Transmission Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
PRoss.20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 213
Transmission Help

I think my car (2004 v6) is putting out about 280 horsepower and I read somewhere that the stock automatic transmission can only take 40 or so more than stock. Also, since I had a transmission shift kit installed it's seemed to start having some troubles shifting properly or slipping sometimes. I was wondering if this is because of the amount of horsepower I am putting out is being hard on the transmission and I need a new one? Also, if I got a new one I would need a GT transmission for my horsepower? But the GT transmission won't fit with a v6 motor. So basically should I look for a new v6 transmission or should I just try and make it last until I have the money to just swap the engine and the transmission at the same time? I'm just worried about the v6 transmission going out on me before I have the money to swap it all. Thanks for any ideas, comments, or advice!
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
What do you have done to be putting out that much power?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
PRoss.20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 213
210 horsepower stock, CAI, throttle body, off-road xpipe, flowmaster exhaust, GT rear end with 3.73 gears, with Bama tune. Just going off the estimated gains from everything, running higher octane fuel, and the performance tab from the Bama tune app I have which said 300+ hp when I tested it but I figured that would overestimate.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Are these post real???
I hurt from laughing so hard right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
I would say you are putting out 200-220 to the wheels

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
PRoss.20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 213
Yeah to the wheels, but more than that is going to the transmission. the transmission isn't rated on how much horses a car puts to the wheels.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
PRoss.20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Are these post real???
I hurt from laughing so hard right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Great help!
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
Great help!
Your stock transmission can handle the power level you are at no problem. Try changing the fluid to pen oil synchromesh at 3.2 qtz. It is probably just over filled

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
PRoss.20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Your stock transmission can handle the power level you are at no problem. Try changing the fluid to pen oil synchromesh at 3.2 qtz. It is probably just over filled

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune

Thanks man, I'll try that.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
kingstrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Clarksburg
Region: Maryland
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
Also, since I had a transmission shift kit installed it's seemed to start having some troubles shifting properly or slipping sometimes.
Sounds like this is your problem, not a few extra ponies from a couple of bolt ons. I would take it back to whoever installed the kit and make them fix it.
__________________
2014 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium with nav, RR and comfy packages, 3.73 limited slip axle and optional 19" machined aluminum wheels. Come hang out in the garage and check out my build so far!
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Your stock transmission can handle the power level you are at no problem. Try changing the fluid to pen oil synchromesh at 3.2 qtz. It is probably just over filled

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
He has an auto so this fluid won't work in it
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
PRoss.20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 213
Well I still will check the fluid level
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
He has an auto so this fluid won't work in it
I missed that part thanks JDM lol

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,578
If the issues started when the shift kit went in then I'd bet the person who put it in boogered it up. I'd take it back to them and tell them they messed something up.

As for your power... car is in no way close to 280. They are stock 195, the 4.0L makes 210. With your mods you are probably making 190-200 to the rear wheels. Adding up the advertised mod power gains (always exagerrated) and adding them to your crank HP is called "paper horsepower" and is never right.

Like I said, take the car back to the shop that did the shift kit and see what's up. Transgo has issues relatively often if that's the kit you used. Most ppl with 4R70ws (what you have) just J-mod them which is better and cheaper than a shift kit and has the added benefit of increasing transmission life.

Oh, as far as the 4R70w trans, they are good for way more power than you are making. Even if you were making 300 wheel hp it wouldn't even be breaking a sweat.

Also, have you had your tune re-burnt since you put the shift kit in? Bama is not the greatest tuner in the world but they should be able to adjust your shift points.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
PRoss.20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If the issues started when the shift kit went in then I'd bet the person who put it in boogered it up. I'd take it back to them and tell them they messed something up.

As for your power... car is in no way close to 280. They are stock 195, the 4.0L makes 210. With your mods you are probably making 190-200 to the rear wheels. Adding up the advertised mod power gains (always exagerrated) and adding them to your crank HP is called "paper horsepower" and is never right.

Like I said, take the car back to the shop that did the shift kit and see what's up. Transgo has issues relatively often if that's the kit you used. Most ppl with 4R70ws (what you have) just J-mod them which is better and cheaper than a shift kit and has the added benefit of increasing transmission life.

Oh, as far as the 4R70w trans, they are good for way more power than you are making. Even if you were making 300 wheel hp it wouldn't even be breaking a sweat.

Also, have you had your tune re-burnt since you put the shift kit in? Bama is not the greatest tuner in the world but they should be able to adjust your shift points.

Ah, I thought I read somewhere the 3.9L took it up to 210 but maybe it was 200? Also, when they installed the shift kit they also installed a deeper transmission pan. First time after installation I had to take it back because it would slip if I gave it any gas at all. Turns out they didn't hook something up right so they fixed that, but they also had a lot of trouble getting the fluid to the right level but it was completely fine for a while after I got it back the second time but I guess maybe the fluid level is just off by a little bit and wasn't noticeable at first? It was the shift kit american muscle sells with the new valve springs and plates I believe. I did have it retuned after I had the kit installed.

I guess lots of people disagree how much HP the trans can take? I've seen some people say 40 over stock to 100 over stock. My bad though I thought they meant power to the crank not to the wheels.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
Ah, I thought I read somewhere the 3.9L took it up to 210 but maybe it was 200? Also, when they installed the shift kit they also installed a deeper transmission pan. First time after installation I had to take it back because it would slip if I gave it any gas at all. Turns out they didn't hook something up right so they fixed that, but they also had a lot of trouble getting the fluid to the right level but it was completely fine for a while after I got it back the second time but I guess maybe the fluid level is just off by a little bit and wasn't noticeable at first? It was the shift kit american muscle sells with the new valve springs and plates I believe. I did have it retuned after I had the kit installed.

I guess lots of people disagree how much HP the trans can take? I've seen some people say 40 over stock to 100 over stock. My bad though I thought they meant power to the crank not to the wheels.
Welp, if the trans was fine before these goobers had to take two tries to install a shift kit... 2+2=4.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
madman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 55
Transmission Help

Will I be able to put a Tremec t56 tranission in my 99 new edge? Will there be any fitment issues ? #help


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
madman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,578
No they bolt right in but it may not be the best choice because of the gear ratios in the T-56 if your Mustang isn't making enough torque or doesn't have steep enough gears.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
madman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 55
I was looking around I'm doing a coyote swap n eventually throwing turbos on it so I. Red something that'll hold


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
madman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,578
What is your goal with the car? If you are already auto then just get a properly built 4R70w and then when you go to the Coyote you can install a manual controller. A good 4R will hold a ton of power.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
madman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 55
Isn't that a trans in a f-150? And my plans are to have a road coarse street car to play with


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
madman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you change a manual transmission to an automatic transmission 2007 mustang? Ekon General Mustang Discussion 3 12-18-2011 04:09 AM
Pleasee help me, transmission change Steelerdude90 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 07-17-2008 11:43 AM
transmission stuck in 3rd gear need help theglory 1979-1995 Mustang GT 18 02-15-2006 11:20 AM
Need help with transmission *Pictures* Brent Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 12-12-2005 04:07 PM
Transmission Question: 1997 V6 Automatic Transmission ?? svtmustang88 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 12-09-2003 05:49 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:33 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.