What should I sell for? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What should I sell for?

2004 comp orange 40th anniversary 3.8 115k miles automatic

Appearance mods
- side mustang vinyl stripes
- vinyl hash marks
- tinted tail lights
- sequential tail light mod
- grill delete
- chin spoiler
- 27% window tint
- shorty antenna black
- black plasti dipped rims
- mustang letter decals on rear bumper
- black plasti dipped spoiler
- black fog lights
Inside
- Orange plasti dipped trim
- pioneer after market double radio
- white face glow gauges

Performance
- k&n cai
- Mac off road prochamber with flow master 10 mufflers (true dual)
- lowering springs can't remember brand
- 8.8 rear axel with 4.10 gears and limited slip differential
- new shocks struts and control arms in front

I may be missing some minor things but that's the most of it. I live in Colorado Springs so what do you think I could get for it?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Milehigh STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
What should I sell for?

I'd say maybe 3. Possibly 4 on a good day. Or at least that's what some dencently modded V6 new edges go for around here.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Wow the market must change a lot based on location because I see stock 6ers goin for 5 in worse shape than mine

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

What should I sell for?

That's what GTs are going for here. Had a customer come in with a clean 99 GT Auto 56,XXX miles, on it wanting 6.

Pick your poison.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I might as well price high and then lower it if it doesn't sell

Old 07-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
It depends on the location mainly. Here in Kansas your not going to buy a 99-04 gt that's in good shape with anything short of 8 to 9 thousand. For a reference the average base model v6 usually sell here for about 5-6.

cozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm more in the market like you ^ so something decently modded like high 6? Low 7?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I would post for around 6,500 and then have some good room negotiating room to drop to the 6,000 or a 5,500 price point.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I would post for around 6,500 and then have some good room for negotiating to drop to the 6,000 or a 5,500 price point.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I sold my 04 vert last year for 4K, about 160K miles

Stevenbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #11

Mods don't increase a cars value man. I suggest around 4k-4500. my car is a clean 03 mustang stock with 86k miles new tires. bought for 3500 in az.

SynergyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Was it very heavily modded?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

They do if you fin the right buyer actually

Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, but where's your location synergy, that's what it all depends on. A simple criegslist search will show you how much you want to sell your car based off of and what others are selling for! In my area a completely stock 99-04 v6 sells for 5-6 grand (private) dealers sell them for more! Plus the add ons give it an advantage to help sell! so If he sells in the average price range and he has the extras he will sell fast! An example would be that my car was posted for sale for 7,000 last spring, I had paid 6,000 because the seller had 3 other people wanting to buy the exact car, because the add ons made it better than the average 99-04 v6 that were selling for about that same price! The 2v's here range from about 7-9 I couldn't find a gt at the time, that was in good shape otherwise they would be priced above average so 8- even 10 thousand. 3v gt's go for about 12to even 18 thousand here depending on the condition and mileage. My main point is there a ton of factors when it comes to selling a car and you can't just give someone a price based off of what you bought yours for. Some areas there's an abundant supply of mustangs which is great and that drives the price down a Ton! But in smaller areas where the car is not as near as common the price is raised since there harder to buy and get in a good condition! Op simply needs to look on criegslist and see what the other 99-04 v6s are selling for to be able to put his car in the average price zone! The extras help out, as they will help the car sell faster!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd say around 4 grand. And that's being generous. You're not going to get more money for a car just because you installed some aftermarket parts into it. In fact, that usually lowers the value of a car unless you find someone who wants exactly what you have. Though, since the 50th anniversary, the value of mustangs has increased and have been selling for more than they're worth (blue book value). You may find someone willing to pay more, but don't expect much. Plus, it's orange. That's a limited market. No offense.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
It always amazes me of the prices you guys have to pay for cars back there.
A young gentleman a block to so away sold his 03 Cobra Replica which was heavily mod'd, headers, CAI, Tune, Lightweight K member, sub frame connectors, lowered, Magnaflow exhaust, short throw 5spd, slotted rotors, caster/camber plates and the car was sliver with R style Cobra rims............and the car had 47,000 miles and he got $4800. He actually started at $5800...............I think it took him about 3 months to sell it.
Your car has a lot of cosmetic mod's, which don't add as much as internal/performance mod's.......................Just saying out here it would be a $3800/4000 car.
I'm trying to buy an 03 bone stock Cobra with 5500 miles for $21k.
After you sell your car you need to make a road trip out West and maximize your next purchase.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm located in Colorado an the prices you guys are giving are insane honestly. No one would buy something for 4 because it is so low it would mean something must be wrong

Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It must be a supply and demand thing...

PM Mile highJDF. He recently sold his GT, so he probably has a pretty good idea of what your car is worth in CO.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

What should I sell for?

Location location location. We sold my cousin's stock 03 V6 for 3,200 with 103K miles. I nearly bought a very clean tastefully modded 04 GT for 4,500. If you can get more than 4 go for it. Around here that would be a dream come true, for a seller.
We have clean low mileage 4Vs going low 10s. 04 Mach 1, auto, 70K, light but good mods, super clean, sold for 12.
Terminators are bringing high 10s, very low 20s same condition.

Pick your poison.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'd list it for 5-5.5k and see where that gets you. A lot of guys seem to list their sixxers for way more than they are actually worth so it can't hurt to list it higher than you're hoping to get. One thing to remember is that mods don't add value. If the car looks clean and we'll taken care of then it will attract more buyers than a car with a lot of mods.

To be brutally honest I would be happy to get 3.5k-4k out of it.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh STK View Post
I'm located in Colorado an the prices you guys are giving are insane honestly. No one would buy something for 4 because it is so low it would mean something must be wrong

If you think those prices are "insane," you'll really think this is nuts.

I bought my 1999 V6 Premium from a high-volume, franchise dealer in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The car had been advertised on the Internet for several weeks before my schedule allowed me to make the 80 mile trip out there to look at the car and several other V6 New Edge contenders on my shopping list. On the day I went shopping, my car was advertised at the Internet Special price of $3,999.00. I arrived at the dealership at 1:00 PM on a Saturday, and when the salesperson who greeted me had to inquire with the desk as to whether the car was still available for sale, and when a lot porter had to fetch it from some mysterious, off-site "back lot," I knew that if I decided I wanted the car, I wasn't going to be paying anything close to the advertised price to buy it.

Once I decided to work a deal, the sale price went to $2,800.00 before I even got in "The Box." Once in the box, two separate trips to and from the desk by my salesperson yielded prices of $2,400.00 and then $2,200.00. And I didn't have to work all that hard. All I had to do was say, "Uh, no, I don't think so." I countered the $2,200.00 by telling the salesperson to go back and ask the desk if the house would rather take $1,200.00 of the $6,000.00 in cash I had on me, or let me and my cash walk up the street to the Hyundai store and try again with the next unit on my list, leaving them to try their luck with the auto auction on Tuesday. That got the salesperson coming back from the desk with $1,800.00, which I agreed to under the condition that I would be able to avail myself of the documentation generated by the pre-sale inspection and refurbishment that Service billed Sales and Leasing for. That got the sales manager out from behind the desk to offer to let me have the car without the documentation I asked for at a sale price of $1,200.00.

This car was 15 model years old when I bought it and it had exactly 192,000 miles on it when I test drove it. That made it a "cash only" deal from the get-go because banks don't normally do conventional auto loans on units more than 10 model years old with over 100,000 miles on them. But I had zero intent of financing a hobby car, anyhow. What that also ordinarily does for a high-volume franchise house is have them treat such a unit as a "wholesale item" from the get-go. Had it been a Lumina and not something with some enthusiast appeal like a Mustang, the person trading it would have been offered wholesale value as a trade in allowance and the unit would have went immediately to the back lot and off to the auto auction with no attempt at all on the part of the house to make a retail sale on it. It was still treated as a wholesale item on the deal that had the house take custody of it, as it rightly should have been, because had I not come along, the auto auction was exactly where the thing was headed.

The house took a gamble when they decided to try and retail the car. That gamble included Sales and Leasing getting billed by Service for the cost of a pre-sale inspection and the cost of a new set of four tires, new wipers, a new battery, and a new accessory drive belt that the prior owner almost certainly didn't install, as well as oil and filter changes for both the engine and the transmission.

A high volume, franchise dealership doesn't typically retail a used unit that they know has flaws which a reasonable person would consider as making the car unsafe and unfit for daily driver use. Any thought of turning a unit in to a retail item stops when the pre-sale inspection report indicates the unit is unsafe and/or has serious potential for immediate failure. The car business at that level is highly competitive. A house like that cannot afford the ill will that they would engender by selling a car with known safety problems and mechanical issues to a cash customer. A private seller with no brand identity to protect doesn't have the same built in motivation. If the car I bought had been a turd, most people would blame the house for screwing them and tell everyone they know that the house did so, rather than taking responsibility for buying the turd. It is not in the house's interest to retail used unsafe junk.

So there was little doubt in my mind that the Mustang I bought for $1,200.00 would make the 80 mile trip from Tulsa back home to Tahlequah and I was so confident about it that I hopped on the Muskogee Turnpike and set the cruise control to the flow of traffic at over 75 miles per hour, sat back in my leather-faced seat, and enjoyed the ride. There wasn't much doubt that I could use the car immediately as a daily driver, if I wanted to, either.

What $1,200.00 got me was a car that had an immaculate black leather interior under all the past owner grime. Everything worked -power seat, power door locks, power mirrors, A/C, cruise control.... Flaws were a missing wheel center cap and a missing side scoop grill insert that weren't missing in the ad photos; those items were stolen from the car in a theft event involving other units stored at that off-site back lot. There was some oxidizing of the clear coat, too.

Fixing the minor cosmetic flaws cost me about $200.00 for a new side scoop grill trim from Dallas Mustang, a used wheel center cap from a place in Minnesota, and $120.00 worth of professional auto detailing supplies.

As long as there are cars in the condition mine was in when I bought it that can be bought from a franchise dealership for $2,800.00 or less, I don't personally see the need to pay more than $3,000.00 for a V6 New Edge at this particular point in their value curve, which is like at the bottom or very near it.
threepointeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:49 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh STK View Post
Wow the market must change a lot based on location because I see stock 6ers goin for 5 in worse shape than mine

More likely is that you see them advertised at five, and how much they're really selling for is somewhere south of that figure.
threepointeight is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang