3.8 V6 Exhaust system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
3.8 V6 Exhaust system

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new exhaust system for my 2000 V6 mustang. I will only be replacing the mid pipe back, I'm not gonna mess with headers or anything right now. I think I've decided on an H pipe instead of x pipe because I read that the x pipe can decrease back pressure too much for a lower performing V6 and hurt low end torque making the performance gains little to none. Also I read that the H pipe sounds better on a V6 which is a factor but not the biggest thing. I was wondering if you guys knew any setups that I could put on for ~$500. It has to be street legal because my car is not just a track car. I was looking at maybe a ultra flo dual exhaust system but i would like to hear opinions about other exhaust systems and possible mid pipe options. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
ls1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just throw some flow 10's on it
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
flowmasters!best sound i've heard for a stock system.have you thought about cai w/tune.sure would go good with that new exhaust.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newedge01 View Post
flowmasters!best sound i've heard for a stock system.have you thought about cai w/tune.sure would go good with that new exhaust.
Yea I actually already bought a BBK performance CAI haha, I don't know if I was gonna tune it tho
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
i actually have the Pypes system from the headers back with the x-pipe and man it performs.its sounds great with the comp cam thats installed.lopes very nice.but if your doing cats back i think a h-pipe and some flowmasters would do the trick.i'll be going to flowmasters later myself.wanna get some use outa these Pypes mufflers that came with the kit.i can't complane because honestly they sound good as hell.get compliments all the time.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newedge01 View Post
i actually have the Pypes system from the headers back with the x-pipe and man it performs.its sounds great with the comp cam thats installed.lopes very nice.but if your doing cats back i think a h-pipe and some flowmasters would do the trick.i'll be going to flowmasters later myself.wanna get some use outa these Pypes mufflers that came with the kit.i can't complane because honestly they sound good as hell.get compliments all the time.
That's awesome! I love the rumble of a badass exhaust. I was looking at H pipes but they are pretty expensive, I've got a pretty strict budget. Would you recommend built in cats or something with them already on it.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Yes, stay with the H-pipe idea, it will give you better Sound and better Low End Performance. I went with Magna Flow pipes, Got the Aggressive ones on my Mustang and the Low Sounding ones on my wife's Camaro LT. Both sound excellent. Many people have a hard time figuring out which Camaro she has, they don't see a "SS" on it but it kinda sounds like one.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Mac prochamber and flow master 10's. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I'm running the Dynomax #19438 system on my 1999 -you know, the junky kind of system that bolts up to the factory Y pipe.

I had it installed at a shop that modified the stock Y pipe by smoothing the 2 to 1 merge and making that merge in to a 2.75" inside diameter pipe. I had them do a mirror image of that to the Dynomax kit. When bolted together, the "single pipe" run is short and pretty much like an X-pipe only further downstream in the system. This has the effect of accelerating gas flow right before it splits and hits the mufflers. At idle, it has a fairly quiet, deep rumble, which goes to a throaty roar at 5.500 rpm.

I did it this way for the same reason Ford stuck with the Y pipe -to keep the gas flow through the system high over the operational rpm range of the engine, which is one of the contributors to the relatively flat torque curve these engines have. It was just as important to me to preserve the "graphic picture" of the factory torque curve as it was for me to increase max torque output. My torque peak is 50 rpm higher than it was stock, but it makes about 12 ft/lb more torque than it did stock. That's not all due to the exhaust system, but I don't think it's getting in the way of making the power I want.

As it is now, with a first recommended overbore, earlier Mustang 3.8 cam, extrude honed intake manifold, revised ECU mapping, and lots of attention paid to balance and blueprinting kinds of things in assembly, the engine is good for sending 165 hp and 192 ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheels. That's with an automatic trans, a 7.5" rear loaded with 3.73 gears and Auburn limited slip, and spinning sticky Pirelli P235/60 15's on the stock wheels. The car runs around 15.7, which math says it should do for the dyno'd output at a curb weight of 3,250 pounds with me in it.

Not impressive, I know, but I'm an autocrosser and club road racing track day and backroad corner carver kind of guy and not a drag racer, so I'm okay with the power out put where it is. As it is, the car has the same acceleration and top speed as the Porsche 924S it replaces. I'm okay with that.

None of this rambling is meant to suggest that it's wrong to ditch the Y pipe. Rather, it is meant to suggest that sticking close to the architecture isn't ALWAYS as wrong as some would suggest. Like many things automotive performance, there is more than one means to an end. I opted for this one and it works for me and what I really use my car for.

If I were a drag racer or setting up a pure road racing car, I would do something different with the exhaust than what I elected to do.

It was less than $500.00 for the system, the install, and the mild customizing I had done in the install process.
threepointeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I purchased a jegs brand H-pipe for my old 98 for under $149 shipped. I used it with a gt oem catback for awhile. Nice lil rumble but I later cut off the oem mufflers and replaced them with the thrush welded mufflers. The entire system was 2 1/4" piping best part no drone with 3.27 & 3.73 gears automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Having gone through several setups on my old stang, the mac prochamber paired with the Flowmaster 10's and all 2.5" tubing was hands down the best.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Having gone through several setups on my old stang, the mac prochamber paired with the Flowmaster 10's and all 2.5" tubing was hands down the best.

Add some longtubes and it will sound very similar to a v8
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
well i'll say from owning both a 2004 GT at one point and now owning another 2004 v6 with a prochamber setup (been through flowmaster, mac, and currently running bullit mufflers) nothing much will get it to sound like a v8. that's just odd firing vs even firing...but it'll sound amazing.

i just ordered some flowmaster 10's today so when they get put on in a week i'll toss up some before and after vids going from bullits to 10's

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust