V6 to gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

V6 to gt?

I've had my 98 v6 for about a year and have been dealing with a big oil leak but haven't been able to figure it out. My dad got under the car and said I've got a main seal leak and said we might have to pull the engine out depending on where it is leaking. So I was wondering. The engine has had problems in the past and has over 180k. (Odometer stopped 2 years ago) so I was wondering if it would be worth buying a donor gt and dropping the engine and trans and everything needed to make it a gt. any ideas? Just looking for tips not insults or any crap. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
98stang6banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
V6 to gt?

Best bet is to sell the V6 for a GT. If you're firm on doing a V8 swap; I'd say go the extra mile and get the Cobra 4V.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I had thought about that but I'm turning 16 and even though it sounds amazing I can't imagine how high insurance would be for a 16yo make In a cobra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And we just get it painted lol and I want to keep the body. It's in amazing shape and has only one Rust hole because the lady never drove it in the winter

Old 08-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
what about a 3.8 swap with less miles and then do mods?cold air intake and tune would get you started and maybe later some exhaust.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've already got a cai and slp loudmouths on it

Old 08-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i have a buddy that has a supercharged 3.8 from a 93 thunderbird sc if your interested.has harness and computer.its in a 97 mustang right now but he wants to pull it and go with a 4 barrel carburated 351 windsor old school set up.him and his son started this project but his son got distracted by girls,got married and moved to chicago.he maybe wanting to sell.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds sweet How much would he want?

Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm soon going to do a swap from either a gt or a cobra if I can find a good deal on one and if you know what you're doing and have mechanical experience then you can do the entire swap for under $1000. You can use a crown Vic or a grand marquis because they use the same motors and you can find them really cheap. As long as you have mechanical experience then you can do the swap easy and cheap, but if not then you may want to find another option
Dillon_fitz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98stang6banger View Post
I had thought about that but I'm turning 16 and even though it sounds amazing I can't imagine how high insurance would be for a 16yo make In a cobra

If your swapping a cobra motor into the v6 then your insurance would be the same
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
If your swapping a cobra motor into the v6 then your insurance would be the same
thats what i was thinking. since they will get you for fraud if they ever find out you did the swap and tried to file a claim down the road as a v6 ^^

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
From what I've read its not a bad swap assuming you have a fair amount of automotive knowledge. One thing to keep in mind if you want to do the swap and drive without any issues you will basically be buying a second car, tearing it apart, and then selling the shell when your done for a fraction of what you paid for it. Or you can buy a GT that needs work (blown engine, trans, etc). and do the repairs as part of the swap and save a lot.

Another thing to keep in mind is when you sell it the title is still a V6 so it will hold its value less then a GT. I would say do your research and make your decision but at the end of the day if you want to do it go for it. We all invest money in our cars that we never see again but as long as you have fun and enjoy it it's worth the money.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

hey 98stang,i'll check on that supercharged 3.8 for ya and see if he'll sell.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
thats what i was thinking. since they will get you for fraud if they ever find out you did the swap and tried to file a claim down the road as a v6 ^^
Pretty sure its fine as long as the engine is from the same manufacturer. The vin will still say its a V6 stang
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Pretty sure its fine as long as the engine is from the same manufacturer. The vin will still say its a V6 stang
Doesnt mean anything when an insurance adjuster looks it over if it ever gets totaled
Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Tons of ppl run swapped cars and pay the V6 or 4 banger insurance. It is what it is. Just don't expect to get the extra $$$ for the stuff you have unless you let them know its swapped and they charge accordingly.

To answer the original question, working on these cars is easy and if you get a donor car then everything is plug and play. I mean you will need to rip out the fuel/wiring/EVERYTHING from the donor and swap it but if you can do the labor... go for it.

Just make sure that the donor car has a good engine and at least a good core for the trans. The 96-98 5 speeds had a lot of issues that got sorted out in 99.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If a V8 is swapped in and not reported to the insurance company, that is insurance fraud. Not only is it a crime, but they are within their rights to deny any claim made under fraudulent pretenses. Yes some people do it anyway. Some people break the law in many other ways. Doesn't make it okay. If one can not afford V8 insurance, then don't drive a V8.

A claim that could have paid medical to a passenger needing it CAN be denied, I've seen it happen. It's not just about being cheap, it could affect someone's life.

With that out of the way, the only way I swap any major components is with a donor vehicle. Saves a bunch in little odds and ends, and makes the whole process easier. I do this quite often with Jeeps, and it saves me quite a headache. Nothing like getting into the groove of things, only to have to stop and go to the junk yard or parts store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

all that being said since OP now knows its a doable process. on the insurance note. I literally paid only $10 more a month for my 04 GT then i do my 04 v6 on full coverage so something to look into.

carving corners like a boss
Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

hey 98stang,if you can,get back with me with a phone# or e-mail.my friend with the 3.8 sc would like to talk to ya.you can deal with him direct.have a good one.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
V8 insurance is not expensive anyway unless you have a ton of points on your license or are 18 or something. If you have a ton of points you probably should take the bus. If you are really young and you want your first car to be a performance V8, insurance is expensive for a reason.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang