What mod next? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

What mod next?

Since I got my black 2002 v6 mustang auto I have tinted my windows, new rims and tires, new headlights, switchback led turn signals, third brake light tint, shorty antenna, spoiler delete and rear wheel spacers & Mac dual exhaust conversion... All rest was restoration parts I added cause of age.

I was wondering what you guys would do next? Lowering? Under the hood? Something else??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ps02stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What mod next?

Post a pic of what the car looks like now just for general referencing, but I'd suggest lowering an inch or inch and a half , 4.10 gears and tune, cai if you haven't just for a little cosmetic flash under the hood. Also what size spacers you got in the rear?

Hear me before you see me
richie895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Next mod should be a wider rear wheel and ditch the spacers. I made the mistake of using spacers years ago and it will never ever happen again. Get the look the right way and go with a 10-10 1\2" wheel, you will be a million times happier that way. The staggered look is amazing on a lowered new edge. You will get many a compliment.

Lowering will really make it look sharp. 4.10's will definitely help the get up and go. A tune is strongly recommended with an auto (the autos in the new edge are awful as far as shift points and firmness), and jmod it. Strut and shock tower braces, add a rear sway bar, upgrade the shocks, brakes, and brake lines. There is also quite a bit you can do cosmetically inside and out. A new edge in my opinion must have the Mach 1 chin spoiler and grille delete. You already did, in my opinion, one of the best cosmetic mods by ditching the spoiler. Other nice little touches are replacing the dome, map, license plate, and trunk lights with LEDs. Add some of the GT fog lights as well. And if you really want to spend the money to take it to the next level, cobra front bumper, heads, and cam it. FI or spray will really help surprise some people if you visit the drag strip, and give you a big smile on the process.

There is quite an extensive list of things you can do to really liven up the 3.8's and make them a lot of fun. But I'll tell you from experience, be prepared to drop some serious coin. They are definitely not the best platform to make a lot of power easy, or cheap. But a well handling corner carver is much cheaper to achieve.

What does your budget look like, and what are you expecting out of the car? Oh, and post some pictures so we have a reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

1st & 2nd pictures were before some more mods
& 3rd &4th pictures are final pictures but are a far less cleaner stang.

Those sound like good ideas guys, thank you. I'm really feeling doing some grille work in the near future as well as a CAI cause those are easy on the pocket. I ain't really looking to go all out as far as money I got a job, girlfriend and stuff. I'd say keep it around 500 or 600 for now.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439422017.508618.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	189248Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439422032.193666.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	189249Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439422045.961850.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	189250

My goals are really to turn heads at school cause it's my senior year and also I love working on my car and seeing what new I can do to it, it's a addiction. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439421655.752238.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	189245

Old 08-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #5

Well bottom picture is a older one and the first one are the older ones I guess now lol.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 AM   #6

1 inch spacers

Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It looks good. 5-600 will limit you a good bit. I'd definitely say grab the SCT tuner with MPT tunes for 400.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And of course some Raxiom Icon tail lights would really set it off. I think mine were 324, or maybe it was 374, from American Muscle.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
well i agree 100% on losing the spacers. Safety first if you ever plan to take it to a track day. although if it's just a high school cruiser just be safe and don't do anything dumb while running them lol. Lowering it is always a nice touch. Strut tower braces and rear shock tower braces add to that firm feel even more. Also a rear sway bar is a must. why ford never put them on coupe v6's ill never know besides being cheap

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #10

I have noticed a small vibration since putting on the spacers at speeds over 55..... I was just looking at some tower braces on American Muscle plan on buying some grille delete parts next paycheck.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You can thank the spacers for the vibration most likely. You'll love the look of the grille delete.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps02stang View Post
I have noticed a small vibration since putting on the spacers at speeds over 55..... I was just looking at some tower braces on American Muscle plan on buying some grille delete parts next paycheck.

yeah lol i'd take them off asap. i've had a back wheel come off my car before while on the interstate. nothing is as scary as being passed by your own driver rear wheel and tire ^^.

grill delete will look great. are you getting the 2 piece or 3 piece kit. 3 piece will look alot cleaner but usually costs like $10 more

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Shocks/struts/springs

Then get wider wheels and ditch the spacers. I guarantee it'll look much better.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
yep,set er down about 1.5'' drop and remember....friends don't let friends drive with spacers!lol!from all the stories i've heard they should be outlawed.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
You can thank the spacers for the vibration most likely..
Maybe he can thank the spacers for his vibration. I run spacers on mine without any issues. But spacers are like a lot of aftermarket products in that you often don't get what you aren't paying for in terms of quality.

I have a hard time believing that spacers are inherently evil. But then, I did once pay close to $20,000.00 in 1989 dollars for a car that came with them from the factory. That car was a Porsche. The same company that made the O.E.M. spacers for Porsche makes them for Mustang applications, too.

Those are what I'm using.
threepointeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
well i agree 100% on losing the spacers. Safety first if you ever plan to take it to a track day.
I reckon you wouldn't have taken a Porsche 924S, 944, or 944 Turbo on the track, then, because many of them, and other Porsche cars besides, came off the assembly line with wheel spacers.

If they're made right and installed properly, I can't see why they'd be any more of a problem on a Mustang than they were on my Porsche.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointeight View Post
Maybe he can thank the spacers for his vibration. I run spacers on mine without any issues. But spacers are like a lot of aftermarket products in that you often don't get what you aren't paying for in terms of quality.

I have a hard time believing that spacers are inherently evil. But then, I did once pay close to $20,000.00 in 1989 dollars for a car that came with them from the factory. That car was a Porsche. The same company that made the O.E.M. spacers for Porsche makes them for Mustang applications, too.

Those are what I'm using.
He said he put them on, then had the vibration. It stands to reason they are the culprit in his case. I did say "most likely". All he has to do is take them off, run it again, and then he will know for sure.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
He may have got the old AM non-hubcentric $50 spacers.

If one wants wider wheels out back, get a wider wheel.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
He may have got the old AM non-hubcentric $50 spacers.

If one wants wider wheels out back, get a wider wheel.
Some people don't want a wider wheel and tire combo but they still want the advantage of increased track width.

Some people aren't as concerned over conforming with a "look," and earning group-think "style points" from their virtual buddies on the Internet, as they are with conforming to a sanctioning body rule book that might limit them on wheel and tire size while spacers are "free" and can be used if desired.

Not all who use wheel spacers do so because they're too tight-fisted with their cash to spring for a set of cheap, Chinese-made "Bullitt Style" knock-off wheels from one of the major Mustang aftermarket retailers.

You might not see the value or utility in quality wheel spacers that cost more per each than most of the wheels in the AM catalog do, but the things do have their place for some people.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointeight View Post
Some people don't want a wider wheel and tire combo but they still want the advantage of increased track width.

Some people aren't as concerned over conforming with a "look," and earning group-think "style points" from their virtual buddies on the Internet, as they are with conforming to a sanctioning body rule book that might limit them on wheel and tire size while spacers are "free" and can be used if desired.

Not all who use wheel spacers do so because they're too tight-fisted with their cash to spring for a set of cheap, Chinese-made "Bullitt Style" knock-off wheels from one of the major Mustang aftermarket retailers.

You might not see the value or utility in quality wheel spacers that cost more per each than most of the wheels in the AM catalog do, but the things do have their place for some people.

Well not everyone has the $$$ for a set of CCWs or BBS wheels or whatever. And a LOT of car parts including OEM stuff is made over there now unfortunately. Its the world we live in. Maybe if our country passed stricter import/export laws or taxed higher for shipping manufacturing overseas we'd see a lot more jobs and manufacturing come back here. #soapbox.

While I agree that the AM(and others) wheels have a meh clear coat and need probably a little too many weights to balance up, they do balance up and the coat holds up fine if you clean them regularly and don't use the spray on wheel cleaners.

I'm saying not to use spacers from a SAFETY standpoint. At least not the bolt on ones. I've seen a few failures and many more pics in various forums over the years of failures. The ONLY way I would run a spacer is to do longer ARP studs and a sandwich style hubcentric spacer.

Also, having had a set of AM wheels on my last car, they looked damn good and when one of them was nicked in the box on arrival AM replaced it and paid all shipping. Even if I did have to wait an extra few days to put my wheels on which I was not thrilled about but it is what it is.

edit: I also never said to get a wider AM/CJP/LRS/Steeda/Whatever replica wheel in my first post. You just inferred it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Let's just start taking the spacer subject on a case by case basis. In the OP's case they are likely causing a problem. Do any of the spacer supporters disagree that he should remove them as part of the process of elimination for his vibration issue?! I think that's fair yeah? If it goes away, then we have the culprit. To make the supporters happy, if they are the reason then he can invest in a higher quality spacer, OR lose them all together. The choice is his, both sides have weighed in. Hopefully this post does not get anyone worked up...

Old 08-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Let's just start taking the spacer subject on a case by case basis. In the OP's case they are likely causing a problem. Do any of the spacer supporters disagree that he should remove them as part of the process of elimination for his vibration issue?! I think that's fair yeah?
In the OP's case, no spacers = no vibration; spacers = vibration.

As an off and on user of spacers, I wouldn't disagree at all that he should remove them as part of the troubleshooting process, because.....

Quote:
If it goes away, then we have the culprit.
Makes perfect logical sense to me.

Quote:
To make the supporters happy, if they are the reason then he can invest in a higher quality spacer, OR lose them all together.

As a "spacer supporter," my happiness isn't predicated on whether or not other people use the things. A lot of people on forums like this one do things to their cars that I would never dream of doing to mine and I'm pretty positive that the reverse is true and I've done things to mine that others wouldn't do to theirs. Personalizing the platform has long been a part of the Mustang ownership experience and setting these cars for personal needs, desires, and tastes is part of the fun.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Personalizing is what makes these cars so awesome. There are 9 million different ways to go. That said, nobody wants to see someone get hurt because they used a cheap part that is known to have issues like some of the bolt on spacers have been. Not to mention if a part like that lets go on the road and they wreck they can take you (figurative you) out with them.

That being said, there are a LOT more dangerous vehicles out there than a well maintained Mustang with spacers... which is scary.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Personalizing is what makes these cars so awesome.
Indeed it does!

Quote:
There are 9 million different ways to go.
Yep. I caq't think of a better platform for grassroots motorsport than a Mustang. Wanna drag? The car can be set up for that, with plenty of aftermarket support to make it happen. Wanna dodge cones in parking lots? You won't be too embarrassed by the competition if you show up in a well-prepped Mustang, and the aftermarket support is out there to make that happen. Wanna do HPDE / Track Days? It can be made to handle that, too. Wanna show old Porsche 944's and Datsun Z cars your tail lights in wheel-to-wheel road racing? A 3.8 Mustang can do that, too. Maybe you just want to build something that looks *****in' for car shows? Or, maybe you want a comfortable grand tourer machine for long cross country road trips that will eat up highway miles effortlessly for 12 hours or more at a stretch and get decent fuel economy doing it? I think a Mustang can do all of these things and more besides, depending on how you set it up. And that's the beauty of it, really. It can be set up to cater to a wide range of car-hobby niches.

And now matter how you set one up, a Mustang never really goes out of style. They're like Porsches in that regard. Nobody really cares how old your Mustang is if it is in well sorted condition. All that matters is that you've got one. And with the excellent aftermarket support, you don't have to throw away the whole car because little bits and bobs of it have become a little trail-worn. It is a car that is easy to mod, easy to maintain, and easy to keep looking and running great for the long haul.

Quote:
That said, nobody wants to see someone get hurt because they used a cheap part that is known to have issues like some of the bolt on spacers have been. Not to mention if a part like that lets go on the road and they wreck they can take you (figurative you) out with them.

That being said, there are a LOT more dangerous vehicles out there than a well maintained Mustang with spacers... which is scary.
Well stated, Sir... Spacers are NOT an appropriate place to be penny wise and pound foolish!! They are definitely an "if you're gonna do it, do it right, and don't half-azz it" component.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I am gonna add something here regarding the spacers. If they are not hub centric, and are instead lug centered I would do this to possibly eliminate the vibration. When installing, make sure the tire and wheel are off of the ground to prevent the vehicle weight from pushing them off center. You need to do this for all spacers for all four wheels. But if it were mine, the spacers would go away unless they were hub centered to begin with. Just my two cents and with inflation, worth even less.
yogibooboorange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang