Lowering Springs Advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Lowering Springs Advice

Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum. I have an 01 mustang v6 on 17in cobra rims. Its stock height and i recently got my hands on some B&G lowering springs that lower the vehicle 1.75in. I just wanted to know if that is too low for my car.

Also this is my daily driver and i really don't like that 4x4 look my car has.
Bshan2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Welcome! Yes I'd say you are very new lol.

I have heard of B&G springs but I didn't know they offered any for mustangs. Either way, 1.75" is a moderate-low drop. If you leave your stock isolators in (black rubber pieces around the spring ends in the front & a rubber dish on the bottom of the spring in the rear), the drop won't be terrible for daily driving. There may be some driveways or entrances you might scrape on but overall it shouldn't be terrible.

Do keep in mind that most of the aftermarket springs stiffen the ride up noticeably. On a smooth road the ride isn't harsh, but take a minute to think of how many smooth roads there actually are where you live.

I would suggest some caster camber plates or camber bolts at a minimum to get your front geometry back into spec after the drop. An alignment will be required regardless of what you do.

Depending on their condition it might be helpful to get new shocks/struts since you're already tearing that area apart. If the spring load is not properly matched they will accelerate wear on the shocks/struts.

From what I've seen, most guys daily driving their cars choose springs that lower the car 1.25"-1.5". That range is a comfortable drop that looks better than stock height, but is still very streetable.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #3

Region: Texas
Thanks for the help and advice! A few people have told me not to lower it but mustangs look alot better lowered. Do you have any suggestions on some good brand struts and shocks?
Bshan2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshan2416 View Post
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum. I have an 01 mustang v6 on 17in cobra rims. Its stock height and i recently got my hands on some B&G lowering springs that lower the vehicle 1.75in. I just wanted to know if that is too low for my car.

Also this is my daily driver and i really don't like that 4x4 look my car has.
Nothing is too low as long as you enjoy driving it and don't mind how it rides. I daily drove my car and jt was lowered 2.5". Just make sure you have some decent shocks and struts, I liked the Tokico D-Spec struts that I installed on my car. Look at Koni and Bilsteins for other options as well. For a drop that low I would look into installing caster/camber plates as well in order to get your alignment back into specs.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang