5W-30 vs 10W-30 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
5W-30 vs 10W-30

Is it ok if I use 5W-30 during the cold season and the 10W-30 during the warmer season. I live in Los Angeles, so it's almost always warm here. Should I stick with 5W-30 for the whole year? Or should I change to 10W-30 when summer hits?
PiojoA7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Stick to 5w. I live in az and I'm sure its hotter here than there and I've had no problems

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Avenge seven fold kicks ***
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

5w30

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Stick to 5w. I live in az and I'm sure its hotter here than there and I've had no problems

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Avenge seven fold kicks ***

Yeah no doubt AZ is hotter Lol...
Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My car is at 145k and it's starting to burn oil. Will 5W-30 be thick enough for it to stop burning oil?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiojoA7x View Post
My car is at 145k and it's starting to burn oil. Will 5W-30 be thick enough for it to stop burning oil?
Depends on how its burning oil..... Have you done a snap test? Let the car idle for a few minutes and then give it a good quick stomp on the gas. It may or may not blow a tiny bit of smoke out.

HID end all thread
Old 03-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I thought it would only blow black blueish smoke on start up
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Depends on how its burning oil..... Have you done a snap test? Let the car idle for a few minutes and then give it a good quick stomp on the gas. It may or may not blow a tiny bit of smoke out.

What if it does blow smoke?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiojoA7x View Post
What if it does blow smoke?
Depends on how much..

When i do the test on my car when i lift off the throttle a few puffs come out the back end. All signs point to the valve stem seals, happens over time to a lot of cars... Granted mine is a 4.6 so a little different, but same idea applies. It mostly happened when i used 5w20. I switched to 5w30 recently and haven't checked, but it feels like its helping a bit. I'll have to test it again.

There is also a chance it could be the rings if it blows a bit of smoke, that would be more happening when you actually press the throttle down after idling for a while. The reason you can see it then is because it builds up and then the rev lets it all come out.

Although mine does this a little bit i don't even see any difference on the dipstick when i check the oil.

HID end all thread
Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Depends on how much..

When i do the test on my car when i lift off the throttle a few puffs come out the back end. All signs point to the valve stem seals, happens over time to a lot of cars... Granted mine is a 4.6 so a little different, but same idea applies. It mostly happened when i used 5w20. I switched to 5w30 recently and haven't checked, but it feels like its helping a bit. I'll have to test it again.

There is also a chance it could be the rings if it blows a bit of smoke, that would be more happening when you actually press the throttle down after idling for a while. The reason you can see it then is because it builds up and then the rev lets it all come out.

Although mine does this a little bit i don't even see any difference on the dipstick when i check the oil.

I am using 5W-20 currently. When my oil level drops, I'll start adding a qt. of 5W-30 high mileage. Maybe that will help with the oil burning. Thanks for the tip 👍... I'll do the test tomorrow morning.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I wouldnt use 10w anything in a moderate to hot climate like southern california. the 5w is already too thick for comfort for engines. but when it heats up, it gets to the 30@hot viscosity, which is the optimum viscosity for the engine in any ambient temperature. 0w30 would be a lower viscosity at cold, but the same viscosity (as 5w30) when it warms up. if you switch to 10w30, then you are putting more strain on your cold engine. it will have a thicker cold starting viscosity (ambient air temp) but the same running temp viscosity (around 200F). I stick with 5w30 since thats what ford originally intended for the 4.6 2v, even though they claim 5w20 is fine for it, but that lowers the viscosity at 200F, and i didnt notice any change in mpg running a full tank on the highway with either oil, so im more comfortable with 5w30. supposedly 0w30 might be a bit safer for cold starts (even 80 degree weather or higher) and run the same viscosity at operating temp of 200.
hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

This helped a lot. Thank you
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

I have a 95 with 3k on it I've been running 10w40 year round. High mileage. With some Lucas oil. Compressions back to new. Runs like a dream. Winter cold in upper wi. No problems but I tend to let it warm up. Summer Heat. Still no affect so far. (About 2yrs) most would recommend light in the winter and heaver in summer. If I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
markerss232 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang