1999 Mustang Service Engine Soon Light not working - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

Region: Connecticut
1999 Mustang Service Engine Soon Light not working

Hi, my son's 1999 Mustang 3.8 V-6 failed emissions test in CT, Service Engine Soon light does not light at all, even when first turning on the key. Lastnight we pulled the instrument cluster and checked the light bulb, it is fine, even swapped it with one that we know was working, same thing. Tonight I pulled the #8 fuse (20 amp) and it looked fine. I put in a new one, results are the same, light does not come on even when just turning on the key. DMV inspection put code P0455 which is a evap emission control system leak on the failure sheet. Everywhere that I look I see that this can be the gas cap so we bought a replacement and put it on the car. The car has not been retested yet as we're not sure what is up with the light not working. Even though that is the code that they found and listed on the failure sheet could there be more that they may not have or even able to see?? Could the light be reset if we disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the computer codes? Any ideas anyone?
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

Man hard to tell, any wires cut?There should be a 10amp fuse in the fuse box for the instrument panel that powers the light. The light is grounded by the computer.
Have you checked the fuses in the passenger compartment ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SynergyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
the pcm is working if setting codes,saw one come into dealership with black tape blocking..someone had taken cluster apart and put tape over check light.could not tell without taking cluster apart.the code they were hiding was rear oxygen sensor
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

Region: Connecticut
Replaced 15 amp fuse #5 which was blown and the light came on. The light was on for quite some time then the light went out. My son figured the issue went away when in fact it did, the light was not lit but the code would have still been there.

We reset the codes and trying to drive it enough now so it will pass CT emissions testing.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Replaced 15 amp fuse #5 which was blown and the light came on. The light was on for quite some time then the light went out. My son figured the issue went away when in fact it did, the light was not lit but the code would have still been there.

We reset the codes and trying to drive it enough now so it will pass CT emissions testing.
good luck
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
The light gets turned off by the ECM after 2 or 3 driving trips when the condition isn't detected. The ECM however stores the code for a longer number of drive cycles so it can still be read by a scan tool. Since you reset and if it doesn't come back before inspection you should be good to go
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
1999 mustang