Eliminator chip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Eliminator chip

Does anyone here have an eliminator chip in your V6 instead of a handheld tuner? If so can you tell me your experience with it.
rosad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I dont have it but i considered getting one. I almost prefer it since i dont plan on doing a lot of modding, and if i do, i just need to send it out to AM to get it reflashed. But i do like the idea of having a little remote switch that lets you change between tunes, stock, and a valet mode that limits the speed, and then a engine no start mode for theft. But if you are looking at new upgrades coming up over time, then that will be the downfall. you still get free tunes, just the hassle of shipping it out to get a new tune installed.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosad View Post
Does anyone here have an eliminator chip in your V6 instead of a handheld tuner? If so can you tell me your experience with it.
Hey Rosad,

Although you will definitely love the gains you get with the chip, I would highly recommend sticking with a Handheld tuner like the Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner.

With the handheld, your opportunities are endless! Not only is it easier to tune, update, and re-flash your car, you also have the option to scan for trouble codes, clear them, etc.

Although this is for a different year (we are working on getting more videos up ASAP) check out this video, it will explain the tuner some more:

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks for the info. Where does the plug for the handheld tuner plug into? Is it the same area where a chip would go on the passenger side kick panel, or is the port located elsewhere?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ODBII port. just like scanning for a check engine light. under the steering wheel, kinda where your knee is or a little below, tucked away in that corner down there. Its a trapezoid shaped plug. /:::::\
Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That seems easier than fiddling around with a chip
Old 03-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

way easier. they each have their perks. but as far as ease goes, the handheld is very easy. the chip is quicker to switch between tunes, assuming you need to suddenly shut the car off, flip a dial to switch the tune, then turn it back on. otherwise you plug it in, and go through a quick process. maybe 5 minutes maximum.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info. Where does the plug for the handheld tuner plug into? Is it the same area where a chip would go on the passenger side kick panel, or is the port located elsewhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
ODBII port. just like scanning for a check engine light. under the steering wheel, kinda where your knee is or a little below, tucked away in that corner down there. Its a trapezoid shaped plug. /:::::\
Rosad,

Fenix is correct and his diagram is awesome . It plugs in extremely easily!

Quote:
That seems easier than fiddling around with a chip
So much easier, I would highly recommend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
way easier. they each have their perks. but as far as ease goes, the handheld is very easy. the chip is quicker to switch between tunes, assuming you need to suddenly shut the car off, flip a dial to switch the tune, then turn it back on. otherwise you plug it in, and go through a quick process. maybe 5 minutes maximum.
I completely agree with you on this one Fenix, although with the tuner once you get used to the process, it will only take a few minutes of your time. In my opinion, the pros highly out-weigh the cons.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out!

-Will
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If i plan to do a few bolt ons and nothing else, will the tuner still be more beneficial than the chip, or in this case would the chip be a better option?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
If i plan to do a few bolt ons and nothing else, will the tuner still be more beneficial than the chip, or in this case would the chip be a better option?
i owned a chip on my v6 and i had issues with my car turning off on me due to a corrupted chip it worked for a while then reset or erased itself while i was driving almost killed me i was on the highway and every thing locked up on me and the car turned off kinda scary and it kept happening till i found out it was the chip. i would have to hit my computer on the passenger foot well just to get her to turn back on now imagine trying to do that on the highway i literally drove around with a crowbar by my side to hit the sweet spot to get her to turn on. its cheaper than the tuner but idk if its what your looking for. but hey who knows u probable wont have the same problem but then again i didn't think it would happen to me so if i had the choice now i would go with the tuner.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
I would definitely still go with the tuner. The possibilities are endless and you do not want to lock yourself into the chip.

You never know when you will want to or need to tweak or adjust the tune, check a CEl, etc. I would highly recommend that you go with the tuner.

Hope this helps!

-Will
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang