Preparing car for 2700 mi. trip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Preparing car for 2700 mi. trip

I am taking my 01 mustang 3.8 on a ~2700 round trip from my location in VA to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Tx. It has ~180,000 miles but no mechanical issues apart from a exhaust header and small coolant leak. Both of these are going to be taken care of before hand. Just fixed my error code p1518 issue (intake runner stuck open.) It will be driven non stop, around 21 hours including pit stops. I know I'm going to hear "I wouldn't take your mustang that far" but I don't really have much of a choice. So if anyone has any great advice on how to prepare my car for this, I would appreciate it, don't want to come back with a car that barely runs. I have 29 days to prepare.

P.S. If anyone has any advice for this long drive, please inform me. Longest I've gone non-stop is 7-8 hours, which was the drive down to the beach.
Iryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Preparing car for 2700 mi. trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryan7 View Post
I am taking my 01 mustang 3.8 on a ~2700 round trip from my location in VA to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Tx. It has ~180,000 miles but no mechanical issues apart from a exhaust header and small coolant leak. Both of these are going to be taken care of before hand. Just fixed my error code p1518 issue (intake runner stuck open.) It will be driven non stop, around 21 hours including pit stops. I know I'm going to hear "I wouldn't take your mustang that far" but I don't really have much of a choice. So if anyone has any great advice on how to prepare my car for this, I would appreciate it, don't want to come back with a car that barely runs. I have 29 days to prepare.

P.S. If anyone has any advice for this long drive, please inform me. Longest I've gone non-stop is 7-8 hours, which was the drive down to the beach.

What's wrong with your exhaust manifold and where is the coolant leak coming from? I would also just make sure you have fresh oil in the car for the trip so your not driving on oil that needs to be changed midway through the trip. Check all of your fluids before and during the trip. Check your tire pressure before and during the trip. Have a roadside emergency bag with you like a blanket, few bottles of water, flashlight, and some protein bars. I'm sure others will tell you what else you should bring as well for such a long drive. But that's what I would be doing and gathering first before a long trip like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #3

I always travel with a toolbar, full size spare tire, jack, and

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

*toolbag and jumper cables because you never really know

Its_vickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
check fluids/belts/hoses/tires too. I will caution that after 12 hrs on the road the not everything ya see will be real. I suggest doing each leg in two days as after 21 non-stop hrs it will be 12 hrs b4 you can function again. Drive till you start to see the lizards find a hotel eat/crash wake up and with any luck you will be 2/3rds of the way there and only have a manageable 6-8 hr drive to your destination and you will still be functional.

two alternatives save the mileage on your car and rental with unlimited miles and if you are picking up someone have them ride the gray dog
Old 01-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's leaking somewhere, I believe the flange. Haven't had time to look into it. Also, when I give my car a lot of gas, antifreeze leaks from the inlet or outlet pipe to my heater core. Looks like a coupler on the pass side firewall.

Also, thanks everyone for the good advice. Jumper cables are a small thing I probably would have overlooked

Old 01-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
check fluids/belts/hoses/tires too. I will caution that after 12 hrs on the road the not everything ya see will be real. I suggest doing each leg in two days as after 21 non-stop hrs it will be 12 hrs b4 you can function again. Drive till you start to see the lizards find a hotel eat/crash wake up and with any luck you will be 2/3rds of the way there and only have a manageable 6-8 hr drive to your destination and you will still be functional.

two alternatives save the mileage on your car and rental with unlimited miles and if you are picking up someone have them ride the gray dog
Thanks for advice, I'll consider staying somewhere 6-7 hours away from Lackland. Wasn't in my original plan, but it does seem like the smarter choice.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
We made two 8,000 mile trips with our mustang last year.
AAA
Is your friend.
24kmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I agree with the first one, fluids, oils..etc, a typical tune up really. The only other thing is try Sea Foam spray in the intake, it's suppose to clean out everything. Also treat your gasoline with the little shot of whatever you really want to use. All this is just to clean and help the vehicle run better. Go ahead and get tired balanced and rotated. Alignment would be a good idea, simply because that much driving, if the alignment is even slightly off it could ware your tires unevenly. Oh, and this isn't huge, but if you can, run Unleaded Plus or even Premium through one or two times. Some will say there is no point, but it doesn't get anything, pls it burns better.

Robbymyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbymyman View Post
I agree with the first one, fluids, oils..etc, a typical tune up really. The only other thing is try Sea Foam spray in the intake, it's suppose to clean out everything. Also treat your gasoline with the little shot of whatever you really want to use. All this is just to clean and help the vehicle run better. Go ahead and get tired balanced and rotated. Alignment would be a good idea, simply because that much driving, if the alignment is even slightly off it could ware your tires unevenly. Oh, and this isn't huge, but if you can, run Unleaded Plus or even Premium through one or two times. Some will say there is no point, but it doesn't get anything, pls it burns better.

Alright thanks. I usually sea foam every 2-3 oil changes so it's about time to. Again, thanks everybody for the good ideas and suggestions.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I suggest picking up a charger stick for a mobile device. It can charge during the ride and if/when your phone dies in time of need, you can simply plug it in and charge with ease. The guys have covered 90% of the basics for such a journey! I also suggest getting a general idea of the layout of where you'll be going, and any rest stops on the way to your destination.

tsteevs_foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteevs_foxbody View Post
I suggest picking up a charger stick for a mobile device. It can charge during the ride and if/when your phone dies in time of need, you can simply plug it in and charge with ease. The guys have covered 90% of the basics for such a journey! I also suggest getting a general idea of the layout of where you'll be going, and any rest stops on the way to your destination.

I actually just picked two up, great idea.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Why are you going to Lackland Air Force Base?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Why are you going to Lackland Air Force Base?

Going to a close friends graduation from basic

Old 02-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryan7 View Post
Going to a close friends graduation from basic

Have a good trip and be careful. You are subject to search and seizure on the base.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I suggest packing a co-pilot. It's a lot more fun to drive that far with somebody, you can alternate driving if you get exhausted (if you don't have a problem with other people touching your steering wheel ;D), and when the sun goes down, it's much easier to stay awake with two people. Pack plenty of water, too. Maybe a big case of water bottles. Dehydration sucks when your operating a vehicle.
Jaytraeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang