Power steering pump whine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 AM   #1

Region: Washington
Power steering pump whine

Hello,
My car:
'04 mustang coupe (base model) 3.9L

Replaced power steering pump.

This remanufactured pump whines only when turning steering wheel. It's audible but pretty quiet during idle.

After many many attempts to bleed all the air out... it still whines when turning the steering wheel.

I am under the impression that Air in the pump or lines is the cause of the whining while turning the steering wheel.

Is it air trapped in the pump that causes the whine?

Is it air trapped in the lines or steering rack that cause the whine?

Where is the air???

But here is what I need knowledge about...

-----------------------------------------------------
With car NOT running...
I jack up the front end... take the reservoir cap off...

When I slowly turn the steering wheel from 1 lock to the other...

The fluid level rises while I'm turning the steering wheel... probably close to 2 inches.

When I let go of the steering wheel at the lock... the fluid level then drops to where it started (cold fill level.)

What is this fluid level rise and fall a symptom of?
-----------------------------------------------------

Is it Air in the pump or air in the lines?

A air leak? (there are no fluid leaks that I can see... and I've looked.)

When the engine is running... and I turn the steering lock to lock... there is no rise and fall of the fluid level.

Hoping maybe someone can educate me a little more about the specifics or details of how power steering pumps work... and where the air that is trapped that is causing the whine.

Thanks!
1life1fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
the ford pump is one hard animal to bleed.we used to get a rubber ball just larger than the ps pump neck, cut a slice 1/2 way through and put a 3/8" vacuum line through,hook one end to vacuum port that went to powerbrake booster push other end intp neck of pump and hold tight,have helper start enging and turn wheel lock to lock several times..you will hear the pump getting quieter..
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
bought my 01 brand new and the power steering pump whined since the first day i had brought it home.after years of listening to it and everyone asking me if it was low on fluid i went to autozone,gotta aftermarket p/s pump,bled pump and it shut up.nice smooth and quiet like it shoulda been from factory.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ford power steering pumps have always been considered inherently noisy. Some, I've noticed, more noisy than others.
I replaced a pump on my F250 that had 550k miles on it and the rebuilt Motorcraft pump that I replaced it with was noisier than the old one!
It has seemed to quiet down a bit now that it has about 30k miles on it, but I still wouldn't consider it as being "quiet".
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
the ford pump is one hard animal to bleed.we used to get a rubber ball just larger than the ps pump neck, cut a slice 1/2 way through and put a 3/8" vacuum line through,hook one end to vacuum port that went to powerbrake booster push other end intp neck of pump and hold tight,have helper start enging and turn wheel lock to lock several times..you will hear the pump getting quieter..
Hi Allydriver1,
Thanks for taking the time to reply,

I have not yet been able to "Vacuum Bleed" the system yet... but that's the next step I think I'm going to try.

My mustang is not my primary source of transportation so it's easy to "put-it-off" ... but I definitely need to.

Once I am able to get that done I'll come back and update this thread and let ya know if it worked.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newedge01 View Post
bought my 01 brand new and the power steering pump whined since the first day i had brought it home.after years of listening to it and everyone asking me if it was low on fluid i went to autozone,gotta aftermarket p/s pump,bled pump and it shut up.nice smooth and quiet like it shoulda been from factory.
Hi Newedge01,

That's where I got my remanufactured p/s pump... from Autozone.

Is the aftermarket pump different than a remanufactured ford pump?

If so, maybe I need to ask them about an aftermarket pump like you got. (or try to find one somewhere... this whining noise is ridiculous!)
Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
i guess i got lucky.summit has one (or did have one) that i was gonna go with in case this one didn't work out.it was around $150.00 w/free shipping. a bit pricey i know but its high performance.do you plan on doing any mods or have you done any mods at this time?it might be a good upgrade for future mods or should work great with out them.sorry i couldn't have been more helpful.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang