Rear end...can't find it. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Rear end...can't find it.

Anyone in the NJ area selling a used 8.8 rear end? I want to pick it up. The hell with shipping. It's ridiculous. 300$+ to ship. It is not worth the extra amount of money. I need to pick it up myself, and I've been looking everywhere for one. Ebay is useless when all of the stuff 10-15 hours away, and they'll destroy me on shipping.

Why, oh why didn't Ford just get a 8.8 limited differential for the V6 instead of this crap open differential 7.5 POS? I was thinking of just building my 7.5 to make it stronger...and get a T-Lock and get power on both wheels instead of one, but what is the point? It could break the minute I hit 300 rwhp. I am looking at my goal of 350-500 rwhp (spray + boost) and there is no way the 7.5 can handle it. It is a waste of time, effort, and money trying to build that. But man...it is nearly impossible to find a 99-04 8.8 anywhere.
fordmustang3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Feels like the junkyards here in western va are littered with them. Have you walked a junkyard around your area?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Craigslist
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Rear end...can't find it.

The problem with craigslist is that typically the guy knows exactly what he has and charges accordingly. Not saying it's impossible to get a great deal that way but less likely. What I find about junkyards is if you find a mom and pop one that will let you take a stroll through, you can find one that had all the best options without paying the extra cost.

Example:

You want 8.8 with track loc and 3:55's

You can expect to pay a premium when you get specific.

Go to junkyard, ask hey what's a ford rear end gonna run me? Don't get specific. They see most of this as a flat price and it's usually double what they would get for scrap anyway. So they say ehh 175

Then you go dig around and find the one you want and act like its no biggie. I have scored so many great parts this way. Don't educate them on how desirable the parts are because they just start jacking the price up.

Also I find they are more flexible if you offer to remove the part yourself. Which also can benefit you as you can leave brake lines attached and not cut them ect. Again, they don't care.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Regular

I agree with you on that but not all mustang owners know what they have. Remember that these cars are just daily drivers to some people
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Helpful advice from the other poster thanks

Found one for 600 at a junk yard, 101k milesused. Worth it? Im not a genius when it comes to the drive train but he told me they have a 3.27 8.8 posi

Also what exactly do i need to look for in the rear end to see if its an okay to buy?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Seems high for a junkyard unit, but already removed with brakes attached and a warranty I suppose it's not too bad. Look for play in the wheel bearings (should not rock back and forth if wheels are on it). Take the inspection plate off and ensure the teeth don't look chipped or worn/ sharpened due to play. Look at the bottom of the unit inside for metal shavings or pcs of metal. Also look at the pinion seal and see if it's leaking at all.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
I couldn't find one when I was looking a few years ago. Well, I couldn't find one I would trust on MY car. The ones I found were laying around, some stuck in dried mud, and they were all total crap. I would be told that there are only _T_H_I_S_ many miles on that one. Really?

If I bought any of those I would have had to have it torn down and inspected and rebuilt. Add THAT to the price of a junk yard deal. I can't do that sort of gear work myself. I have no experience and of course no tools for that kind of job.

Instead, I bought a brand spankin' new Ford Racing axle with a 3.73 already in it. Yeah, a bit pricy but the ford dealer near here did NOT charge me shipping and installed it for the price about equal to a couple of other shops I would have trusted. I thought I got a pretty good deal. New axle, Ford installed, few worries.
twk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just pick one up on Craigslist. I see them all the time anywhere from $100 - $250. I paid $120 for one & just bought New Ford Racing 3:73 Gears for it for another $140 & had a great 8.8 for a decent price. You know the rear end doesn't have to come from a Mustang.
I can't remember what the length is but it's 1.5" longer than the Fox Body Rear End. Long as it's the same length you can take it off a Lincoln, Cougar, T-Bird, etc.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Where in the hell do you people find a complete rear end with brakes for 100-250?

wtf. The lowest I've ever seen was 300. Everywhere else...$500+
Old 04-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Craigslist in the Phoenix area
Old 04-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That explains it
I live in NJ, where everything is inflated besides gas price.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah they are cheap out my way also. Junkyards will charge more for a mustang part that why I suggest not mentioning that before hand
Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It could be that Mustangs are very plentiful in this area. Seems like everyone has one. If I walked around the block I'd see at least 8 Mustangs on the block. All the junkyards have at least 10 Mustangs & most of the junkyards have half price day about every 6 weeks. Great prices when that happens. When I built my 5.0 I picked up a set of GT40 3-bar heads for $45 & the upper & lower intake for $45. you might want to see if your junkyards have any 1/2 price days. Just a thought.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I found a used rear end for $400
Issue? Guy lives an hour and 30 minutes away.

Another issue? How in the world is the rear end suppose to fit in my car? My car is a 4 door sedan. I don't have any trucks. There is no way to rent a truck with the amount of money I have to pay because it's so far, it is ridiculous. None of my friends have trucks, nor my father.

What can I exactly do?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Don't the rear seat fold down giving you the length of the trunk plus the back seat ? That's how I got mine home in an 04 Mustang.
$400 seems high to me. I guess it depends on how fast you want it. I'm sure you can find one cheaper.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Don't the rear seat fold down giving you the length of the trunk plus the back seat ? That's how I got mine home in an 04 Mustang.
$400 seems high to me. I guess it depends on how fast you want it. I'm sure you can find one cheaper.
Haha.
Are you serious?
I have fit a lot of stuff into mine, but a rear end seems like it would be too heavy and awkward to put back there without potentially damaging something.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Haha.

Are you serious?

I have fit a lot of stuff into mine, but a rear end seems like it would be too heavy and awkward to put back there without potentially damaging something.

I put an entire IRS assembly in a rental Ford Focus. Lol. It did jack up some stuff but it was a rental so hey.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:20 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I wrapped it in a blanket. The guy I bought it from fed the rear end through the trunk & I was in the back seat guiding it in & nothing got damaged. It's not that Heavy....just bulky. I'd guess it was around 100 lbs. at most. Anyway, nothing got messed up in my car doing it.
When you got no other way & you want something bad enough...you just go for it.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Too bad you're not in this area. There's one on C.L. right now for $100.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Would it fit inside a 4dr sedan '98 Honda Accord? Lol
Old 04-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure how big or how much room the 98 has. If it's as big as the newer ones....then no problem.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wrapped it in a blanket. The guy I bought it from fed the rear end through the trunk & I was in the back seat guiding it in & nothing got damaged. It's not that Heavy....just bulky. I'd guess it was around 100 lbs. at most. Anyway, nothing got messed up in my car doing it.
When you got no other way & you want something bad enough...you just go for it.
It is entirely possible that I could just be a weakling...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428524667563.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	179471  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure why you quoted me & said that ???? I got my 8.8 when I wanted it. As far as the guy feeding it & me guiding it ...it was so I wouldn't damage my car...not because I couldn't lift it...lol.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Funny pic though
Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got an 8.8 rear that had 60k on it with 3.73 gears for $200 on craigslist 👍

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JimmyMosqueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Every time I read the name of this thread, I can't help but think about the time I lost my a**.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure why you quoted me & said that ???? I got my 8.8 when I wanted it. As far as the guy feeding it & me guiding it ...it was so I wouldn't damage my car...not because I couldn't lift it...lol.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Funny pic though
If I have to explain it, then it isn't funny...

I hauled two large truck springs that are 5 feet long and the pair of them was probably close to the weight of an 8.8. I put them in the car, and removed them, by myself. It was a pain! I was nervous about dropping one or dinging up the car!

And that is correct! If you are determined enough, you can usually figure out a way to get the job done.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Every time I read the name of this thread, I can't help but think about the time I lost my a**.
Same with me...
I normally can't find my *** with both hands!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Okay now I found one for 300$ and 120k miles. stock gears though but that's okay
Old 04-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

This is going to be the stupidest question I've ever asked but will this used 8.8 rear end affect the H&R Springs I currently have?

Guy told me the 8.8 is fine, could use new brakes because it's been out 4 months, and new shocks, and has a minor leak.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Same with me...
I normally can't find my *** with both hands!
Bahahaha! I got your back my brother.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE:
Found many great rear ends for a great price

Situation? It won't fit in the goddamn car. And it's all out of state so the rental trucks will cost me at least $200. Hell with that

I don't know what to do. I have to find one at least only 10-30 minutes away, and instate, but that's the problem. I'm limiting myself already in a small pool of sales that will cost me a leg in this pathetic state that inflates everything.

Moral of the story?
You want a Mustang and do modifications on it? You sure as hell better have a truck there either as your DD, or a carry because then you run into BS like this.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have a hard time believing as fairly densely populated as New Jersey is that you can't get whatever you need rather easily. Your just talking to the wrong people.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I have a hard time believing as fairly densely populated as New Jersey is that you can't get whatever you need rather easily. Your just talking to the wrong people.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
You better believe it. The bastards here either overprice the **** out of their items, or it's all messed up.

I've been looking for several months, and I STILL can't find anything for a good price. I'm not paying 700$+ for a used rear end. That is completely ridiculous, and I have no idea what the hell goes in their mind thinking anyone will pay that amount, especially when it's only in average condition.

Last rear end I found the guy wanted 750$...because it had 40K miles on it. Over in PA, or Delaware I found one for 200-250 and it had less than 80k on it.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I paid $280 for totaled 2001 mustang GT, my idiot cousin wrecked it and I paid to get it out of impound. He then used triple A to tow it to my house.

The rear end was fine, and I even go his cai to work. The 4.6 ran, kinda... I just ended up selling the rest with my old 7.5 rear bolted up to it. so it still rolled atleast.

the 8.8 I got had the brake pistons turned sideways, and the differential cover had no gasket. bought new brakes, differential fluid and a gasket.

Pretty happy with doing 2 wheeled burn-outs and the 3.27's are MUCH better than the stock 2.73's. went from running 16.70s to 15.60's, a good improvement for just different gears, limited-slip diff and CAI.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang