Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Engine swap HELP!!!!

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  96Stang_nicc 
#1 ·
Quick question for anyone and everyone who can help me. I have a 96 v6 mustang & it's a 5speed transmission but the motor was trash I bought another motor but there is a problem I think it's an automatic motor & it will not switch gears. Any suggestions or anything I need to do to get my baby back riding.Please help me!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#6 · (Edited)
I would try to replace your throw out bearing as well when you get it fixed.

Does your clutch currently disengage? When you are trying to shift your transmission, what does it do that prevents it? Does the shifter move but simply get "bonked" out of the next gear? Have you tried shifting it from first to 3rd instead of gears 1-2? Does it make any grinding noises?

Please describe what happens a little better. As long as you swapped the flywheel and stuff it should be fine. If you didn't swap the flywheel, then the clutch is probably trying to press against the flex plate from the stock auto tranny, which wont work.

#9 ·
If your car that has a manual transmission has an engine in it that had a flexplate instead of a flywheel, then the clutch is never going to work right. You need a flywheel for the clutch to grab.
I hope that you were actually told that your Friction plate was wore out, and not the flexplate.

Did the transmission shift and operate correctly before the engine went in it? if you bolted a perfectly good tranny to an engine with a flexplate, and then it started having issues, then im going to blame the flexplate.

If you have a clutch so worn out that it wont grab at all, then replace the clutch.

#11 ·
Ok now I replaced the clutch with a new kit. It was riding good & I noticed that when I shifted into 3rd gear it was shaking at 40mph & act like it really didn't want to go over 40. Now I drove it home and when I start it up it doesn't wanna switch into any gears but when it's off it goes in fine. Made a video of the bottom & it seems as if it might need to be adjusted. " have to push clutch in far just to crank it up " any answers???

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.