Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Lifter tick and scraping metal sound among other things

882 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Cmccully 
#1 ·
Hey everybody!
I have an 02 3.8l that's having quite a few issues. Starting about 7 months ago my engine began making a scraping noise when I would accelerate at lower RPMs. It started only in first gear then went to first and second and then all the way to third. I don't think it does it in fourth yet. When I let off the gas a little the sound stops.
It also burns through oil pretty quickly, and I believe it might be leaking onto the clutch plate since the clutch was replaced a little over a year and a half ago, and it already needs replaced. It goes through a quart in about 600 miles. I haven't checked inside the clutch housing for any oil yet.
I do need to mention that about a year ago I changed my oil and my friend put the oil cap back on but didn't tighten it at all. That lead to an empty engine and a big stain on my hood insulator and probably the lifter tick I have now.
Also, something I haven't run into, when I park on a hill with my hood at a higher elevation my car has a really rough idle. It sounds like a super lopey, cammed over car.
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.