goes you are for lack of a better word ****ed. You gotta understand my parents are helping throughout school and most likely they are going to be helping purchase. My dad knows I like the GT and so does he but he told me he would like me to look into six for the insurance costs. I mean if we happen to find a late model GT for a price that will leave room for spending on the insurance I'm sure we will definately look into it. Also I mean by the time in the position to buy one I'll be about 23 to 24 and close to that big insurance reduction that we all cherish so that will be a plus. However the other thing to is the whole gas thing. I mean gas is startin to go down a little but who is to say where it will be in a few years. If I'm paying 6 dollars a gallon as much as I wana GT I don't think Im going to be too happy about paying that kind of a tab so a six in that case would be a better way to go. However if I start adding bolt ons to it its probablly end burning the same amount of gas so I lose out either way.
well if youre that worried about gas, a turbo would be a better option. with a supercharger, youre always in boost. thats gonna kill your gas mileage. in the end, it depends on how you drive. if you have a lead foot, both are gonna be terrible. if it were up to me, id have gotten a gt. there is nothing that sounds better than a v8 and the gt's have much nicer options as far as looks go. its up to you and i honestly dont care whether you get an 8 or a 6. im just trying to get you to see how much a supercharged v6 can end up being. as long as you get a mustang thats all that really matters. lol.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Welcome to the site
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #14

Yeah man I appreciate the assist, but yeah if I happen tofind a GT I can get for a good price that will make for the high premium I know I'm going to pay I'll definately look into it.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Welcome to the site, to give you a comparison on insurance...mine went up 20 bucks a month going from an 02 V6 to an 03 Cobra Convertible, I was 22 at the time, wasn't paying over 100 a month for the 03, it's dropped a little since then because I have an awesome agent...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Yea my insurance went up 20 a month as well going from an 01 v6 coupe to an 03 cobra vert, now its around 74 a month with a 250/250 deductible and full coverage.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to at7311

Welcome!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Welcome To M.E. :smoke: There alot more to consider if your gonna go S/C suspension,Fuel system upgrade,Exhaust,tuning Etc.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang