Mach 460 sound problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Mach 460 sound problem

So I recently bought a used 2001 that has a Mach 460 Sound System. Now I have read other posts about similar problems but non has answered my problems. All speakers work in the back, only tweeters work on the door.

IDK what this is
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	182575

Name:	IMG_1403.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	182576

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	182577

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	182578

I looked for a plugin and could not find any

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	182579

Couldn't find a plugin

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	182580

Couldn't find a plugin

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	182581

So the 3 wires that are unplugged, could they be the cause? and also which of the the two boxes is the amp?
Dasan458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I don't think that boston amp is oem at least mine didn't have it and it has a mach stereo
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
I don't think that boston amp is oem at least mine didn't have it and it has a mach stereo

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Iryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Region: New Jersey
The Boston is definitely after market and the smaller silver one is the remaining stock amp in the rear{one on both sides of the convertible top motor}. The Boston is 2 channel amp w/settings under the two screws and options for speaker wiring{but i assume you know that by now}. What head unit are you using and have any of the speakers been changed? The 460 system isn't a straight forward system of just matching wires with aftermarket stuff unfortunately.
oldguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguynj View Post
The Boston is definitely after market and the smaller silver one is the remaining stock amp in the rear{one on both sides of the convertible top motor}. The Boston is 2 channel amp w/settings under the two screws and options for speaker wiring{but i assume you know that by now}. What head unit are you using and have any of the speakers been changed? The 460 system isn't a straight forward system of just matching wires with aftermarket stuff unfortunately.
The stereo is a jvc like this :

And the speakers are Memphis Audio
Old 05-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

And I didn't know there were settings under the panel until you mentioned it. If a pic of the speakers and the Boston control would help, just ask.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

You have to find out the actual wiring of the aftermarket speakers/output to the Boston amp/proper grounding etc. Its hard to diagnose without seeing it. Mixing Mach 460 w/aftermarket audio won't work well unless you either gut{completely bypass all 460 parts} out of the picture or know how to wire specifically for this setup.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

You have controls/filters on the Boston for the speakers its powering. You also have the head unit controls/settings as per JVC. The specs and manual for both are online. I guess in simplest terms, if any 460 speakers or amps are still in the picture you're going to have audio issues, or blown amps at some point.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

If this is not okay to post, I apologize to the mods. CD Receiver with Front AUX - KD-R200 - Specification BOSTON ACOUSTICS GT-20 GT-222 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #10

BTW I could be mistaken but I thought the two amps in the trunk were for the door speakers and the tweeters were powered by the 3rd slightly different looking amp behind/under the original head unit. Looking at your trunk pics the door speakers can't be powered at all and the Boston is only powering the Memphis' wherever they are. This would mean that the wiring was done wrong aka splicing/harness . Its been a long week and I'm extremely sleep deprived so someone else will have to confirm this.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I looked at the back of the radio and saw that no wires were missing. It seems all speaker wires are there, just have to follow all the wires around. Ugh I hate to have to tear apart the inside D: Also do I have to have an amp for the front speakers? maybe ill look into the stock one. It was unplugged and I plugged it back in but nothing happened. Also can someone shed some light on the unplugged wire harness behind the Boston in the pic?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasan458 View Post
I looked at the back of the radio and saw that no wires were missing. It seems all speaker wires are there, just have to follow all the wires around. Ugh I hate to have to tear apart the inside D: Also do I have to have an amp for the front speakers? maybe ill look into the stock one. It was unplugged and I plugged it back in but nothing happened. Also can someone shed some light on the unplugged wire harness behind the Boston in the pic?
I've been doing a lot of research into the Mach460 system as the Mustang I bought last week has the system and its been modified, terribly so, if I might add.

Evidently, Ford uses a low power sub input and most aftermarket head units do not, therefore you probably will not have success using the front amp. It appears to me that whoever wired my front speakers ran a new wire from the head unit to the sub in the front doors. Both front speakers in each door work and sound great.

As for the connection, it appears to be the connection to the old stock amp that Ford originally used. They used two, identical amps to power the rear speakers. The Boston in yours appears to be functioning for both sets of rear speakers, therefore they disconnected the other rear amp. Mine are totally disconnected, and the rear speakers don't work. I will be working on getting this all working in the very near future. If I'm successful, I will follow-up.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ragtop_russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

This may help.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1433252854399.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	183949  
Old 06-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So does that mean the problem isn't the amp in the trunk? Is there an amp behind the radio. I'm sorry but I'm a little confused
Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

is there supposed to be an amp for the front speakers behind the radio?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
is there supposed to be an amp for the front speakers behind the radio?
Is my understanding that the is an amp for the front speakers under the radio. It is a ford amp and only accepts a low level input, most head units have high level output so they won't work. Now I may be wrong, but I believe that both front speakers (4) run of that amp so it is interesting that you only have 2 fronts working. Have you perspired the door panel to see if they wired your fronts directly to the new amp, or to the head unit. Also I understand if you don't hide the correct plug in back of the radio, things just don't work correctly.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I took the radio out and it seem all wires were professionally (better than I could ever do) hooked together. But there is no amp underneath the radio. an yes the speakers are hooked up to the stock wire harness.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I took the radio out and it seem all wires were professionally (better than I could ever do) hooked together. But there is no amp underneath the radio. an yes the speakers are hooked up to the stock wire harness.
That said, not sure where you go from here. I did find some wiring diagrams when doing some research on the system. I can send them to you if that will help, just get me your email.

Also, once I go through my install, which I am site isn't going to be fun since I'm sure the previous owner butchered the wiring. Maybe I'll be able to help further, but in do buddy, I don't know when that will be.

Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

OK Ill pm you then. But later this morning (since it's after 12am) I'll take pics of the radio, the wiring splices, and the speakers in the door panel. Idk if it will help but I will post here anyways.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	IMG_1448.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	185163 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	185164 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	185165 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	185166 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1452.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	185167 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	185168

I think the blue wire harness goes to the rear speakers. Or it just turns into the Orange one going into the Boston amp.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Great job on the pics.

If I were to guess, I would say the Blue shrouded 4 pair wires from your head unit are powering the two speakers (uppers) in the back, The RCA plugs go to the Amp in the back and then the Orange wire (4 pair) from the rear amp is driving the lower (subs) in the back.

When you say the, the tweeter's in the front are the only speakers working, are you referring to the tweeters shown in the picture, the Coaxial lower door speakers, or the Tweeters in the corner of the window (Mach 460) speakers?

I'm wondering if the installer Capped out (by the way, this can be done within the newer head units via menu, or physically by inserting the correct resistor in the speaker wire) the lower range in the front, a pro once did this to my install years ago. But mainly, I'm trying to verify if your lower speaker is working at all or if only the upper is working.

ragtop_russ

2000 Ragtop 3.8 V6

2010 Explorer EB 4.0 V6

Gotta love them sixers
Old 06-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

When I mean tweeters I mean the triangular speakers on the other side of the door from the mirrors (The Mach 460 speakers). And the orange wire on the edge on the radio is actually the antenna wire. The two pink and white plugged in beside to the antenna go to the Boston amp. The thing is IDK where the 2 orange wires coming out of the Boston amp is going to cuz it is definitively not up front.

Edit: P.S. Ill take pics of the tweeters if need be
Old 06-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I mean tweeters I mean the triangular speakers on the other side of the door from the mirrors (The Mach 460 speakers). And the orange wire on the edge on the radio is actually the antenna wire. The two pink and white plugged in beside to the antenna go to the Boston amp. The thing is IDK where the 2 orange wires coming out of the Boston amp is going to cuz it is definitively not up front.

Edit: P.S. Ill take pics of the tweeters if need be
Now I'm Clear. And yes I agree totally on the Orange Wire from the radio. The orange wire from your amp is going to 2 of your rear speakers.

Now, as for the door speakers, I'm not sure about that one.

Did you get my email(s)?

Have a great night!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I SEE IT!!!!

The front lower speakers were powered by one of the Original Rear Amps!!! So, you will have to splice a wire from the Speaker lead to the upper front speaker and attach it to the lower.

I always have been told that two rear amps powered the four rear speakers.... Not the case at all. This is per the wiring diagram I sent you. They call the lower seakers "Super Sound Speakers" you have two in front an 2 in back.

As far as your current set-up, I would guess it goes like this: Front feeds from Head Unit (HU)
drive the upper Mach 460 Speakers.

The Rear feeds are either running the upper speakers in back, or both speakers on one side which would be weird!

The Coaxials from the HU drive the AMP in back.
The Orange Wire out of the AMP is driving your lower Rear speakers, or the opposite side two rear speakers again would be weird!!!

Lower fronts are not connected!!! Since the original amps were disconnected, one of which ran the lower front.

I would suggest just adding a wire from HU to the lowers in front to solve the situation, I am sure that is what they did in mine.

Any questions???

Let me know what you think and how it goes.
Russ
Old 06-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

So what I understand your saying is splice wires from the Memphis speakers to the 460 tweeters? I will test the rear speakers to see if they coordinate with the blending of sound, Like on the radio turning the sound to rear, then front, then left, then right. What happens I will post.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So the fading works perfectly. It seems all speakers are hooked up the way they should except for the front lowers.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not an electrician so I can't hook the speakers directly into the radio.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Idk if this is relevant but the one orange wire going to the Boston amp is hooked to the battery directly and a fuse. The fuse seems intact but the box has a Memphis m on it and It was damaged in a wreck. Idk how to upload photos from my phone so I will put it up next month after my internet resets.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Idk if this is relevant but the one orange wire going to the Boston amp is hooked to the battery directly and a fuse. The fuse seems intact but the box has a Memphis m on it and It was damaged in a wreck. Idk how to upload photos from my phone so I will put it up next month after my internet resets.
No, power is usually run direct to the battery for an amp.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not an electrician so I can't hook the speakers directly into the radio.
You don't have to be an electrician, you can probably run a 2 conductor wire from the upper speaker to the lower speaker within the door. You may want to call a automotive audio tech to do the work, should be to expensive.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

So I feel really stupid starting a new thread about something so simple. Come to find out when I hooked the speakers up to the tweeters the speakers didn't work. I used the speakers from another car and hooked it into the stock wire harness and found out that nothing was wrong at all except for the speakers. So in the end, the speakers were the only things that was bad. I replaced them with Bose. But now I have to clean up all the mess I made -_-

As an end to this thread I want to thank all who has helped me through this, especially to ragtop_russ. Thank you all
Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I feel really stupid starting a new thread about something so simple. Come to find out when I hooked the speakers up to the tweeters the speakers didn't work. I used the speakers from another car and hooked it into the stock wire harness and found out that nothing was wrong at all except for the speakers. So in the end, the speakers were the only things that was bad. I replaced them with Bose. But now I have to clean up all the mess I made -_-

As an end to this thread I want to thank all who has helped me through this, especially to ragtop_russ. Thank you all
Well, got to say didn't think about that one, but process of elimination eh!

Congratulations and enjoy the tunes!

you may get a kick out of this, when I finally pulled the radio bezel off mine yesterday, the previous owner wired the radio and used MASKING tape for the connections.... oh boy.... sigh....

Take care and thank you for letting me be apart of your journey!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang