So is this enough for good handling - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
So is this enough for good handling

So i just went through Maximum Motorsports/American Muscle and bought:

Weld in full length sub-frame connector
A strut tower brace
Lower control arms
Torque arms
A pan-hard bar
Control Arms
Coil over kit with Bilstien springs
A K-member brace
Willwood big brake street kit
KYB rear shocks
KYB struts
And a bump steer kit

So is there anything else i should get? I feel like ive gotten everything possible but I know if any one can find something else I need its the ME guys thanks alot.
EverettsV6Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettsV6Power View Post

A strut tower brace

Lower control arms

Torque arms

A pan-hard bar

Control Arms

A K-member brace

KYB rear shocks

KYB struts

And a bump steer kit

So is there anything else i should get? I feel like ive gotten everything possible but I know if any one can find something else I need its the ME guys thanks alot.

Got a few questions.

1. Coilover kit with Bilstein springs? I've never seen Bilstein springs, they are usually shocks and struts, if so that conflicts with what you said about the KYB shocks and struts, so a little more explanation on that would help.

2. Just a k member brace? You will want to go with a tubular k member and tubular a arms, non-offset for a street car.

3. There is only 1 torque arm, and your car is a v6 correct? The Torque Arm is designed for an 8.8 rear end, which a V6 doesn't have, unless it was swapped.

4. May as well get the adjustable sway bars also to adjust your understeer and oversteer issues you will have. It'll likely be understeer since that set up is very close to mine.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

well went back and looked at the coil over kit and it looks like you're right they are shocks not springs :/ guess that is what i get for being over zealous and yes i switched out the rear end for the 8.8 wanted limited slip so yeah lol and okay I will get the tubular k member and a arms and the adjustable sway bar... oddly enough I am not surprised its similar to your set up I have been looking at a lot of your posts you seem to know a lot about these cars. if i could can i ask you a question how does your car act handling wise I don't do any track racing but i drive through mountain roads in north Carolina and want to make sure i have nothing to worry about. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
well went back and looked at the coil over kit and it looks like you're right they are shocks not springs :/ guess that is what i get for being over zealous and yes i switched out the rear end for the 8.8 wanted limited slip so yeah lol and okay I will get the tubular k member and a arms and the adjustable sway bar... oddly enough I am not surprised its similar to your set up I have been looking at a lot of your posts you seem to know a lot about these cars. if i could can i ask you a question how does your car act handling wise I don't do any track racing but i drive through mountain roads in north Carolina and want to make sure i have nothing to worry about. thanks

Compared to stock it handles like a dream. It is mostly rear end suspension work so far except for my coilovers which are up front also.

The car has a bit of understeer, at least it did before I did the coilovers. I haven't pushed it to the limit with them in yet so we will see how it changes at the next few autocross events. Aside from autocrosses and road racing I'm going to be doing I drive a lot of mountain roads.

What I would recommend is just cancel the order for the KYBs if you can. Go with the coilovers that have Bilsteins in them. Remember to email MM about what coil rates to run. I personally run 375# in front and 250# in back, it's fairly aggressive for a street car so you definitely feel bumps in the road.

As for the tubular K member, once you get that you won't need the brace anymore, that is designed to stiffen up your stock K so it'll work for a while because the K member plus A arms is another $1000.

HID end all thread
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

oh okay well i appreciate it and yea i gotta email them now. that said is there rates you could suggest that wont be too awful bad on feeling bumps? And i will cancel those orders asap since i dont need them no reason to spend any money on something i dont need since ive spent quite a bit so far tonight. also is there anything up front wise that can help with handling? I am putting trying to make sure no matter what i will have plenty of handling when i put in my cam heads and intakes im sure its over kill but why not go for the best.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also want to say I love your car
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Haha thanks.

And when it comes to suspension it's a good idea to install somewhat in parts so you can see what you need next. So get what you ordered and put them in.

As for springs, I'd honestly let MM decide. I'm still somewhat new to determining spring rates for different applications.

When installing the parts if you need help feel free to post a thread or PM me. The biggest PITA out of all the parts is probably the Panhard Bar actually.

HID end all thread
Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Don't forget about tires also. Right now I've got a pretty good suspension set up, but my tires are really holding me behind (being changed soon)

HID end all thread
Old 12-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I actually bought new mickey Thompson tires when i bought my 18" rims so hopefully they will be good enough thank you for the info and i will probably send you a pm, before this i had ever owned my 78 f350 wasnt much to work on for that so im new to all of this.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A strut tower brace
Lower control arms
Torque arms
A pan-hard bar
Control Arms
A K-member brace
KYB rear shocks
KYB struts
And a bump steer kit

If you have a bump steer kit you are going to need a bump steer gauge to correctly set the bump steer, otherwise you can only make it worse by throwing maladjusted parts at it. Use a gauge and do it correctly or leave the kit off.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

A strut tower brace
Lower control arms
Torque arms
A pan-hard bar
Control Arms
A K-member brace
KYB rear shocks
KYB struts
And a bump steer kit

Hey Op-This is a really solid list if you ask me! Have you had any of this installed yet? What are you going to be doing with the car? Track/Weekend Monster? Auto X?

ALEX
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

No I plan on installing it all this week end after Christmas has settled down and to be honest It's just a daily driver that I've been putting money into just got new heads crank shaft cam and upper/lower intake installed so it's time to work on handling so I don't slip off the mountain in North Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Eventually I may take it to the track but I don't want to go until I'm confident it won't get laughed out the track

Old 12-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

And Fabman I appreciate it didn't even know what a bump steer kit did I literally just heard they can help with suspension so I got one I'll have to look into it

Old 12-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you aren't experienced in working on a Mustangs suspension it may take longer than a weekend. Each of the items took me quite a bit of time to do. Coilovers by themselves took about 8 hours. Panhard Bar was like 6. Torque Arm was another 4-6ish.

If you do them all at the same time do the subframe connectors first, then control arms, the Panhard bar, then the torque arm, and when those are all on you will be able to put in the coilovers in direct replacement of your springs.

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And Fabman I appreciate it didn't even know what a bump steer kit did I literally just heard they can help with suspension so I got one I'll have to look into it

It's a painstaking process that has to be done correctly or you will only make it worse.
I see a lot of guys who just bolt it on with everysingle graduated shim in the kit.
They are all different sizes for a reason. LOL.

Tuned by AED
Old 12-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yup ^

That's why I haven't even done a bumpsteer kit on my car.

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My neighbor runs a speed shop so he is coming over to help so hopefully it won't be too awful long. Now you have me worried about the bump steer kit lol I think I'll wait to put it in till after every thing else is on and I can focus on getting it right

Old 12-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eventually I may take it to the track but I don't want to go until I'm confident it won't get laughed out the track

This is the entirely wrong attitude to have Everett... I have never seen anyone get "laughed at" at the track... We may "chuckle" a bit, and then probably give that person some advice to help them become more proficient. Everyone is just out there to have a good time and I have seen people having fun out there in cars that aren't really designed for the track. And some of them do quite well!
When I started Auto-xing, my car was Terrible! The suspension was completely worn-out and I had, less than ideal, tires. I still went out and tried to make the best out of my crappy setup and I learned a lot and had a great time and met a bunch of nice people!
I think that your driving skills improve faster if you have to learn in a not-so-good handling car first. And when you're slow that day, you just do like everybody else, BLAME IT ON THE CAR!!! Haha. Only everybody out there KNOWS that it isn't the car!

"If it's a choice between buying parts for your car or going racing... Go race. The experience is much more valuable than the parts will be".
-Bob Bondurant-
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
This is the entirely wrong attitude to have Everett... I have never seen anyone get "laughed at" at the track... We may "chuckle" a bit, and then probably give that person some advice to help them become more proficient. Everyone is just out there to have a good time and I have seen people having fun out there in cars that aren't really designed for the track. And some of them do quite well!
When I started Auto-xing, my car was Terrible! The suspension was completely worn-out and I had, less than ideal, tires. I still went out and tried to make the best out of my crappy setup and I learned a lot and had a great time and met a bunch of nice people!
I think that your driving skills improve faster if you have to learn in a not-so-good handling car first. And when you're slow that day, you just do like everybody else, BLAME IT ON THE CAR!!! Haha. Only everybody out there KNOWS that it isn't the car!

"If it's a choice between buying parts for your car or going racing... Go race. The experience is much more valuable than the parts will be".
-Bob Bondurant-

-Bob Bondurant-

^^^This^^^

Tuned by AED
Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Very first time I went to an autocross was a month after I bought my mustang. It was also completely stock at the time.

It's not a matter of having parts to make you faster, if your car is completely stock you can still put a beat down on other nicer cars through just experience.

I recommend taking it to an autocross at least once before putting all those parts in.

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

My first racer was an autocross car that was super powerful and very slippery.
I then switched to an entry level Stock car (Oval track) that was under powered and pushed like a big dog.
I learned to win with both. Stock cars get banged around a lot-especially in the entry level classes and the handling can change drastically from week to week or lap to lap. You learn to drive anything in any condition and adapt to it. You feel the car and give it what it wants....not what you think it should have. Then once you get into a good handling car and it's maybe 10% off the pace, you can still win with it because you can drive anything.
My team had a mantra back in the day: "As long as one or more wheels are touching the ground, we're racing....and I'm kicking your ***".

A side benefit is that since you have been through so many changes, you learn what the car feels like in every situation and making chassis adjustments become much more intuitive.

Drive the car, but don't over drive it. Learn what it wants like you learn a what a woman wants. Soon you'll be playing that thing like a Stradivarius.

We had a name for guys who never learned this....we called them "Hammer Drivers".
Don't be one of those.

One last tidbit:
You must learn to drive smooth to go fast. Not the other way around.
Just concentrate on being very smooth and the speed will come.
The fastest laps often feel the slowest.

Tuned by AED
Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Well I appreciate the advice guys I guess I will go out then and try like I said figured it would town out bad but if people are as nice as you say why not head out you know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang