1999-2004 V6 Mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

1999-2004 V6 Mustangs

Hello Mustang owners!
I hope to soon be joining this wonderful circle of Mustang owners. Right now I'm looking to purchase a 1999-2004 V6 Mustang, can anyone give me some input or let me know what some common problems with them are? I can guarantee it won't affect me buying one in any way, I've wanted one since I knew what they were. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, some mods, upgrades, or cosmetic upgrade ideas would be appreciated too! Thanks!
-Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ChaoticJay0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I currently own a 2003, I absolutely adore it. Small things are a CAI (cold air intake), better gears, Auburn Hp Slip differential (not a necessity but definitely worth it), and one thing would definitely be a duel exhaust. True duel is great, but at the very least grab cat-back. Away from performance/sound there are tons of appearance mods for these cars. I personally have the chrome grill inserts with chrome "mustang" emblem, new headlights, taillight, and just for ****s and giggles I threw on some Green led accents. Just check out American Muscle, browse around and find what you like the only real negative thing is the breaks or pretty crappy but nothing major. A minor thing is those pesky one wheel burnouts but that will be fixed with a differential.

Robbymyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm subscribing but just so i can see people tell you to get a GT
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
They have a low power issue but it can easily be fixed with a $500 nitrous oxide system
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

I've heard a lot about American Muscle, been told they have really cool stuff. I'm not looking to get a GT, I've been told you can have just as much fun with a V6 as you can with a V8. I definitely like the idea of new headlights and taillights. Anyone have some recommendations? I also would like to see what the chrome grill insert looks like.

ChaoticJay0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Region: North Carolina
I would recommend the gt personally. I own a v6 and I absolutely love it, it's a fanatic drivers car that can be had cheap, but having driven a friend's gt, it's just got so much more power and that v8 sound is amazing. Just my 2 cents though
Matthewgentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
power aside, i reccomend the v8 because its cheap and easy to work on, as well as very reliable. otherwise, its still a good car. if you want power, id start off with a good priced gt to start. if you want the car for being a car, then nothing wrong with the v6. seen plenty hit high mileage. just dont buy a v6 then start lookin into swapping for gt parts, like some people do.

as for nitrous, i reccomend turbo instead. your gains dont rely on a tank other than your fuel.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
1999-2004 V6 Mustangs

Regardless of v6 or GT, sequential tail lights look great. Was one of the first things I did to mine and I haven't regretted it since. Caught a sale from AmericanMuscle.com and got them for $60 free shipping. The splice kit was out of stock so they upgraded me to the plug and play ones for free. Awesome website and company

On a side note, I got a V6 and am now working on getting a Mach 1. I love the V6 but ended up wishing I had gotten a GT later on. Still a great car though. If you can drive a 5 speed, get the 5 speed. V6 + auto = misery

Iryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
1999-2004 V6 Mustangs

I've currently got a gray v6 blacked out. Smoked sequential tail lights, smoked halo LED headlights, 2 12" black racing stripes, black spoiler, and my baby's, my 18" black bullitt rims, 9" in the front, 10" deep dish in the back. No engine mods as its my high mileage daily driver.

No engine/performance mods (yet). Mach 460 sound system, 2 12" alpine subwoofers in a custom box w/ 1800watt kenwood amplifier. Smoked halo headlights, smoked sequential taillights, black bullitt staggered rims, racing stripes, and plastidipped spoiler. Future exterior mods - Chin spoiler, black fuel door, and demon fender flares (plastidipped).
2000v6_Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421939431.358367.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	174002 this was just after putting them on, that night was cool too, Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421939471.030781.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	174003. Anyway, someone made a good point, we own a dealership and I've driven just about every model mustang from the 2003 SVT to the Mach 1, the SVT was the only one with a major difference (it's badass) but due to the fact my V6 is a manual transmission, switching to even the Manual GT wasn't a huge difference. Both are fun to drive. The only real difference was the downshift to third, I felt a significant power punch but besides that not different. Once you get an exhaust that makes the V6 sound good, it's not a MAJOR deal. Anytime you are looking for power, it's all about your income. I've seen multiple v6s kill GTs (stock GTs) true, in the long run the GT can become more powerful, but with that you are constantly upgrading, one positive side to the V6 is no one expects much power or condition, but when you do end up showing out and winning a few races, it really blows people away and from experience people have thoroughly enjoyed listening to me brag about my little V6 with its upgrades. Enjoy what you have and take care of it. That's what matters. For the time 25 mph isn't terrible either

Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

^^^^mpg not mph

Old 01-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Being I haven't see really significant issues with the v6 but they are very good engines. If you want to look into get some power out of it. Consider the supercharger from a t-bird super coupe.
On a side note the most miles I've ever seen on a car was a 2000 v6 mustang it was 400,000 miles but owner tells me it's close to 450 now.

If there's one thing I know it's Popsicles!
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular

All original WOW
Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticJay0212 View Post
Hello Mustang owners!
I hope to soon be joining this wonderful circle of Mustang owners. Right now I'm looking to purchase a 1999-2004 V6 Mustang, can anyone give me some input or let me know what some common problems with them are? I can guarantee it won't affect me buying one in any way, I've wanted one since I knew what they were. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, some mods, upgrades, or cosmetic upgrade ideas would be appreciated too! Thanks!
-Justin

Main issues with the car are it has no power, hard to make power,takes some money to make it not look like a v6 and finally hard to resell

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Main issues with the car are it has no power, hard to make power,takes some money to make it not look like a v6 and finally hard to resell

Making it perform like a GT does take some money, but making it look like one can be easy. Especially if it came with a pony package, all it takes is a dual exhaust upgrade. Due to the fact that mustangs can be so diverse, the only big difference in body from GT to V6 is the hood scoop and rear bumper.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

My car right now just looks like a lowered gt mustang even though i spent so much money on gt parts

superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Regular

3.8 ftw
Old 01-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticJay0212 View Post
Hello Mustang owners!
-Justin

From experience with mine, exhaust leaks, (getting either flow master or Borla asap) issues with odometer having a cold solder making it cut off then back on while driving..as far as power goes, yea, not the fastest of fasts..was going to make it a v6 supercharged, but I'm debating just doing a total engine swap to a 351w..I personally get American Muscle catalogs, but mainly just to look at them. They are a tad too pricey when I know I can get other after market upgrades for a lot lower cost else where...
truedeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
v6 mustang