Transmission Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Transmission Problem

I have a 99 mustang with a 3.8 engine and auto transmission. The other day it started not wanting to go into drive. You could rev the engine up and it would take hold and work fine. It would switch gears with no problem. When I would stop I would have to rev the engine up again to get it going and then it would work fine again. Now it want go at all except in reverse. It will go into reverse with no problems just won't go forward.
tnriche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Check fluid. If fluid level is ok then have tranni serviced

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Fluid is good. I changed the filter and fluid when it first started acting up but it didn't make any difference. I figured I would have to put another transmission in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
When you replace your filter it only removed about 4 quarts. When you have your transmission serviced they basically pump new fluid through the entire transmission, until all the old fluid has been completely removed. There's is about 11.5 quarts of fluid in the entire transmission most of which is in your torque converter. Replacing the filter only removes about 4 quarts of fluid that's in the transmission pan.

cozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
And define rev the engine? By that did you mean you had delayed engagement? Delayed engagement could be caused be lots of things. (Most likely your 1st gear transmission band needs replaced.) if you forced your transmission into gear while its having an issue building up pressure for first gear, that could definitely have destroyed your band, and will need rebuilt. If it works with reverse right away it's more and likely not a pressure problem though. Since the transmission needs the most pressure in reverse. Has the car ever been tuned?

cozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #6

Reverse works perfect, just as soon as you put it in reverse it will take hold. Yes you had to rev the engine and then 1'st would take hold and it would work fine until you stoped. Then you would have to do it all over again. It's actually my sons car and we haven't had it very long. The original engine had droped a valve so I replace it. As far as I know it hasn't been tuned. I will probable just put another transmission in it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang