Oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Oil

What oil is the best for my 04 mustang v6 with 160k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
xrsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Motorcraft

Sent from my LG-D851
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Oil is oil unless you are racing on a consistent basis, way too overblown. Motorcraft and motorcraft filters will be totally fine for you.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

But how thick ? 10-30? 5-30?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Whatever the owner's manual calls for, it also might be on the cap.

The google just told me 5w-20 which is correct... you could have had your answer hours ago with literally a 30 second google search lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

5w20 for normal cars. 5w30 will probably work also, that's what I'll be going with next. But my car likes rpms lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

5-20 is too thin for a car from 04 with that many miles that's why idk if I should go 5-30 or 10-30

Old 12-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are that worried about oil getting past the seals run 10-40 lol. Just let it warm up real good before you go anywhere. 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be fine, 5w-20 is a USA only spec anyway. Hell, there are guys who run Rotella in their Mustangs...

Old 12-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
after a ton of reading, i decided to go with factory spec 5w-20 motorcraft and a oem filter. a ton more reading, and no difference in mpg, i am switching back to 5w-30.

ive read about new york taxi cabs running like 100k on 5w20 and still running fine. then i read other stuff, particularly by cliffyk saying that its reduces engine light at the cost of a tiny squeeze of extra mpg. I dont mind paying 4.37 a quart for peace of mind (walmart, ugh) but it is cheaper to get the 5 qt bottle of 5w20. (they dont sell the 5qt 5w30 anymore in motorcraft)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you want the 5 qt 5w-30 just get Super Tech. Its actually pretty good oil and a full syn. Or just get M1 for $26 for a 5 quart jug if you are feeling froggy. Biggest thing is to never use a Fram orange death can. Get a MC filter at walmart or stop by a Napa on the way home and grab a WIX (NapaGold) filter.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you want the 5 qt 5w-30 just get Super Tech. Its actually pretty good oil and a full syn. Or just get M1 for $26 for a 5 quart jug if you are feeling froggy. Biggest thing is to never use a Fram orange death can. Get a MC filter at walmart or stop by a Napa on the way home and grab a WIX (NapaGold) filter.
I used to use mobil1, then switched to motorcraft for the sake of using motorcraft. Im actually still on the fence about what im gonna use. I already buy mobil1 5w30 for the rest of the family's cars, so ill probably just go back to that. its the 5w20 that im currently worried about.

I used to work at advance autoparts, so ive heard it all. Amsoil is best. Mobil1 is best. Quaker state will sludge. pennzoil is all i use. rotella 40 weight is what my toyota celica likes. and of course, "i dont change the filter every oil change to save money"

but i think it comes out to about $30 for 6 qts of motorcraft and a ford filter. its synth blend, and ive heard only good things about it. not a bad price. until it jumps.

so realistically, Scotty is probably right, synthetic store brand should do the job, especially with a daily driver. But some of us sleep better at night using the particular oil we seem to like. A buddy of mine wont touch anything except castrol. No convincing him otherwise.

And yes, no orang death cans for me. too many horror stories, as well poor construction quality. apparently the fram xtragaurd or whatever their "premium" ones are called, are supposedly up to par with most other mid line filters.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, oil is oil unless you are going to be revving up to redline all the time or have a real high power motor and even then. Motorcraft is going to be fine in 99% of applications. If you feel you are in the 1% then spend the extra $8 for M1. If you feel that somehow you need the absolute best (road racing at 7k RPM for extended periods?) then get Amsoil.

Remember, all oil sold in the USA has to meet certain standards. Even the cheapest Autozone brand dino oil will be totally fine as long as its changed regularly and a good filter is used.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to Jmustang78
Use high mileage Valvoline 5/30! It protects ur seals and in my opinion is better than motorcraft and just as good as mobile

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jmustang78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmustang78 View Post
Use high mileage Valvoline 5/30! It protects ur seals and in my opinion is better than motorcraft and just as good as mobile

I have a hard time believing any of that stuff. IMHO its snake oil. More important thing is to make sure you change the oil regularly and use a good filter.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oil

IMHO? Snake oil? All oils unless synthetic Are petroleum based. The high mileage which every brand makes has synthetic additives in it which specifically protect high mileage vehicle seals! Valvoline is the cleanest conventional oil in my opinion as Quaker state and Pensoil leave a waxy residue in ur valve train and Castrol can't maintain the same consistency between 12 qts. Their color in their oil (which means inconsistencies in additives and dyes) is never the same from case to case! I have worked with or for all of these companies except Castrol at one time or another so I have the information to make a judgment call I think. Not to mention I've torn several engines apart to see the difference with each oil! But yes the most important thing is to stay on a regular oil change interval!!!!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #16

Region: Georgia
Jmustang78, I agree with you 100%. I guess no diffreance 87 and 93 octane gas eather BP or Quick Trip is all gas.
mpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenny View Post
Jmustang78, I agree with you 100%. I guess no diffreance 87 and 93 octane gas eather BP or Quick Trip is all gas. You get what you pay for now days.
QUICK TRIP 👍
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenny View Post
Jmustang78, I agree with you 100%. I guess no diffreance 87 and 93 octane gas eather BP or Quick Trip is all gas.

Well idk if I'd go quite that far different gas companies have different refining processes so variant qualities in gas... And their additives. For example when I used to race I'd use good ole 76 gas, ya know the big orange ball lol. Cause the additives they used made my engine perform better in my opinion. But for around town and to keep things clean I used Cheveron or Shell. But as previously noted all gas and oil companies have to pass a basic US standard for refining! As far as the octane rating... The higher the octane the better performance and mileage ur vehicle will get! Also with performance engines using a lower obtain fuel will cause pinging in ur engine as the timing isn't set to use the lower octane fuel.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

A car will only perform better with 93 if the tune is designed around 93. Putting 93 in like... A Camry is not going to do jack.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsfx View Post
What oil is the best for my 04 mustang v6 with 160k miles

Honestly, I use Super Tech Fully Synthetic oil from Wal Mart. Its just as good as any other name brand base III synthetic oil however a good bit less cost. I pay $ 17.44 for a 5 gallon jug and 4.99 per one quart. You can't beat that. Its great oil! Wal Mart doesn't have high marketing, advertising, and race team sponcers to pay like the name brand oil companies so they can give it at a lower price than the name brands.

The only advertising Wal Mart does for Super Tech is stick the bottles on the self and all word of mouth. Great oil. Would I go 15k mile oil interval changes with it? Oh heck no, but I wouldn't do that with Royal Purple or Amsoil either. I'm not saying Super Tech fully synthetic is as good as Royal Purple, Redline, Amsoil or Mobil 1 EP but I don't need that. I'm not going 15-20k oil change intervals or track racing my car on a weekly basis. I semi DD my pony too and from Wal Mart, car shows, down the shore, doctors appointments.

As far as an oil weight. I personally use 5W30. I know Ford sticks 5W20 on the little cap and certainly that will work too but I would recommend 5W30. The 5W20 is really a USA thing because of Safe regulations and 5W 30 will flow perfectly fine to all those tight spec areas.

The same tight spec Ford engine sold in Europe, Ford recommends 5W30 weight but here is the US 5W20 weight is recommended by Ford. Same exact engine, same specs but one has no Safe regulations. Hummmmmmm!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A car will only perform better with 93 if the tune is designed around 93. Putting 93 in like... A Camry is not going to do jack.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Agreed! 😄

Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I just did an oil change from regular oil to mobil1 high mileage full synthetic 5w 30 with a fram ultra synthetic filter and used a little mmo and my car drives ten times smoother... I was concerned cause I've heard things about going from regular to synthetic. But i seafoamed it before changing the oil and it runs great.... After i remembered to reconect 2 plug wires lol...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mattyp511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

nowdays you can switch back and forth between synth and conventional oils. The only real worry about upgrading to a synthetic at high mileage is that the synthetic, if it has more detergents in it, can clean buildup around old seals and throughout the engine. in some cases, this causes a leak, meaning that seal should have been replaced anyway, or in the worst case, that i dont recall hearing much of happening, is the buildup gets cleaned out and clogs somewhere. but that goes for any engine flushes more, really.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
All U Need To Know- And Then Some:
BITOG
LINK: Bob Is The Oil Guy | The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Site
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp511 View Post
I just did an oil change from regular oil to mobil1 high mileage full synthetic 5w 30 with a fram ultra synthetic filter and used a little mmo and my car drives ten times smoother... I was concerned cause I've heard things about going from regular to synthetic. But i seafoamed it before changing the oil and it runs great.... After i remembered to reconect 2 plug wires lol...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Fram is a terrible filter brand. It'll be fine for this oil cycle, but next time get a Napa Gold (WIX) filter. Way way way x1000 better filter and does not have plastic bypass valves or glue holding the peices together inside the filter like the Frams do. I know you bought the "higher end" Fram I guess but if its an orange one... they are called "orange can of death" for a reason.

Refer back to post #10 when I mentioned this previously.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Fram is a terrible filter brand. It'll be fine for this oil cycle, but next time get a Napa Gold (WIX) filter. Way way way x1000 better filter and does not have plastic bypass valves or glue holding the peices together inside the filter like the Frams do. I know you bought the "higher end" Fram I guess but if its an orange one... they are called "orange can of death" for a reason.

Refer back to post #10 when I mentioned this previously.
+1 , Fram is complete crap. Napa Gold or platinum filter.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Motorcraft actually make a top tier, premiere oil filter.
Not too many people realize that.
-They make a Friction Modifier tons of other makes/models use.
-The Heavy Duty DOT3 is also a superior product that you can get direct from Ford knowing you got the best for your car, which always feels soooo good.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang